Radiator Leak

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Here's the story. Going to work Thursday night, I could see some spots on my face shield that you usually get from trucks thowing oil or coolant. Coming home Friday morning I could smell faint smell of coolant. Looking closer at home, traced it to my bike, seen spots inside of fork space, fluid on left side of air cowl, some on front fender. So today took apart, started engine, up to temp, sure enough, there is a pin hole on top left inside part of radiator. No damage on front side, its a spot that sprays about 3 different directions. Its in the fin part not on the end caps. I will look for ordering a new one instead of trying to get this one fixed.
So I'm down for a while, will try to get one here fast..... like the fast>>>>>>> silver NT. I just passed my 1 year warranty period, 2 weeks ago, with 33,000 miles on it.

OP
OP
Woodaddict

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Whew!!! Thats a job. Its off. It would be a nice try to get Honda to pay for it, as a PM to me had said, but I couldn't wait that long for them to decide and they would want me to take it to dealership and pay labor rates. So its just quicker for me to take it off and order new one. Decided to order new one so I don't have any issues with one that is fixed, not easy to get it off, don't want to play around with the on / off senario. I checked bikebandit - $171.03,, service honda(where i have ordered parts before) $141.60,, powersportsplus - $124.03. Maybe I just found a new parts vendor, found them by searching the radiator # 19010-mew-315. They are in Albany,GA.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Check Google on Power Sports Plus. A few negitive comments from the ST forum.

rcase13

The dealer broke my front pinch bolts by over tightening them. I replaced all four and used PowerSportsPlus. They came quickly and without any problems. Sorry to hear about your radiator. But maybe others can catch up with you on mileage now!!!

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
As an aircraft owner, I'm always ecstatic when I can buy parts for under $200 :broc1: Oh, wait, this is a bike part. Must recalibrate.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I too had a leak in my radiator about a year and a half ago and replaced it new. Getting all the Tupperware off was the biggest part of the job. Cause of the leak was a mystery.

bicyclist

I checked bikebandit - $171.03,, service honda(where i have ordered parts before) $141.60,, powersportsplus - $124.03. Maybe I just found a new parts vendor, found them by searching the radiator # 19010-mew-315. They are in Albany,GA.
Wow, that's cheap compared to a Versys radiator. They go for around $500. I bought a Versys for a very good price because the owner had dumped it, damaging the radiator. I sent the radiator out to Mylers, who straightened it up, welded up the leaks and painted it for about $50. Works fine. www.motorcycleradiators.com

I'm looking around for a radiator to use in a water heater experiment if anyone has a dead one they want to unload. I'm interested in solar energy. Photovoltaics is still too expensive, but solar hot water is DIY. I'm looking for stuff to play around with.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Wow, that's cheap compared to a Versys radiator. They go for around $500. I bought a Versys for a very good price because the owner had dumped it, damaging the radiator. I sent the radiator out to Mylers, who straightened it up, welded up the leaks and painted it for about $50. Works fine. www.motorcycleradiators.com

I'm looking around for a radiator to use in a water heater experiment if anyone has a dead one they want to unload. I'm interested in solar energy. Photovoltaics is still too expensive, but solar hot water is DIY. I'm looking for stuff to play around with.
I have my dead one in the basement. Send me a PM if you want it. It's just collecting dust.

OP
OP
Woodaddict

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I guess I could have Phil's post of "bummer". I am not sick, but my NT is. Will not get my radiator fast enough. They are shipping it 12-28, so I won't get it until 12-31 (if i do next day) or 1-2. I feel sorry for my NT not being able to finish out the year on a strong mileage note, almost as bad as being human Phil! But Phil has stamina, he WILL goto Christmas eve service, so can I talk my NT into getting back on the road sooner too???
At least price was good on radiator. I see Herb had to replace one too. I was able to get off rad by just taking off bolts to the big front / side cowl plastic and flexing them out to see it and get it out.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Woodaddict, your 2012 mileage is so far ahead of all of the rest of us that all we can do is bow in awe. I hope you get back on the road early in 2013.

If the snow I'm hoping for comes and the temperatures stay as low as they predict for the rest of the year, I'm not likely to add any miles to what I've got right now.

OP
OP
Woodaddict

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Alright!! Back on the road. I ordered on 12-22, it came 12-28 in the afternoon, got it on that night and rode to work. I did order it next day air, but I thought that was great service from https://www.powersportsplus.com/.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Great to hear that you're back on the road. Although it's not like you had to worry about some one sneaking by you at the end of the year on the mileage list while you're idle. You the mileage man.

Vets1989

Just had to replace my radiator.
10k on 2010 nt.
Lucy to have a son willing to do the work.
About 3 hours to remove and reinstall plastic. 20 minutes to change radiator.
Replacement has an updated part number.
Sent note to honda to see if they would be willing to offer some help with cost of replacement.
Will let you know their response.

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
Looks like I get to join the "leaky radiator" club. Upper left side of radiator fins, no visible damage on the front. I'll call around for a possible repair, but if not it'll be time to order it.

Oh, well, I'm due for the 12k maintenance anyway and want to do a valve check while I have it apart.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Here's the story. Going to work Thursday night, I could see some spots on my face shield that you usually get from trucks thowing oil or coolant. Coming home Friday morning I could smell faint smell of coolant. Looking closer at home, traced it to my bike, seen spots inside of fork space, fluid on left side of air cowl, some on front fender. So today took apart, started engine, up to temp, sure enough, there is a pin hole on top left inside part of radiator. No damage on front side, it's a spot that sprays about 3 different directions. It's in the fin part not on the end caps. I will look for ordering a new one instead of trying to get this one fixed.
So I'm down for a while, will try to get one here fast..... like the fast>>>>>>> silver NT. I just passed my 1 year warranty period, 2 weeks ago, with 33,000 miles on it.
I am the latest victim of this issue. My leak sounds to be coming in about the same area in the top left corner on one of the bars. No signs of major damages on the front in that area, just some deforming of the fins like someone bumped it with their thumb or a small tool.

I was considering having it repaired locally. I am not sure if any local radiators shows can repair motorcycle radiators of this type or if it is even worth it. I found the OEM radiator for about $145. If I am going in there, I just as well replace all the 8-year-old hoses too.

Any feedback regarding this would be appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I have not had any leaks on mine but if you can get a new one for $145 I would go that route unless you have a rad repair shop that is known for fixing these up without later issues.
Yah, I would probably do the hoses while you are there.

Brad

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I have not had any leaks on mine but if you can get a new one for $145 I would go that route unless you have a rad repair shop that is known for fixing these up without later issues.
Yah, I would probably do the hoses while you are there.

Brad
I ordered all the parts last night from Partsfish.com. I am in it for less than $250 which also includes all the hoses and a few other parts for my other bikes. I should receive everything in about 2 weeks. I am not in a rush as I have other bikes to ride to work in the meantime.

OP
OP
Woodaddict

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
have toon resurrect this RADIATOR post. it hit me again on the red NT. same place, top left, looks like in front. had been seeing coolant come out side vent cowl. just waited to replace my air filter and spark plugs. just thought it would be just "tighten a hose clamp". whodathought,,,,,,,the RED NT comes apart same as SILVER???!!!

Top Bottom