Reliable Thermometer

OP
OP

Igo

I had a H-D accessory handle bar mounted thermometer on my Sportster and it always read around 10? higher than the outside temperature while riding.

Sitting in the garage it was spot on with another thermometer, but on the road it was always higher than the bank Time / Temp signs and other sources I knew where pretty accurate when compared to my car's display. Since it was out in the airflow I didn't expect that it would be off so much...
That's discouraging to hear. 10 degrees in the motorcycle world is a huge amount. I would have thought that putting it out in the draft where the motorcycle itself doen't influence it would be the best that could be done. I have a Ram Mount right at the left handlebar grip. I'd like to mount the thermometer under my side U-Bolt nut.

OP
OP

Igo

I posted this Kisan Chargeguard in the For Sale section of this forum. It's still for sale. It contains a voltmeter, ammeter, and thermometer. The thermometer uses a remote probe so the temp can be measured somewhere without a lot of engine heat. Overkill if you just want the thermometer, but if you're also interested in the voltage and amps, it's a nice package.
Even though the NT is probably more digital like, I still like the looks of analog.

OP
OP

Igo

Ordered the stainless bolt on Formotion thermometer.
All I've got left is to finish my luggage rack. I have to stop riding long enought to do that.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Igo, you and Rick need to join the Mileage Tracker. You guys sound like you're rackin' 'em up!

OP
OP

Igo

Seems I heard something about a mileage tracker. What'sa mileage tracker?
I know this seems odd but I'm actually going to try to keep the miles down. I mean, I'm going to ride when I want to but the other day I was thinking " an iron but will just kill 1000 miles of a pair of 6000 mile tires." That and the miles will drop off in the summer. We are in mid spring right now.
I am at 2450 right now. Not bad for 38 days I guess.

Bike
2010 ABS Silver
Igo,

I am interested to know how the thermometer works in that location for you, please let us know. Thx.

OP
OP

Igo

And thanks for the tip Chuck! here is the new Formotion Thermometer. With its back into the wind it would take mabout two minutes to catch up to currrent temps if making abrupt elevation changes but it proves to be very handsome, accurate and well built.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
an iron butt will just kill 1000 miles of a pair of 6000 mile tires."
Igo, an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 will kill 1000 miles for sure BUT if you don't run those puny little 6,000 mile tires, it's not so much of a deal. As Higdon says, "those Metzler ME-880s are made out of pure carbon; they'll last forever." Out of "forever," 1000 miles isn't so much.

BTW, I really like the looks of that thermometer!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Igo

The NT is not as comfortable as my ACE was. I doubt I'll be doing any Iron Butt rides on it. I was thinking about running from Vegas to Grand Junction during my vacation next month but my spare few days got filled up with a trip down Big Sur.
Hmmmm. If I'm only going to get 6000 miles out of these tires I better get some more ordered. I've got 3000 on the NT now and a 1500 mile trip planned for both April and in May.
The thermometer doesn't really match anything but it is really well made. Funny, when I ordered it it was supposed to register 120*. But it came with 140* register which would be my preference since we have the potential in some of these parts to pass 120*.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Igo,

The Formotion unit looks very similar to the H-D unit I had mounted. I had mine mounted on the brake side, I had a matching clock on the left side, but otherwise they are very similar in mount and size. How is its accuracy when compared to Time / Temp displays around town on your commute?

OP
OP

Igo

Wayne, it's funny how conscious motorcycle riders become about the weather. Long ago, this and backpacking has made part of my daily routine to understand environmental conditions wherever I go. This thermometer is dead on accurate. Before I left for Death Valley last weekend, I knew what the temps were supposed to be in several places at approximately what time of day. The thermometer read what I expected in each place.
I believe the best way to get this thing to react in a timely fashion is to have the back face in full contact with moving air and away from influences of the wind shield. Going out of Death Valley to Beaty Nevada you climb nearly a mile in a very short time frame. You can feel the temperature plummeting. When temps change this fast, it takes 1 to 2 minutes for the thermometer to catch up. I expect that is because it is oil filled.
Seens to me that I read that Formotion provides thermometers for HD. Is it possible this is the HD thermometer?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Is it possible this is the HD thermometer?
The Hundred-Dollar version may be made by Formotion for Harley but it has a different range displayed and I don't believe it was oil filled but I don't remember that for sure...

Bike
2010 ABS Silver
Igo, Thanks for the info on your placement. I am looking for a new home for mine now...Igo's setup looks nice, I think I may go that route. Thanks again for the report.

OP
OP

Igo

The Hundred-Dollar version may be made by Formotion for Harley but it has a different range displayed and I don't believe it was oil filled but I don't remember that for sure...
HAhahaHAhaa

OP
OP

Igo

Looks good Igo. I think I'll have to take my own advice and order one.
Go for it Chuck. It was good advice and I appreciate it. It is a fine instrument and works very well. Now I just have to figure out how to get the $3 sticky Auto Zone off my tach face.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Igo,

Now that you lived with the thermometer for awhile, and took a long trip with it, is it still performing well?

OP
OP

Igo

With the face pointing directly at the sun and parked, and I mean quite directly facing the sun, it will warm up 4 or so degrees more than actual. With the bike sitting idle and in the sun it will warm up. That aside, 10% off sun and riding I found it to be dead on accurate for 36 to 94 degrees anyway. It takes 30 seconds to a minute and a half to catch up when gaining or loosing elevation. What I just wrote sound like negative comments but they indeed are not. This is a thermometer kept and used in harsh and ever changing environment. As thermometers go on a bike, I fully expect it would be impossible to better. At speed, it is perfectly accurate and I used it all through my California trip last week in every kind of circumstances. Oil filled it is steady as a rock. One of the little prizes you run across and wonder how you ever did without. Worth every penny.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

Igo

The NT cannot compare to the ACE for comfort and it would be impossible for me to do an Iron Butt ride on it where I did 3 or 4 on the ACE. The seat pan is just too far back and the there is just too much reaching for the handlebars. I know it is sacrilegious to say that here and I do not wish for any drama but it is what it is. But I didn't have to take this trip to confirm this; I knew it before I left.

Top Bottom