Rear wheel bearing failure

bicyclist

I didn't recall anyone reporting bad rear wheel bearings, so I did a search of the forum which turned up only Karl's front bearing failure.

While putting a new tire on the rear wheel the other day, I checked the bearings and found them starting to fail. They were notchy feeling. The bike has just over 27K miles, so I was a bit surprised. I don't have bearing tools and it takes about a week to get parts on the net, so I bent over and took the wheel to the dealer. The parts are rather expensive, $94 for two bearings, a dust seal and an o-ring. The dealer initially quoted an hour for labor. It takes about 10 minutes, 15 if you're slow. When I pointed that out, he said they'd only charge for the time it takes. I wound up paying for a half hour. Lesson learned, I'll be acquiring tools and finding a local bearing house for the parts.

The front tire doesn't need to be replaced. Nonetheless, I pulled the wheel and checked the bearings. They're OK.

If you don't do your own tire work and check the bearings yourself, be sure that they are checked whenever the wheels are off. Simply doing a wiggle test with the wheels on the bike isn't good enough. By the time there's any movement, the bearings are dangerous.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
They are common bearings, I'll guarantee that, you can cross reference them and probably get better quality and cheaper ones.

I don't think the NT and ST1300 wheels are similar, looks like they might be closer to the ST1100 rear wheels but on the ST1300 the flange bearings are a point of weakness and you have to check them every tire change just to be sure.

I did this article for the ST1300 rear wheel flange bearing removal/replacement and I'm doubting you'll need any special tools for the NT but maybe Chuck can answer that since he's hand an ST11/ST13 and the NT.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?55014-ST1300-Rear-Flange-Bearing-Replacement

OP
OP

bicyclist

No flange bearings on the NT. On the right side of the wheel is a 6204UU ball bearing and a 20 x 47 x 20.6 ball bearing on the left. You could knock them out with a drift and hammer, but the proper way is with a bearing removal tool. Less chance of damage to the wheel and quicker.

Top Bottom