RBIS or similar dash mounting.

Bike
2011 Black NT700
I'm going to mount my phone/gps on the dash via a Ram mount. For those who have done this, is the or did you screw the center bolt up through the plastic like the two end holes?
Just wondering, Clint

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Installed this RBIS mount in 2011 with supplied hardware. Two bolts with large washers to spread load and lock nuts. I use it for a GPS. No noticeable vibration or flexing.

Attachments

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I can't find the post I saw here but SportTouring Gear is discontinuing the NT700 Dash Mounts. Here is a quote posted March 13th on their Facebook page: "Attention NT700v owners. We are blowing out our RAM Ball Dash Mounts. Get 'em before they are all gone." Better get going if you want one....

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
RBIS used my bike when he made the prototype. took most of the day to do with trips to the machine shop that made the production pieces. I rode home with the prototype on my bike and it worked fine. Just not near as pretty as the production piece he mailed me later when it was done.

I have hung any number of things on the mount, GPS, camera, cell phone... the location seems about perfect for visibility. Have had no problems with durability to date and it has been on there for about three years now and still looks great.

Willing to bet if enough folks expressed an interest he would make an other batch of them.

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
I removed the windshield and the two screws on each side of the instrument panel. What else do I need to do in order to separate the two plastic pieces. I'm aware of the clip at the top but was wondering if I missed a screw or something.
Thanks, Clint

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
That's all the fasteners. The panel is very strongly "clipped" to the fairing so some significant effort is required to separate them. The two clips that gave me the most issue where the ones near the mirrors on both sides at the top of the panel. Those things had a death grip on the fairing!

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
I have been toying with drilling holes and using well nuts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK57ONabh-U Would like some feedback. This seems simpler than taking the dash apart just not sure if it would be strong enough for an X grip and cellphone.
Thanks, Clint

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I used one of these
http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065080045083066045049056048085/Default.aspx

Mounted to the top of the dash. To make sure it stayed put I added a couple of screws to it at the front edge.

But, I ended up not liking the dash mount for phone or GPS. My preferred location is over the handlebar mount. Why? It doesn't have as much glare. On the dash mount I was always getting the reflected glare from my jacket when sun was in front of me and from direct sun when it was behind me.

When it is down near the bars there is rarely any glare. Just as easy to look at it.

FWIW, it makes you feel better to look at it up higher, but, it is still just as distracting at that level for me as looking down at the bar area. Quick glance is all it takes.

Top Bottom