Rear shelf tiedown points added

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Hi Folks,

On a recent trip I was a bit frustrated by the lack of cargo tiedown points on the NT, which are simply the passenger grab rails. The rear 'shelf' above the rear light has smooth sides with no tiedown points. I had to load my big drybag and tent onto the passenger seat and then cinch it down with ROC straps, and the load moved over time as I hit bumps.

There are two 8mm bolts holding down the top of the rear shelf, but they are just hex head bolts and don't serve any purpose but to hold down the shelf to the frame of the bike.

So I ordered two 8mm eyebolts from Grainger Supply, item # 3XTD1, removed the two hex head bolts, and installed these two eyebolts. They install perfectly, and now I have the front of the shelf to use for loads. I haven't tested them out yet on a long ride but will next Wednesday. I'll probably put my tent on the bottom, as its poles will serve as a firm bottom, then put the dry bag on top. I'll use the eye bolts for one side of the ROC straps, then the grab rail for the other, and the load should be very secure.

nttiedown1.jpeg
nttiedown2.jpeg

Attachments

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"Hefty" would be my description of those eyehooks and obviously no worries about them breaking under the strain of the Rok Straps! :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
"Hefty" would be my description of those eyehooks and obviously no worries about them breaking under the strain of the Rok Straps! :)
Yup! They'd come in handy fer stump pullin'!

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Somewhere on this site several years back someone added spacers and foldable loops to the shelf. I added them to mine but didn't pack much and use them all that much. They are handy and when not in use out of the way. I'll look for a pic of them as an option for loads.

Brad

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
You might look through this post for another simple tie down addition. Smaller than what you used, they fold down out of the way when not in use.

Brad

Moto-Kafe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Somewhere on this site several years back someone added spacers and foldable loops to the shelf. I added them to mine but didn't pack much and use them all that much. They are handy and when not in use out of the way. I'll look for a pic of them as an option for loads.

Brad
McMaster-Carr has those "D-Rings" in SS.......I have used a dozen of them on various bikes. You can mount them wherever an M6 is used on the bike (i.e. not just on the top shelf area).

OP
OP
harryhendo
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
When I was in Wyoming recently, with a 40 mph wind coming from the south and a truck passing me at 85 mph, I really wanted something as strong as these eyebolts to which to cinch down my tent and dry bag. :)

Bike
'10 NT700V & '11 NT700V
The Vans Aircraft guys use those rings as tie-down anchors to tie airplanes down. They're plenty strong. There are receptacles riveted to the main spars about halfway out under the wing. There's an approximately 3/8" hole in the bottom of the wing and we just install/uninstall tie-down rings as necessary. My plane lives inside most of the time, so my tie down rings spend most of their time in my trip bag in the baggage compartment.

Hi Folks,

On a recent trip I was a bit frustrated by the lack of cargo tiedown points on the NT, which are simply the passenger grab rails. The rear 'shelf' above the rear light has smooth sides with no tiedown points. I had to load my big drybag and tent onto the passenger seat and then cinch it down with ROC straps, and the load moved over time as I hit bumps.

There are two 8mm bolts holding down the top of the rear shelf, but they are just hex head bolts and don't serve any purpose but to hold down the shelf to the frame of the bike.

So I ordered two 8mm eyebolts from Grainger Supply, item # 3XTD1, removed the two hex head bolts, and installed these two eyebolts. They install perfectly, and now I have the front of the shelf to use for loads. I haven't tested them out yet on a long ride but will next Wednesday. I'll probably put my tent on the bottom, as its poles will serve as a firm bottom, then put the dry bag on top. I'll use the eye bolts for one side of the ROC straps, then the grab rail for the other, and the load should be very secure.

nttiedown1.jpeg
nttiedown2.jpeg
Hey harry, Thanks for the 8mm eyebolt idea. I'm going to try this out. Great idea.

Top Bottom