Recomendation/Review for Motorcycle JAcket

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Dear All,

I need to get a riding Jacket soon (ride in NJ). I plan to ride anytime temp are over 30ies and the roads are in good condition. So I am looking at 3-4 season system jacket OR a set of jackets. Last year I did ~2k miles, this year plan to do much more.

One additional factor is that I am looking to ride to my client offices so looking at more muted style. My commutes are ~100miles on mainly Turnpike / highway.

I have short listed the following 3 (all between $200 to $300).

1) https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/sedici-avventura-jacket in grey black. Warranty 2 years. Comes with Foam Back Protector

2) Tourmaster Transition Series 4, not sure of warranty, articulated triple-density back protector
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tour-master-transition-4-jacket

3) Olympia Mens Airglide 5, not sure of warranty, comes with a CE approved back protector
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-airglide-5-jacket

4) Making my own system Jacket combination
a) Get a Mesh Riding Jacket : https://www.amazon.com/Viking-Cycle-Motorcycle-Jacket-Men/dp/B00Y1Q3RPE/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=motorcycle+jacket+Men&qid=1550280894&s=gateway&sr=8-11
b) Use a down jacket as under layer: already have a Marmot 700 fill Down jacket (pack-able)
c) Use a hig Viz mesh security vest for visibility: already own one
c) get a over jacket wind/rain outer layer - This is where I am having maximum issue in finding a good solution. Till now have used a Coloumbia semi-gard shell, but it flaps in wind and creates nosie and in rain lets water in.

Looking for any reviews and open to suggestions on other jackets or the system jackets you use.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I also plan to get a riding pant, gloves and new helmet his season, so trying to stick to a sub $300 budget for the jacket.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
When I first started riding in 2005, my ride was a Suzuki Burgman with lots of storage space, and I was cheap and got a Tourmaster Cortech parka-style jacket (like your first 2 links) at the clearance store Sierra Trading Post (they no longer have motorcycle gear.) It's a great jacket, especially for cooler weather. Removable insulation layer, decent venting. It has a zipper that allows you to also zip from the bottom up; it's handy to unzip the bottom 6" when in the saddle. The parka style will help shield your hips/butt/crotch a bit more if you encounter rain. But on a bike with storage space, all those pockets are pretty unnecessary, and just make for a bulkier jacket. So if you're ok with something that only goes down to the waist, especially if you've got riding-specific pants on, you may want to go with something more 'svelte' like your third link. If you're commuting for work, you'll want it to be roomy enough that it won't wrinkle your shirts too badly. You'll appreciate a motorcycle-specific jacket, though, so I'd recommend against your 4th option. MC jackets are designed for the riding position......longer sleeves, articulated...... A safety yellow over-vest is a great idea, though.

I also got a Shoei RF800 helmet from STP, in school bus yellow. A couple years ago I replaced it with a Shoei Qwest helmet that I really like, again in school bus yellow. Relatively quiet, made for touring riders in a more upright position. With helmets, it all depends on your head fit. I have a moderate oval head. If you have a very oblong European-style head, apparently Arais are a good fit. HJC fit a more round head. You can learn a ton from the great reviews on webbikeworld.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/reviewed-motorcycle-products/

How far are you from Revzilla in Philly? Do they have a showroom, or are they just a warehouse?

Oh, and I later got a mesh Cortech jacket for warmer weather. It has a liner for those cooler mornings or evenings, but is not for rain. But a mesh jacket is a boon for hot days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
How far are you from Revzilla in Philly? Do they have a showroom, or are they just a warehouse?

Oh, and I later got a mesh Cortech jacket for warmer weather. It has a liner for those cooler mornings or evenings, but is not for rain. But a mesh jacket is a boon for hot days.
Thanks for your inputs. I am in NJ, and have a cyclegear ~10 min form my place.

And thanks for a pointer on Helmet, I have the usual moderate oval. I have a yellow modular, but has lots of noise, so have been thinking of getting a full-face. I hear that the nosie problem is less on them, but I love the comfort of flipping open the modular, specially since I wear glasses.

Revzilla is like 100miles form my place and it seems to be a showroom.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I used a Tourmaster Transition 3 for many years and was pleased with it. The only drawback were the zippers which were cheap but I believe that they now use YKK which is the best zipper for motorcycle gear. I currently use an Olympia Ranger with which I am very pleased. The Ranger has been discontinued but I'm sure there is still some stock available. Both jackets are great for all season riding. My riding is done in temps >15 degrees F. Tourmaster and Olympia also make good overpants for cold/wet weather riding. Hope this helps!

Mike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I've worn First Gear Kilamanjaro jackets for several years now. See Here. I've found them to very durable and a good three season jacket for riding around Atlanta. In the very high temps of summer it is a bit too warm for me and I use a mesh jacket instead...

EDIT: Click on Search Forums put "jacket" in the box, then click on Reviews in the Prefixes section, and you'll pull up a lot of reviews....

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I have the Olympia airglide jacket for 3 yrs now. like it a lot, has 3 parts, outside mesh, inside rain, and inside that winter liner. very versatile, you can wear the rain liner zipped inside, or carry with you and wear over mesh / armor. look at it more closely, you might like it. have worn it down to 12 deg on the NT and done its job

Lots of good options. I think its worth starting with some basic questions.

