Recommendations for medium priced, two piece riding suit

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I am looking for recommendations for a medium priced ($400 - $500) riding suit.

John

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
John, I have the Tourmaster Transition 3 jacket and couldn't be more pleased. It is truly a four-season jacket. I have the Caliber pants which I wear in the winter. You might want to visit the Tourmaster website as they have many other choices... all good stuff at moderate prices.

Mike

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I also have the Tourmaster Transitions 3 jacket. I use it as a winter jacket as it's a bit warm around here once the temps hit 80-ish... then I go to my Olympia mesh.

Pants are tough as they all seem to fit differently.

Head over to Moto Liberty, on 635/Josey Ln... they have a good assortment of stuff to try out.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I also have the Transitions 3 jacket and Caliber pants. Used them all winter. The Jacket is too heavy for summer use however. Its hard to find one two piece that's good for all seasons all weather. I currently have five jackets and several different pants that I can choose from depending on my riding needs. You might look at a Tourmaster Flex Series 3 jacket. It converts to a mesh jacket by removing panels. The Flex jacket and pants as a set can be had for around $400 which is in you budget number.

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
My preferred jacket is my Olympia Moab 3/4 jacket. It's mesh but comes with a waterproof liner and a quilted warmth liner and that gives about the closest to a 4 season jacket for the type of riding I do. I also have a headed liner so that pushes me more into the coldest weather. It's nice to have a lot of options with the different liners and the waterproof one is very effective.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Take a look at the First Gear website for a pretty good selection. I wear a Hi-viz Kilimanjaro or a Hi-Viz Mesh Tex mesh jacket depending on the weather. I haven't tried their riding pants as I wear Draggin Jeans Kevlar lined jeans rather than over pants. First Gear is usually discounted off MSRP so if you shop around getting a jacket and pants should be fairly easy to do in the $400-500 range.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have the Kilimanjaro and it is fine for most weather. Not as windproof as my leather jacket but is more all weather.

I have found that the most flexible setup for me is a mesh jacket. When it gets wet I put on a rain shell over it. When colder a fleece sweatshirt goes under and the rain shell over. Works down to below freezing that way. So, it is no surprise that my next jacket will be the Flex III. It is made exactly how I want my jacket to work.

I have Venture Air riding pants that I use on trips. Everyday riding I have kevlar lined jeans.

If there were a Flex III version of the pants I would get those, ie, rain/wind shell on the outside.

slider

If you're just talking jacket and pants you must try the Tornado pants from Rev It. Best pants by far for the money. Stylish and good as overpants down to 15 and cool as can be up to 85. Haven't tried any warmer but seems like it wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Well, I can just about fit in my 25 year old Hein Gericke leathers that I bought in Germany back when I had to meet height/weight standards. But then, in Germany, 90 F is a hot day.

I figure that it is time to update my riding wardrobe for the new motorcycle. And I really like the high visibility colors. Well, that's not exactly true. I like the effect of the hi-viz colors.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Here is my solution:

http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/transition-systems-gear/mens-nomad-all-season-transition-jacket/

http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/mesh-tech/mens-airglide-3-mesh-tech-overpant/

The All Season Transition jacket opens to full mesh or can be fully closed. It has a two part wind/waterproof liner which can be added in stages as thing get cooler (or wetter).

The Airglide pants are all mesh and have an insulated waterproof liner.

I bought the equivalent, then called GT Air Transitions when I started riding in Northern Virgina in 2008. It has held up well. At the time I knew I was moving to Texas (Houston) and knew the weather here. I wanted a versatile suit for all weathers and for commuting and travel uses. So far the concept has worked for me. I can get down to 35 dgrees or so by supplementing the suit with thermal base layers and sweater or fleece jacket. No upper limit so far. My hottest day saw 115 degrees. I sized the suit to fit over street clothes to facilitate the commute. I pack all the parts and be ready for (almost) anything.

I did add a full rain suit, sized to fit over everything for those days when you get caught ina down pour. I 9 1/2 hour ride in a deluge was convincing.

Hope to see you arounf TX soon,

Chuck

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I still wish more would come out with outer "liners" instead of inner ones. Like a rainsuit made for the jacket and pants.

That's kind what I do now with the mesh pants. When it gets cooler I just slide on the rain pants. Then the mesh pants are part of the insulation instead of just hanging along for the ride. The other benefit is the mesh does not get wet in the rain like it would if Iused the rain liner.

Last, would not have to take the pants/jacket off to add the insulated or wind/waterproof parts. A PITA when stopped by the side of the road under an overpass :)

So, any mfg's listening? Probably not :(

tawilke46

My first real armored jacket is the Icon Contra Mil-Spec in Hi-Viz yellow. It is a textile jacket that is good for a wide range of temperatures, from the 50's into the high 80's. It has a removable insulated quilted liner.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-contra-mil-spec-jacket

I also have an Olympia AST-2, 3/4 style textile fully armored jacket in Hi-Viz. It has a windproof/waterproof outer layer incorporated into the jacket, and a removable insulated liner. Well made, waterproof, windproof jacket that I use when the temps get below the mid 50's.
http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/vent-tech/mens-ast-2-touring-jacket/

And lastly I have my trusty hot weather mesh jacket. The Olympia Switchback Mesh Tech jacket in silver. It has a removable zip out waterproof/windproof liner that you can also use as a casual jacket by itself.
http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/mesh-tech/mens-switchback-mesh-tech-jacket/

I really like all three of these jackets as they fill any riding need for me.

In pants I usually wear Duluth Firehose jeans or pants or something similar. For really serious stuff I have a pair of Macna Alpine pants, http://www.twistedthrottle.com/macna-men-s-alpine-motorcycle-pants

Last edited:
Top Bottom