Redesigned AdMore Lighting Kit for Honda 45L Top Case - Comments & Info

I have received the latest version of this kit to install on my new-to-me NT700V. Upon receipt and inspection, the length and layout of the LED light ribbons left me quite confused. The kit part number has changed at some point, so there most likely was an associated design change. The old kit part number was LED2420HON-T-TS (CG). The new kit part number is LED45HON-T-TS (CG).

The LED light ribbons in the new kit are each 18 inches long. There are TWO LED strips like the one in the picture below included in the kit. One for each separate lens on the top case. The lenses on the Honda 45L top case are only 16 inches long! So, the LED strips won’t fit behind the lens! Plus, there is a 2-inch gap in the middle of the LED ribbons that have NO LEDs so you’ve got a 2-inch blank spot on the side of the top case. Also, the wrong instructions (for a GIVI 56L) were provided. So, I naturally figured that I was sent the wrong parts. See picture below:

AdMore Lighting LED Strip-small-2.jpg

Upon contacting and talking with AdMore Lighting, I was assured that I had received the correct parts. When I inquired bout the 2 inch empty gap it was suggested that it was done on purpose for aesthetics, i.e. a different look. That didn’t make particular sense to me. Plus, it’s 2 inches too long, so it won’t fit.

So, the only options to make this new LED ribbon fit are:
1. Cut 4 inches off of the end of each strip. Yes, I only need to cut 2” off to get them to fit, but the cut lines on the LED ribbon are 4 inches apart.
2. Carefully fold the 2-inch blank section of the LED ribbon back onto itself, basically eliminating the 2-inch gap between LEDs.

Option #1 ends up giving you not only a 2-inch gap in the middle of the ribbon, but also another 2-inch cap at the leading edge of both sides of the lenses. Not a good look, and a loss of lighting. I’m going with option #2 at this point so that I don’t have a gap in the lights and I don’t lose 4 inches of lights on both sides.

Bottom line is that you have to modify the provided LED ribbons in order to get them to fit behind the Honda top case lenses. That’s just not good. The obvious solution for AdMore Ligihting is to simply remove the 2” blank spot in the middle of the LED ribbons. Problem solved. No modification by the customer would be necessary.

QUESTIONS for FORUM MEMBERS: Here’s what I’d like to ask our forum members who have installed this kit in the past.

1. Did your LED ribbons have the same 2-inch gap between LEDs in the middle of the ribbons?
2. Were the LED ribbons the correct length (15” to 16”) to fit without modification?
3. If you bought a new kit now, would you want the 2-inch gap removed so that the LED ribbons fit without modification and had no blank spot?

This feedback can provide two things: Let us know if the older kits didn’t have the 2-inch gap in the middle, and let us gather feedback for AdMore Lighting from customers regarding the design of the LED ribbons for the Honda 45L top case.

PLEASE be thoughtful and constructive with your comments and suggestions. We’re lucky to have a company that is still willing to make lighting kits for bikes which aren’t necessarily a big market and profit maker for them anymore.

I will provide this feedback to my contact at AdMore Lighting. Hopefully, we can convince them to make a design change that will make the kit more useful and easier to install.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Mine is a wiring harness that is routed to near the handle on the inside of the box. There the harness splits into 2 led strips with 18 leds on each side, one left and one right. There is no ribbon cable, 2" gap, or trimming needed. Each Led strip is fitted 16".

OP
OP
WingMan71
Mine is a wiring harness that is routed to near the handle on the inside of the box. There the harness splits into 2 led strips with 18 leds on each side, one left and one right. There is no ribbon cable, 2" gap, or trimming needed. Each Led strip is fitted 16".
Thanks for the reply. I'm betting that means that your kit is of the original design, which fits as shipped. 18 LEDs on each side also agrees with the picture that's on AdMore Lighting's web site showing the LEDs installed on one side. See below:

AdMore LED2420HON-T-TS (CG) Top Case Picture.jpg

The new kit has 48 LEDs on each side! That seems a lot! I have not yet finished my installation, so I haven't seen how bright it is.

I'm curious, are your 18-LED strips bright enough to be seen when just operating as running lights during daylight hours?

Thanks again for your input on this.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Yes, the running lights are as bright as most car running light and can be seen in sun light. I'm sure it is the original design... installed in 2011.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'm assuming that the 2" blank section is designed to fit behind the handle where there is no red lens?

Mike

OP
OP
WingMan71
I'm assuming that the 2" blank section is designed to fit behind the handle where there is no red lens?

