Rain-x

Igo

I've been using Rain X on my plexi, when I tour, for as long as it has been on the market. I also use it on the mirrors and on the outside of my face-shield/visor. Don't use it on the inside of the visor.
In a good rain, it does what it is supposed to do Water beads up and leaves clear areas between the beads. With no wipers on our bikes, I goes a very long way towards clear veiwing in a downpour.
Know how I discovered this? Broken windshield wipers back in South Georgia many years ago.
I also use this on my glasses for white water rafting.
Give it a try when you expect to ride in the rain.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I second that. I found Rain-x a long time ago when they marketed to airplane owners. The new stuff is even better as it withstands car wipers better.

I have always been a really great fan of the product but only on glass. There have been some instances where Rain-X was caused problems with certain plastics. There used to be a well told story around my neck of the woods specifically not to use it on Goldwing stock windshields. Don't know if it still applies.

Lorien

OP
OP

Igo

Hmmm. Not sure what chemical composition Rain X and Windex share. I know Rain X will not hurt straight Plexi-glass or Lexan.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Whoa! At $24/can, it ought to take anything you want off off and then wrap the cleaned area in an invisibile and indestructible protective shield.

OP
OP

Igo

I use the Rain X for its rain deflection properties so I can see through the visor and windshield in a gully washer. It won't do any damage to straight plexi of laxan. Cee Baileys is straight Plexi.

docta

Here at the Retirement Home, we still use our old standby....Pledge....prefer it in the smaller pump bottle rather than aerosol, but both work.....have been using/carrying it for forty years.......use it on bodywork, face shields, helmets, windscreens, etc., with good results....not only beads/repels water, but reduces bug adherence and reduces the "crazing" effect of small scratches in windscreens and face shields, especially when riding into the sun......cheap and available everywhere....I usually pilfer it from housekeeping staff along with microfiber cloths......newer products may be improved and better, but I have not changed, just as I still prefer to eat cereal with the same spoon I have used for the last 30 years, too.....
Always ride safely and keep your airspeed under control

TW

bicyclist

I was on a ride with a buddy who had Windex wipes. He swore by them for his face shield. I tried them and they really cleaned it up. Unfortunately, they eventually ruined the shield. Windex contains ammonia.

My opinion is that the best way to get bugs off is to give them a good soak to soften up right after the ride and then wash them off. If you don't do them right away, the bug juices eat into the surface and they become permanent.

Pledge might be a good thing to aid cleaning because it contains silicon and the nasties should slide off. Because it contains silicon, it shouldn't be used on any wood furniture that will need to be refinished. The silicon is almost impossible to remove and will contaminate the new finish, causing fisheyes. But woodworking is another subject.

Not that I own stock in the company but I have always been a fan of Plexus. Seens to work well on all plastics and leaves a coating that is useful in rain.

Lorien

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Some wetted newsprint laid on to the screen and on your shield will soften the little critters to where they just wipe off.

elizilla

I have a can of silicone spray that I use to lube rubber hoses and grommets and whatnot. I wonder if some of that, smeared on a clean windshield and rubbed in well, would keep bugs from sticking and make the water bead up, without causing any crazing or haze? I have some old windshields in the garage, maybe I will try it.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
My wife does canvaswork on boats. Strataglass and Glassine are frequently used for windscreens on dodgers and sidecurtains. She says that Pledge (especially the Lemon) when exposed to UV--lots in FL, accellerates the deterioration of the plasticizers in any of the transpearant plastics/lexan. The same applies to Windex because of the ammonia. Armor-All is a definite no no. She was unclear about Rain-X, and would be cautious about its use, especially if the product has a warning for some plastics. She does recommend Plexus for all plastics. Just thought that I would pass her insight along.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My wife does canvaswork on boats. Strataglass and Glassine are frequently used for windscreens on dodgers and sidecurtains. She says that Pledge (especially the Lemon) when exposed to UV--lots in FL, accellerates the deterioration of the plasticizers in any of the transpearant plastics/lexan. The same applies to Windex because of the ammonia. Armor-All is a definite no no. She was unclear about Rain-X, and would be cautious about its use, especially if the product has a warning for some plastics. She does recommend Plexus for all plastics. Just thought that I would pass her insight along.
I have been using warm water, a sponge and a micro fiber towel but after reading about Plexus I may give it a try.

OP
OP

Igo

Some wetted newsprint laid on to the screen and on your shield will soften the little critters to where they just wipe off.
There ya go. I got to try that here in Vegas. But I only get 5 bugs a year.

OP
OP

Igo

Rain X will not effect straight Plexi or lexan over time but I only use it when rain is expected for extended periods of time or I am touring. Its just too much trouble to buff up and isn't as sparkly as Plexus. Still, it won't hurt a thing and works better than anything else in the rain.

Top Bottom