Recomendation for a bike lift for small garage

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Thinking of finally getting my hands dirty with grease and oil :)

Need recommendation on what type of motorcycle lift to get ....

Have a small garage ....

Unless you want something insane and dangerous that hangs from a tree, like my brother would do, just pull out the credit card and go get one of these . . .

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I'm not sure you mean by "small lift."

I have a Harbor Freight lift ($299) and am happy with it. It weighs 400 pounds so not something you can move easily. I wish it was wider but such is life. The narrow bed (22") is too narrow for me to put a foot down if I ride the bike onto the lift.

Bike
2010 NT700V
The harbor freight lift will not double as a motorcycle dolly. You'll need something like this https://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-motorcycle-dolly-95896.html

or

I had one of the HF lifts a few years ago, but sold it. All maintenance I can do from the center stand, just put some cheap moving blankets down to sit/lay on.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
As someone mentioned, the HF lift CANNOT be used as a motorcycle dolly. The wheels are on fixed positioned axles so the lift will only roll backwards/forwards. Typically, the type of fixture you want isn't really made for maintenance because access is blocked to things on the bottom of the engine - such as the oil drain bolt & oil filter, but they do allow you to move the bike. These are fixtures that have a cradle under the engine but they sometimes will not work on certain bikes because of exhaust pipes and other things that might be damaged by being used as a lifting point.

You could slide-tug-push-cuss the HF lift against the wall then tip it on its side but I've never done that to create more parking space. It's still 400 pounds of dead weight no matter how you cut it.

When I was younger (much younger!), I didn't mind working on the floor using a creeper or piece of old carpet but now I hate it plus don't have enough raw strength to do some tasks - especially when laying on my side. Being able to stand-up while working makes it much, much easier for me.

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
ok, I think I caused confusion...

I was thinking of getting a dolly to park my bike and then push it against the wall. So I was wondering if the lift could do double duty as a lift when I need to work and in general as a dolly.

The lift and biked parked side by side will leave no space in my garrge.

I will go to HF and explore this weekend ..

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
You may be able to replace the small diameter metal wheels on the HF lift with metal casters that would allow moving it sideways, with your bike onboard. And I believe you can find metal casters at HF.

The lift is only 22" wide and about 4" tall so if you had a car/truck with lots of ground clearance, it could be stored underneath. If you decide to buy one, clip out the $299 sale coupon from any motorcycle magazine because I believe the store price about about $100 more. Good luck!

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
You may be able to replace the small diameter metal wheels on the HF lift with metal casters that would allow moving it sideways, with your bike onboard. And I believe you can find metal casters at HF.

The lift is only 22" wide and about 4" tall so if you had a car/truck with lots of ground clearance, it could be stored underneath. If you decide to buy one, clip out the $299 sale coupon from any motorcycle magazine because I believe the store price about about $100 more. Good luck!

thanks for the tips.

Motorcycle in garage , Car out in open :D

Store price is $449 and I was thinkign of usign the regualr 20% coupon. Hunt for bike magazine starts now :)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
If you can't find one, I'm sure I have one so let me know. I can send it to you via US mail so PM me with your name/address.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The local sears went out business, but before they shut down I bought a craftsman lift similar to the HF one for roughly the same amount of money.

I don't know if Sears is still in your area, but could be another option for you.

I have been thinking of selling mine locally. I only used it a few times with the DR (no centerstand). I have been able to do everything on the current bike just by using the centerstand, and the bike stand takes up more floor space than I would like.

lynnbpa

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
thanks for the tips.

Motorcycle in garage , Car out in open :D

Store price is $449 and I was thinkign of usign the regualr 20% coupon. Hunt for bike magazine starts now :)
Check the fine print on your 20% coupon; they've added more restrictions in the past year or so.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Also I thumbed through a couple of my magazines and the fine print expiration date was in Sept or earlier. Your best bet might be to find a magazine on the newstand that has a still current coupon, buy that magazine and take the coupon ASAP to HF.

Last edited:

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Greg in Denver used two HF large moving dollies to build a rolling frame work to do a VFR800 restoration. Not very practical for just a tire change.
Greg VFR Frame.jpg

Greg VFR Motor.jpg

I would never be without my HF motorcycle lift...I did add an extension on the side and that added to the versatility whereby I service my lawn tractor and mowers..as well as the motorcycles... Do Not pay the asking price in some of their flyers wait until it comes on sale for $ 299.00 You will need a pick up truck to haul it home tho it is very heavy....I usually store it in the elevated position with bicycles and other junk on it and also throw other stuff underneath...I have had mine for about 5 years and has been totally trouble free...The only drawback is the fact I am getting older and the bikes are getting heavier and it is always a good idea to get help when loading on or off the ramp...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The HF Lift has two settings for the safety bar: medium and high. I rarely use the high setting but when I do, my +2 clearview windshield easily clears the garage ceiling.

If you had a low ceiling in your shop or garage, you could just avoid using the max height. Two days ago, I used mine to fit a new front tire to the NT and loved not having to stoop; such as when working with the bike on the ground. :)

ps. When I was changing the front tire on my NT a few days ago, I looked at my HF lift. It has casters in front and larger diameter steel wheels in back so it can be steered.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I got my Rider Magazine today and the Harbor Freight ad shows the new discounted price of their motorcycle lift at $349. It was $299 discounted price for several years so I guess this is the new normal? :-(

If you used the 20% Super Coupon on the regular price of $449 it comes out $10 more at $359.

Last edited:
Top Bottom