Reflection on new tires

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Over the years I've put lots of new tires no lots of different bikes. But one thing is pretty consistent.
I always stew about the high price of new tires and finally, reluctantly, spend the $$$ and buy them.
Then I ride on them and marvel at the great improvement they make in ride and handeling.
Then I always conclude it was worth it to get the new tires and forget about the $$$ spent.

I just replaced the OEM front tire and rode on a new PR3 yesterday. It was great.
It rode, handled, and sounded much better. What an improvement.
But it could have been an Avon, Dunlop, Metzler, etc. - - at least initially.

There seem to be a lot of riders on this forum who are, like me, senior and conservative. I'll bet a bunch of NT guys go through the same thought process as I do about getting new tires. The "ace" that cintches the tire replacement for me is the safety concern. I simply want the best tires under me that I can get. I have no excuse for riding on tires that need replacing, but still hate to "waste" an un-used portion of an old tire - till I ride on a new one.

As a lower priced alternative I know a lot of folks who are happy with Shinko tires. (mostly on dual sports)
Has anyone tired them on an NT ?????

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
No, but a buddy of mine ran them on his FJR and was pleased with them. Not the milage a set of PR3's would give but for the price point, the Shinko is a great tire for the value. I run PR3's on my NT and ST and Shinko 705's on my Wee 650 and Shinko 700 is going on the DR650 later this year.

skiper

No - but since I was going to post my observation yesterday about tire pressure, maybe it's ok to say on this thread - I got a much better feel when raising pressure on front wheel from 36 to 39/40. On the stock tire. Does anyone think it's dangerous for traction ? It feels so much better to me.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I got a much better feel when raising pressure on front wheel from 36 to 39/40. On the stock tire. Does anyone think it's dangerous for traction ? It feels so much better to me.
I ran mine at about 38. It seemed to lessen the effects of the cupping which was bad.

skiper

I had noticeable cupping and feathering at one point. After watching pressures more carefully feathering went away very quickly and cupping is diminishing rapidly as well. I like the feel with front pressure around 39 and I don't lean hard or drag pegs so should be OK. Just wondering if it is a bad idea.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have no experience with Shinko tires but when I needed a new set of tires I looked at them. I found that they are made in S. Korea and are based on the old Yokohama designs. At the time I was not able to identify which of their models were designed for sport touring. The 011 looked like it might be but I did not see a size that matched our rear tire.

Top Bottom