One is to clarify your rain strategy. Could be you don't plan on riding in rain or don't mind getting wet. I realize they are more expensive but to my understanding, Klim and Aerostich are the main providers of riding jackets made with Goretex, which is both fairly rain proof and breathable. Other fabric jackets may be rain resistant or include rain proof liners, but these are not the best solutions if you have to ride in real rain. (The rain inner liners generally don't breath, and the shell fabric can eventually get soaked.) In you are not getting a goretex jacket, you might consider having a light rain over jacket on hand. They are not expensive. But that is another piece of gear and you have to make a decision whether to stop the ride to put on the gear.

Second question might be whether you have any specific fit issues. If standard size works well for you, that's great. I may sound like an Aerostich advocate but you can get a customized fit from Stich, at extra cost.

You already raised the protection issue in noting that the Seidici only has a foam back protector. Really, I think its hard to measure whether a specific design or armor works better than another.

In view of budget, you might consider looking at Ebay, where you can find deals on either lightly used jackets or new old stock jackets that have been replaced by newer designs. I few years ago I snagged an earlier generation Olympia jacket and liner, new with tags, for about $120. And next to Aerostich, I generally like Olympia gear the best.

Bike
NT700va
All most interesting summary for jackets. How about extending that to rain gear? Like most NT guys, I follow function rather than style and have not been impressed with the current trend of BLACK with a few reflective strips. Other than the compact FrogToggs for short light rain, any new brands that have YELLOW, durable and somewhat waterproof?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Perhaps a bit off base but I'm more than happy with my Aerostich Darians that were altered to fit my short legs. Previously, I had lots of different brands of riding pants and they always seem to wear-out in about 2 years or be less than comfortable in certain types of weather. For example, I have a pair of Joe Rocket mesh pants that I no longer wear because the sewn-in liner sticks to my skin and impedes any air flow!

Some people can't wear Darians without having a pair of soft pants under the Darians but I have no trouble with that and it also allows me to wear those pants in the hottest weather. With the adj at the ankles as loose as possible they work well in the heat and much better than my mesh pants plus I don't have to worry about getting caught in a sudden, afternoon thunderstorm. In really cold weather, I wear long johns underneath and for that purpose I ordered them one size larger than normal.

My Darians are now 6-years old, still not showing any wear marks, and each year I laundered them myself and reapplied Nicwax but I was never happy with the results. This time I shipped them to Aerostich for washing and reapplying whatever they use to make them waterproof - the cost was $45 plus shipping in both directions. They came back looking like brand-new pair! :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
But you'll risk offending the purists here...:unsure: :rolleyes:
LOL, Wayne! I've been wearing some gloves I bought at the Harley dealer here nearly 12 years ago. They weren't Harley-branded, but they've been great. Gore-Tex w/ long gauntlets, and they've kept my hands warm and dry since I bought them. If they had been Harley-branded, they'd still be great gloves.

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Thanks everyone for the inputs.

Rain strategy: I love riding in the rain, but considering all the lunatics/antics I see on my daily drive, i tend to avoid rain rides. Rain liner is a backup.

Std body type, so good with std gear.

face palm for not looking at eBay.. thanks for the reminder.

Ordered the sidici adventura. Will order Olympia airglide and hen decide. I will post the winner once I get both.

Cheers.

See the above comments about the Olympia gear. It is waterproof already.
Daboo, you live in Seattle so you should know! That said, I have always considered the Oly shells to be water resistant. Friends that have ridden in major rain storms report that their Oly jackets did get wet on the inside eventually, so I don't think they are in the same waterproof class as Goretex jackets. Again, I like Oly gear a lot at the price point.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
That's one of the nice things about an Aerostitch -- I've never been wet when wearing mine. Some people talk about the original Roadcrafter (the one I've got) leaking through the crotch when water puddles on you when you're sitting on your bike. Neither of mine never have, either on the Concours C-10 or on the NT.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Last October I rode from just north of Dallas, TX to Vinita, OK in a toad strangler most of the way. I was in Olympic gear and stayed dry. The outer gear was saturated with water and quite heavy but under the waterproof liner it was dry. Good thing 'cause it was 40 degrees and a cold front from the nawth was bearing down on us.

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
For the past 10 years in Portland, riding every day, my Sedici gear has kept me dry. I use a knock off Hippo Hands on the handlebars and a nice pair of gloves when it get really rainy. Frog togs pants when I'm commuting, and the Sedici pants if I have to go further. Waterproof boots and I the only time I've gotten wet was when my previous Sedici jacket was getting really old and worn and started leaking from the shoulder seam when it was really coming down. It had a lifetime warranty, but I just bought another.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Last October I rode from just north of Dallas, TX to Vinita, OK in a toad strangler most of the way. I was in Olympic gear and stayed dry. The outer gear was saturated with water and quite heavy but under the waterproof liner it was dry. Good thing 'cause it was 40 degrees and a cold front from the nawth was bearing down on us.

Mike
For my jackets that have the internal liner and an outer shell that is not water proof, which most are not, I apply water proofing from a spray can. It takes a couple of coats and works great. I no longer have water logged outer shells. The jacket remains flexible and the coating does not change the appearance of the jacket. I also use it on my riding over pants with three coats on the seat of them

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Atsko-Silicone-Water-Guard-10-5-Ounces/29873159?athcpid=29873159&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=203b6d85-c7d-16900fcdb2340a&athena=true

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
How does these sprays affect the mesh and air flow? I am assuming not much.

Top Bottom