Radiator

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Has anyone experienced a radiator leak? Appears to be a small leak on the upper left side of the cooling coils. A new one is a bit over $150, will take the Tupperware off and try to solder it first. 29k miles.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If you do a Search you may find the previous posts... I know of at least two, and maybe three, folks who have had to replace their radiator....

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Has anyone experienced a radiator leak? Appears to be a small leak on the upper left side of the cooling coils. A new one is a bit over $150, will take the Tupperware off and try to solder it first. 29k miles.
Yup, I did a few months ago in the exact same place. Honda has a superseding part number (19010-MEW-315) for the radiator, which leads me to that they were aware of the problem and updated the design to address it. When I did receive the placement there were some subtle changes to construction and how the mounting points for the fan.

I get most of my parts online from www.partsfish.com. They sell the radiator for less than $150. Use promo code 50OFFSHIP to save 50% off on shipping.

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Be advised that the hoses leading to both cylinders from the thermostat housing had a very long lead-time when I wanted to replace all the coolant hoses. I currently have 2 sets of these hoses as I needed the bike back into service after having it apart for over a month. Let me know if you would like to buy a set of them from me.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
YES I was one who had leak. about 30,000 miles, 1 yr and 2 weeks of ownership back in 2012, on silver. I had a post about it. YUP, upper left inside as you sit on bike. appears to be same area. since it was inside, no rock or stone could possibly hit it

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
YES I was one who had leak. about 30,000 miles, 1 yr and 2 weeks of ownership back in 2012, on silver. I had a post about it. YUP, upper left inside as you sit on bike. appears to be same area. since it was inside, no rock or stone could possibly hit it
I read your post and it led me to replace the radiator. My further investigation pointed to the problem was caused by a design flaw. As I mentioned before that a superseding number was issued to replace the previous one with the design flaw.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
A superseded number doesn't always mean a "design flaw." Most often it's related to mfg cost being lowered by using a different process, change of vendors, etc.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
A superseded number doesn't always mean a "design flaw." Most often it's related to mfg cost being lowered by using a different process, change of vendors, etc.
I compared the two units side by side and there are noticeable changes in the structural frame around the core and the holding points. I am sure that these design updates changed the distribution of the stresses within the structure that led the failures in this particular area on the previous part.

I also notice that the manufacturer markings were similar with a chance on the number imprinted on these units. They both made by the same manufacturer.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
The new parts have shipped, including all the hoses. Guess those are back in stock.
Be sure to inventory the shipment item by item when the package arrives. The packing list will have the entire order printed out and not every item will be in the box. This is based on my personal experience.

OP
OP
silshooter

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The parts are here, all the hoses included. Time to take the plastic off to r&r a few items. Tupperware removal and re-installation is the challenge.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
The parts are here, all the hoses included. Time to take the plastic off to r&r a few items. Tupperware removal and re-installation is the challenge.
Great news. :)

Once you have done it as much as I have, it becomes second nature.

BE ADVISED: If you want to replace the hoses going to both cylinders, you will need to remove the fuel tank, remove and then move the throttle body assembly out of the way in order to get the inboard clamps.

Top Bottom