Removed back wheel have extra part, can anyone identify?

Bike
2011 Black NT700 ABS
So, first time I have had the rear wheel off the bike. 2011 NT700V ABS. It had 2900 miles on it and 9 year old tires so I decided to put on new ones. I tried pulling the axle and brake stop bolt and removing from the rear while only removing the rear fender and except for the damned large caliper almost had it out. I know others have raised the bike and dropped it down without removing the exhaust or the right pannier but it looked like it would work so I gave it a try. After wiggling and finagling the caliper I finally got it stuck and decided to remove the right pannier to get more clearance and still had to remove the rotor from the wheel to get it out. So now I know how to get the pannier carcass off, not that I wanted to know.

But in the middle of pulling the wheel off the final drive and trying to get the caliper out of the way a little spacer or some such fell out on the floor and I have searched the Honda service manual and I don't see it anywhere as to where it might go. It fell out before I removed the pannier so it might be a spacer from the brakes or the seat or who knows? I don't believe it is in the final drive.

1580335723702.jpeg1580335746035.jpeg

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Dimensions may help here. It looks too small for an axle spacer.
Did you take off the grab rail cover behind the seat? It looks like possibly a spacer for it. There would be 2 of them.

Brad

OP
OP
MrTim
Bike
2011 Black NT700 ABS
Yes, i did remove that cover. I will take a look. I might be able to give measurements a little later. Thanks...

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I believe it is the spacer under the plate that holds the top case bracket. Is one end stepped? If not it probably is one of the original spacers for a bike without a top case. Hope this helps

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The passenger handholds are secured by two 8 mm bolts, plus a 6 mm pan head allen bolt in front and a long 6 mm hex head bolt at the very back. That is one of the spacers that fits into the handhold for the 8 mm bolts, and they provide metal-to-metal contact since the handhold material is not metal. There are two spacers on each side.

I long ago glued mine in place with 3M weatherstrip adhesive so dropping them on the ground or into the crevices of the bike is no longer a problem. :)

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yup! I recognize the spacer from when I installed my top box. One fell out and skittered across the shop floor. I like to never found it.

Mike

OP
OP
MrTim
Bike
2011 Black NT700 ABS
Sure enough, I see them on the diagram for the handrail. The left one is still attached so I will be able to fit them back in. Hopefully the other one is still in place. Thanks so much, I was worried it was something to do with my brakes.

Top Bottom