Removing the front fork dust seal while on the bike?

Lorien

Can't find this even with advanced search so... has anyone taken the front fork dust seal loose while the fork was in place? Trying not to damage the seal and get at the oil seal with a Seal Mate and get some debris out if possible. Thanks in advance.

Lorien, Chuck Henderson and I were all set to install the Triumph fork gaitors on my bike when it struck us that I was waiting for new seals and bushings to be installed under warranty.

But, we had already lifted the dust seal on the side that the seal was leaking, so while we had it up, we ran the Seal Mate around the seal. It fixed the seal, but since I was already getting new seals and bushings installed courtesy of Big Red, we didn't install the fork gaitors that day.

But, yes, just be gentle as you work your way around the dust cover and it will come up.

Lorien, Chuck Henderson and I were all set to install the Triumph fork gaitors on my bike when it struck us that I was waiting for new seals and bushings to be installed under warranty.

But, we had already lifted the dust seal on the side that the seal was leaking, so while we had it up, we ran the Seal Mate around the seal. It fixed the seal, but since I was already getting new seals and bushings installed courtesy of Big Red, we didn't install the fork gaitors that day.

But, yes, just be gentle as you work your way around the dust cover and it will come up.

Thanks! Let me inquire further. What did you use to get the seal up? I am concerned that a screwdriver small enough to get in the space between the seal and the top of the fork will damage the plastic as I pivot the screwdriver in an attempt to lift the dust seal.

I think we used a small, thin screwdriver. You could probably use the edge of a table knife. Just something thin. Take your time and work your way around the dust seal several times and you'll get it. When you tap it back down, go gently with that, too.

I use a putty knife with a blade that is about 1" across to help get the dust seal moving but it's not easy. The broader blade of the putty knife versus the tip of a screwdriver is less likely to damage the dust seal, at least in theory. I'm always careful not to strike the aluminum portion of the fork leg and I've never done it with the forks still mounted on the bike. Putting gaiters on the exposed portions of the fork are the best way to ensure long life of your fork seals.

If you look into the files on this site under "fork gaiters" I'm sure you can find the correct Triumph p/n. They were around $50 for a pair and 1 p/n only give you one gaiter so you have to order 2.

MMMM, Seal Mate? My old Kawasaki has had a problem with leaky forks even though they have been replaced and the fork tubes are clean as can be. Before I google Seal Mate any info?
Thanks.

After reading this thread I went and took a look at my forks. My right fork seal is seeping again just a little bit so I lifted the plastic fork guard and lifted the dust cover and ran my seal mate around the fork a couple of times. We will see if I will be replacing seals this fall. Any way took about 15 min. to do this. Here is a pic of the seal mate. About 5 to 6 bucks at the bike shop.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Just a follow up for anyone interested. I did indeed get the dust seal loose. Something of a chore with the wind deflector in the way. Turns out a dull one inch wide putty works well with one warning: gently insert the tip betwen the seal and the fork and slightly wiggle the blade in until you feel it bottom out then lift the whole blade without pivoting it. The pivoting will generated aluminum flakes off the fork. Must be very soft metal I suppose. Then go around the exposed edge lifting. Very slowly you will begin to get the plastic to come up a half millimeter at a time with a lot! of effort. Warning: at about 4 to 5 millimeter the seal will come loose very suddenly thus my bruised hand and knuckles. Inside was a fair amount of oily grit. After a thorough cleaning I put the seal back in place and test drove just to see. To my surprise so far the leak is not recurring. Time will tell.

I noticed just a slight seeping of oil around the top of the left fork seal, no leak yet just oil on the top of the seal.
Have some 35mm negatives. Will try that. Also noticed vertical scratches on the fork tube. Maybe some trash got between the tube and seal.

That dust seal is only there to protect the fork seal from ..... well dust/road grime. If your forks are weeping, it is the fork seal further down the tube that is the culprit. Sometimes debris gets stuck on the wiper and by inserting a thin instrument (like 35mm film) you can dislodge the debris and allow the wiper to get full contact with the tube and the leaking will stop.

Back
Top Bottom