Ready for the Riding season!

Got 9500+ miles on the oem Bridgestones..there was still some tread left,but the front tire got so noisy and was cupping so I decided today was the day... I already had a Michelin PR3 sitting in the garage for one of my other bikes although it is one size larger than stock.(160 instead of 150).I figured it would fit..word for the wise men out there...yes it does fit but there is absolutely nowhere to put your hands to fit the brake caliper assembly...it was very tight and might have been easier if I took the muffler off..I have definately. worked on "easier bikes"over the years. decided I will buy the correct size next time....Front tire posed no problems at all....Changed the gear oil in the rear pod and flushed the brake system...should be ready to go for the riding season......

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Well, it's done now! Congrats, now its riding instead of wrenching.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I hope you did not forget to lube the spline with the Honda Moly Grease.

bicyclist

Ha Ha Bear..!..No I am not going to bite.....what spline?? was there something I missed??..
Oh, yes. The final drive/rear wheel drive spline should be lubed every time you change the tire. Lots of talk about it on the forum. Search is your friend.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I going to start to replace my brake pads on each tire change, I had rear pad come apart on a ride (thought I had miles left on them-rotor became toast on a ride). Just cheap insurance, fluid every other year. Since I only get one season out of tires, brakes could last longer, for me not reason not too.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am on the same pads going on 6 years and I drive primarily in city stop and go traffic so my brakes are used a lot although I am not having to pull it down from high speeds were they would see lots of heat. I will be taking the bike in for service and new tires shorty and I suspect they should be ready to be replaced.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I just replaced the front brake pads at 30,000. Mostly short trips locally.
The right side pads were mostly gone, the left side had material left.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've had two sets of front pads, one at 40K and the second one at about 70K on the Epic Ride.

As far as rear tire size goes I've rode my NT700V from Fairbanks, AK to Knoxville, TN on a 160/70/17 rear tire and I had no problems other than the speedometer was wrong. But I always have my mechanic re grease my splines every tire change.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I have wondered about fitting a 160 on the rear but thought that there might not be enough clearance on the LH side with the drive tube. Even with the standard 150 I can't get a finger between the tyre and the steel tube.
The reason that I have wondered about the 160 is that I hoped that it might help correct the trip computer error (fuel consumption).
On my bike the speedo is optimistic by about 4%, the odometer is high by about 2-3% and the fuel consumption is low by about 7%.
I have not done the numbers to see how much the 160 would change the overall circumference but now that I know it fits I shall do that.
I do not even know if the PR4 is available in a 160.

Macka

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Interesting. With the stock size tire, my speedometer/odometer are both within 1%, even though the fuel mileage is optimistic by 5-10%.

OP
OP
Reniram
Yes, I had asked earlier if anyone had fitted a 160 but got no replies..the reason was I already had a pr3 waiting to go on another bike....anyway I looked at it closely and decided it would clear the shaft housing..just..my speedometer was pretty close to actual speed and the 160 has had little effect so I am happy with the end result...The bike now handles like a new one again...I didn't realize what a difference a new set of tires make ..I'll be very happy if I can get another 9500 or 10000 miles out of these Michelins..

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
If you got 9500 miles out of the OEM Tyres, you will probably get twice that out of the Michelin PR-4s. I am very happy with my PR-4s. I got 5000 miles out of my OEMs, 15000 out of my PR-3s, and have about 6000 miles on my PR-4s with many many miles left to go.

OP
OP
Reniram
If you got 9500 miles out of the OEM Tyres, you will probably get twice that out of the Michelin PR-4s. I am very happy with my PR-4s. I got 5000 miles out of my OEMs, 15000 out of my PR-3s, and have about 6000 miles on my PR-4s with many many miles left to go.
Wow!..Yes 9500 from oem Bridgestones...I try to exhibit good riding techniques and I suppose it pays off. Trouble is with multiple bikes in the garage, it could be a couple of years to reach 15000 miles!...I am happy

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Yes, I had asked earlier if anyone had fitted a 160 but got no replies..the reason was I already had a pr3 waiting to go on another bike....anyway I looked at it closely and decided it would clear the shaft housing..just..my speedometer was pretty close to actual speed and the 160 has had little effect so I am happy with the end result...The bike now handles like a new one again...I didn't realize what a difference a new set of tires make ..I'll be very happy if I can get another 9500 or 10000 miles out of these Michelins..
here are some tire mileages. you'll be very happy with extended miles on Michelins. alltho, my last pr4 did not get as good mileage. previous 2 pr4 rear were in the 14K - 16K range. this last tire had a puncture that I patched from inside and some lower pressure days, like 25psi that I rode on for a little bit, but don't think is should have wore off 2,000 - 3,000 miles from that. maybe Phil's noticing that he lost miles from previous pr4 tires may not be a fluke. I put on another pr4, so we will see what this one does.

my rear tire of choice - Michelin PR4
my front tire of choice - Dunlop RSMT2

OP
OP
Reniram
What surprises me these days is the way Both tires (For me) seem to wear out about the same time??....used to be I could get 1 front for every 2 rear....I think the tire manufacturers have matched the rubber compounds...front and rear to wear out at the same time...I am Not complaining..these modern tires assure us a safe ride under all weather conditions, not like they were back in the eighties!.. I didn't realize just how bad my tires were getting , they deteriorate very slowly over the miles and you get used to it...I knew the front was very noisy going into turns and the tread was cupping, but it still didn't appear to be worn out!..still had a little tread left...but now my NT rides like a brand new one again,

Top Bottom