reduce the heat that's roasting my legs

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Hi Folks,
I'm planning a long trip in June all through the southern US. I was riding the bike today in 80+ F temps, and got pretty uncomfortable with all the heat venting onto my legs. I like to wear full gear, but I was shedding it just to stay comfortable. When I travel in June, I'll probably be in even hotter temps, and it'll probably be very uncomfortable.
There's a lot of heat coming from the louvered/vented side panels... the ones that provide access to the radiator overflow tank on the right side, as well as spark plugs on both sides and that sit next to the gas tank on each side. The heat comes out right at the knees and makes riding uncomfortable after a few hours of roasting.
Has anyone blocked these vents off? Any downside to doing so?
There is a YouTube video of a guy who wrapped the exhaust pipes, but it seems like the most heat is coming from those knee level vents.
Any suggestions?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Harry, I don't really have much of a problem with the heat. I don't know whether blocking the vents would cause overheating but I must assume that they are there for a reason. Make some tight fitting baffles out of stiff cardboard and zip tie 'em to the vents and see what happens. If it looks like it will overheat, clip the zip ties with a dykes and you are good to go.

Mike

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
My problem with heat like coming off the NT led me to the rubber apron that drapes the bottom rear of the gas tank. It was not in place and the heat coming through that space was unbearable. Put it back in place correctly, there are two nubs that fit into holes at the bottom of the tank and channels along the sides that fit the side panels. Instant fix.
Never had heat coming from those side vents though.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
My guess is that the vents on each side are a flow-through for air that passes through the radiator and I've never felt heat coming from those vents.

What sort of riding pants do you wear? Years ago, I discovered that lined riding pants made me uncomfortably hot because the liner usually stuck to my skin. This dilemma was solved when I bought Aerostich Darians, which are unlined, and one size too large as recommended by a riding pal. The extra size makes it comfy to wear long johns in the winter and during the summer, the extra space allows plenty of airflow. I had a pair of mesh riding pants which also happened to be lined but sold them once I discovered the Darians!

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Fieroguy is right. If the rubber insulator is missing or out of place between the seat and the tank the "boys" will get roasted in short order in the summer.

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
My thoughts are the vents are for the radiator air discharge. I would check under the tank to see if all is correct under there.
Have heard of that being a problem.

Arknt

OP
OP
harryhendo
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
My guess is that the vents on each side are a flow-through for air that passes through the radiator and I've never felt heat coming from those vents.

What sort of riding pants do you wear? Years ago, I discovered that lined riding pants made me uncomfortably hot because the liner usually stuck to my skin. This dilemma was solved when I bought Aerostich Darians, which are unlined, and one size too large as recommended by a riding pal. The extra size makes it comfy to wear long johns in the winter and during the summer, the extra space allows plenty of airflow. I had a pair of mesh riding pants which also happened to be lined but sold them once I discovered the Darians!
Thanks for the tip! I wear Kevlar lined jeans in cool weather, and Klim vented pants in summer. But I'm finding that the Klims just let in a lot of heat, they aren't cool at all. I'll check out the Dariens.

OP
OP
harryhendo
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
There are two plastic heat guards under the gas tank that redirect heat away from the engine. One of them was out of position.

The two guards are:
PLATE, FR. HEAT GUARD 19130-MEW-920
GUARD, RR. HEAT 19131-MEW-920

I put the heat guard into position, but still felt a lot of heat during my ride today (88F here already). It's going to be a brutal summer.

So I took Mike's suggestion for a baffle. I cut some thin dense foam that came with some package, and zip-tied it to the inside of the vent.

IMG_20230405_185130447.jpg

That made a LOT of difference. There was no more steady stream of very hot air hitting my knees. I was on a three hour ride this afternoon and was not uncomfortable, even in jeans and a hi-viz riding jacket. The temp gauge never went any higher than it would without the baffle. The bike ran fine. But I enjoyed the ride much more.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
There are two plastic heat guards under the gas tank that redirect heat away from the engine. One of them was out of position.

The two guards are:
PLATE, FR. HEAT GUARD 19130-MEW-920
GUARD, RR. HEAT 19131-MEW-920

I put the heat guard into position, but still felt a lot of heat during my ride today (88F here already). It's going to be a brutal summer.

So I took Mike's suggestion for a baffle. I cut some thin dense foam that came with some package, and zip-tied it to the inside of the vent.

IMG_20230405_185130447.jpg

That made a LOT of difference. There was no more steady stream of very hot air hitting my knees. I was on a three hour ride this afternoon and was not uncomfortable, even in jeans and a hi-viz riding jacket. The temp gauge never went any higher than it would without the baffle. The bike ran fine. But I enjoyed the ride much more.
The Connie C10 was famous for roasting and they even had louvers you could point one way for heat and another way for cool. If an engineer put louvers there, I would be careful about blocking them in warm weather... the coolant temp gage might not show how hot one part of the engine is getting that shouldnt get that hot. A small plastic 8-10 in deflector that would change the airflow aft of the louvers and could be taken on and off with 2 Dzus fasteners might be the ticket.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The early version of the ST1300 were also infamous heat coming off the engine. I believe the solution was to apply panels of heat reflecting foam under the tank & plastic.

OP
OP
harryhendo
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
If an engineer put louvers there, I would be careful about blocking them in warm weather... the coolant temp gage might not show how hot one part of the engine is getting that shouldnt get that hot. A small plastic 8-10 in deflector that would change the airflow aft of the louvers and could be taken on and off with 2 Dzus fasteners might be the ticket.
Hey Coyote... thanks for the suggestion. I looked underneath the bike, and there is plenty of room for the heat to go elsewhere with the louvers blocked, so I am going to leave it that way for now. I'll see how it goes this summer.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Interesting, in the summer I often wear shorts under my Joe Rocket Vented Riding pants and I've never noticed a problem with heat coming off the bike. We even got caught in an extreme heatwave on one of our west trips and no heat problems on the legs 🤔

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Interesting, in the summer I often wear shorts under my Joe Rocket Vented Riding pants and I've never noticed a problem with heat coming off the bike. We even got caught in an extreme heatwave on one of our west trips and no heat problems on the legs 🤔
I honestly cant remember there being a heat issue....I know over the years on some bikes if my legs get hot, I move my knees away from the gas tank a bit and visa versa if its cold. I will typically take my bare hand and feel where the hot and cool zones are in the slip stream along side the engine...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Heat has never been an issue for me either. Even in our hot, humid Missouri summers or one day in Death Valley at 117° it was never a problem.

Mike

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
May seen counter intuitive but have you considered riding pants?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've worn an Aerostitch as long as I've had an NT. Low temperature has been about 7-8F; high 113F. I wear LD Comfort long sleeves and long pants and I've been comfortable. When the temperature gets up to about 90, I zip all the zippers except for the cuffs and the main zipper. I pour water up my arms and let it run up as far as it can, and then I pour about a liter on my chest and stomach. I regulate my temperature by raising or lowering the main zipper. That actually keeps me cool as long as I'm moving. I wear a long-sleeved Warm'n'safe electric jacket in the winter and the LD Comfort long underwear, too. I've got heated grips and they help.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I'm surprised at the number of posts where you guys say that you have never noticed the heat. I am with Harry - I have tons of heat coming off my bike. Feels great in the winter, not so much in the summer. The gauge indicates the engine is not getting too hot. In fact the fan doesn't even come on unless I am idling at a light too long. I may try blocking the louver myself if that helps.

Top Bottom