Rear brake pads

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
On my trip Blue Ridge trip I found that once in Ohio, rear brake pads gone. I did about 2500 mile trip with no rear brakes, I figured I'd manage and just replace rotor too. Yes is not the best Idea, but when your with one of those people who work, you make do. I tried not to use
When I got back home the caliper was taken apart, show clean good condition, one of the pads looked like it must of came loose and disappeared the other side had some pad left. I do not believe I am a Sport rider, I not the slowest or the fastest on a ride. I use the front brake almost all the time, except curves, and never race to a planned stop.
I changed the front too, only about half gone and made note of the mileage. I never felt the rear was getting warm (dragging or smell), but the pad just took a vacation while I was on mine ride. I don't think I ever had a pad dislodge from the backing before and watching (the best I could) caliper engage rotor seems okay to me. At the 14K tire change there was what appeared about 1/2 pad left, so I did not change then.
I got a new OEM rotor but quality after market pads, and hope that I got a lot more then 19K out of them. I think when I do rear tire, I'll measure the thickness of the pad, but that will only be about 4,000 (hopefully) miles because I don't think I get 10,000 out of the PR4, I got 10K out of the PR3 and changed them because of long trips planned, there was tread still there.
On tires, I talked my local shop (he does all power sports). and he said he is finding that all tire brands seemed to be not getting the mileage they use too. He a very nice young 'kid' who owns the shop, does all bikes, 4x4, snowmobiles, etc. anything but Harleys. I like this shop because the owner, does lot of the work, and wants to be in business for years. He has already moved to a larger location down the street. He a sport rider and really enjoys both working on machines and riding them. He cost or less but really no the issue, he does not do flat rate pricing.
Man I long winded today, I just meant to talk about rear pads gone I think too quickly.

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
I've not heard of this happening before....I'll be getting new pads front and rear next week when the dealer does my Helibar install....current pads getting a little thin, dealer said with 17500 on it was about right. I don't know, I've never kept a bike long enough to wear out the brakes. Looks like this little NT will be around for quite a while. I'd do the brakes myself.....but with little time and a long ride coming up soon figured I prefer to spend the money.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My rear brake pads have 109,500 miles on them. The fronts were replaced at 71,427 miles. I'm getting close to needing rear pads. The fronts will probably last another 20-30,000 miles.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
A dealer said 17,000 miles is normal for brake pads? What mountains do you ride down where you must hold the brake on all the time?
I sure my front would of last years, but since I was doing the back I just felt lets have a base line. I do not know of anyone who thinks any where near 20,000 miles is normal to replace any brake pads (on any vehicle). I think the pad came apart, and that caused the issue not wear. I do not think I ever replace the pads again with the few miles I ride, it will take me years to get 100K on my NT. And I trying to talk my self out of buying a Goldwing with sidecar and camp trailer: so far I've not pulled the trigger on that, it only $8K and a fantastic setup.
I think Phil's pads are more normal for wear, many miles the pads are made to last.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My pads will not last as long as Phils since 90% of my riding is city commuting requiring a lot of stop and go. I think a large % of Phils riding is highway. It appears I will have to replace mine around 50K.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
I think 50,000 is about right for most riders, an at $30 per set cost is low enough. I just think I have a mechanical breakage on the pad, I have that kind of luck.

Top Bottom