Mike
NO, there are two LED strips just like the one in the picture. One for each side lens of the top case. So, the 2" blank section will end up just around the corner of each lens on the sides. See picture below:

AdMore Lighting Honda Top Case LED Strip.jpg

If you look at the right side of this picture, the forward end of the top case, you can also see that the entire LED strip is 2" too long to fit behind the lens! Simply remove the 2" blank section and the strip would be a perfect fit with no blank spots. This just doesn't make sense, but AdMore has confirmed that this is the correct part for our Honda 45L top case. Strange, since the older version of the kit, with 18 LEDs per strip, was 16" long and a perfect fit.

To me, this is just not right. Why would you want ANY blank spot? And why make the strip 2" too long? Manufacturers rarely do things for no reason, and the real reasons typically have to do with money and costs. Yet, it's a mystery to me why they would put a blank section anywhere on these LED strips. Plus, it has to be modified by the customer to fit at all.

I'm going to make these LED strips work by doing option #2 in my first post: Carefully fold the 2-inch blank section of the LED ribbon back onto itself, basically eliminating the 2-inch gap between LEDs.

Still, I'm going to do my best to convince the AdMore Lighting owners that this is NOT a good design.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
OK, I thought it was just one strip. Based on your pic, I now see the problem. I would send Admore the same pic you have posted and ask them that if this is the correct part, how do I make it fit? I would be afraid that folding the ribbon cable as you propose would cause premature failure. Good Luck!

Mike

OP
OP
WingMan71
OK, I thought it was just one strip. Based on your pic, I now see the problem. I would send Admore the same pic you have posted and ask them that if this is the correct part, how do I make it fit? I would be afraid that folding the ribbon cable as you propose would cause premature failure. Good Luck!

Mike
I took your advice and contacted AdMore Lighting with my installation issues.

Turns out I'm right. The LED45HON-T-TS (CG) Light kit for the Honda 45L top case was redesigned some time ago and included in what was to be a "universal fit" light kit for a few different top cases, i.e. not specifically for the Honda 45L top case anymore like the original LED2420HON-T-TS (CG) Light Kit was.

When I contact the manufacturer about it they were initially doubtful of the installation issues that I had found. So, I mustered up my 30 years of experience as a professional technical writer and authored an 8-page document complete with annotated pictures which very specifically detailed the installation issues I found. I also included suggestions for product design changes that would make the kit fit the Honda 45L case properly.

Surprise! A few days later I was contacted by the company owner and told that not only am I completely correct, based on my document, but also they will make the necessary design changes and send me the newly redesigned version of the kit ASAP.

Also, when they found out I was a retired professional technical writer, they asked me if I would like to rewrite several of their product installation instructions for them. They're a small company and don't have a professional technical writer on staff. I just may take them up on that offer.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I took your advice and contacted AdMore Lighting with my installation issues.

Turns out I'm right. The LED45HON-T-TS (CG) Light kit for the Honda 45L top case was redesigned some time ago and included in what was to be a "universal fit" light kit for a few different top cases, i.e. not specifically for the Honda 45L top case anymore like the original LED2420HON-T-TS (CG) Light Kit was.

When I contact the manufacturer about it they were initially doubtful of the installation issues that I had found. So, I mustered up my 30 years of experience as a professional technical writer and authored an 8-page document complete with annotated pictures which very specifically detailed the installation issues I found. I also included suggestions for product design changes that would make the kit fit the Honda 45L case properly.

Surprise! A few days later I was contacted by the company owner and told that not only am I completely correct, based on my document, but also they will make the necessary design changes and send me the newly redesigned version of the kit ASAP.

Also, when they found out I was a retired professional technical writer, they asked me if I would like to rewrite several of their product installation instructions for them. They're a small company and don't have a professional technical writer on staff. I just may take them up on that offer.
Excellent news!

Mike

Bike
'10 NT700V & '11 NT700V
I'm pretty sure I've got the wrong kit for mine, too. I ordered it a few months ago and haven't gotten around to installing it. I may be giving them a call to see if they'll trade me, too.

OP
OP
WingMan71
I'm pretty sure I've got the wrong kit for mine, too. I ordered it a few months ago and haven't gotten around to installing it. I may be giving them a call to see if they'll trade me, too.
If you have the one that's 18 inches long with the 2 inch gap in the middle with no LEDs in it, you have the old one that doesn't fit properly.

The new LED light array for the Honda 45L top case has already been designed. It's "LED Array Set", part # LED-A-4840.

All the other parts that came with your LED45HON-T-TS (CG) Light kit are still good. You only need the LED Array Set itself replaced.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Ron Hudson

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V..95PC800
If you have the one that's 18 inches long with the 2 inch gap in the middle with no LEDs in it, you have the old one that doesn't fit properly.

The new LED light array for the Honda 45L top case has already been designed. It's "LED Array Set", part # LED-A-4840.

All the other parts that came with your LED45HON-T-TS (CG) Light kit are still good. You only need the LED Array Set itself replaced.

Hope that helps.

Ron Hudson

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V..95PC800
I have the Honda Top Case but not sure the size...a sticker on inside lid reads "R319M"
do not see any additional markings... Bottom inside measures 21 inches across and 15 in front to back
Has passenger back pad... Thinking of getting the AdMore Lighting Kit.. appreciate any info..

OP
OP
WingMan71
I have the Honda Top Case but not sure the size...a sticker on inside lid reads "R319M"
do not see any additional markings... Bottom inside measures 21 inches across and 15 in front to back
Has passenger back pad... Thinking of getting the AdMore Lighting Kit.. appreciate any info..
Ron,
The Honda 45L top case is shown in my post number six.

I'm not exactly sure where you're taking your measurements so just have a look at the attached picture. I have rulers along both dimensions and you can check if it's the same as yours. Also, the lenses are each appropriately 16 & 1/4 inches long.

PS) If you actually have a Honda 45L top case, wait at least a few weeks before you order your lighting kit. The kit is being redesigned right now so they may not have any in stock for a couple of weeks. Also, the installation instructions are being rewritten right now as well. So hold off for just a bit.

Honda 45L Top Case-1.jpg

Here's a picture of the left side with the newly redesigned 48-LED array installed, which now fits perfectly behind the lens.

Lens Installed-Closed_ORIG.jpg

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Ron Hudson

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V..95PC800
Ron,
The Honda 45L top case is shown in my post number six.

I'm not exactly sure where you're taking your measurements so just have a look at the attached picture. I have rulers along both dimensions and you can check if it's the same as yours. Also, the lenses are each appropriately 16 & 1/4 inches long.

PS) If you actually have a Honda 45L top case, wait at least a few weeks before you order your lighting kit. The kit is being redesigned right now so they may not have any in stock for a couple of weeks. Also, the installation instructions are being rewritten right now as well. So hold off for just a bit.

Honda 45L Top Case-1.jpg

Here's a picture of the left side with the newly redesigned 48-LED array installed, which now fits perfectly behind the lens.

Lens Installed-Closed_ORIG.jpg

Hope that helps.
WingMan... that is it.. 45L same measurements ..will wait for the redesigned light kit.. thanks

Bike
'10 NT700V & '11 NT700V
It took me a bit to verify, but I’ve got the wrong strip of LEDs, too. I’ll be contacting AdMore next week to see if they’ll send me the correct length strip.

Your post saved me a bunch of head-scratching!

OP
OP
WingMan71
WingMan... that is it.. 45L same measurements ..will wait for the redesigned light kit.. thanks
Ron and others... GOOD NEWS: THE UPDATED ADMORE LIGHTING LIGHT KIT FOR THE HONDA 45L TOP CASE IS NOW AVAILABLE!

Orders can be placed now. By the time you get your kit in the mail the updated installation instructions should also be available for online download from their web site.

PS: To know if you have the latest installation instructions: The old instructions are 7 pages long. The updated new instructions are 16 pages long.

Hope that helps.

Ron Hudson

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V..95PC800
Ron and others... GOOD NEWS: THE UPDATED ADMORE LIGHTING LIGHT KIT FOR THE HONDA 45L TOP CASE IS NOW AVAILABLE!

Orders can be placed now. By the time you get your kit in the mail the updated installation instructions should also be available for online download from their web site.

PS: To know if you have the latest installation instructions: The old instructions are 7 pages long. The updated new instructions are 16 pages long.

Hope that helps.
Wingman... thanks for info.. just placed order for kit, says 6 to 8 days. as you stated, PDF download for instructions will be ready soon.

Bike
'10 NT700V & '11 NT700V
I finally got around to sending them an email a few days ago. Fantastic customer service. They said they'd send out the new strip of LEDs right away. Most of the season is over for me (fair weather rider here), so I'll probably end up doing the installation as a winter project. I'm lucky to have a really nice shop to work in.

OP
OP
WingMan71
I finally got around to sending them an email a few days ago. Fantastic customer service. They said they'd send out the new strip of LEDs right away. Most of the season is over for me (fair weather rider here), so I'll probably end up doing the installation as a winter project. I'm lucky to have a really nice shop to work in.
Great to hear that you're getting your new LEDs.

I've been working with the founder of the company since the beginning of this effort. He's been extremely helpful since day one and has worked quickly to get their 45L Honda light kit updated to install and fit properly. Can't thank him enough.

Top Bottom