Replaced reflectors with LED's

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
I really hate reflectors. Especially the 'afterthought' ones that get stuck on bikes to meet safety standards. So, I replaced mine with LED lights. I did this to my Rebel two years ago, and I loved the way it turned out.

I picked up 4 of these:

2 amber, 2 red, both with black casings.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-light-modules/round-led-accent-light/17/

Took the front reflectors off and ran the wires through the mounting holes.

The back has 3M sticky stuff on it, so I cut a wedge shaped section of the covering off, wiped the mount with alcohol and stuck it on.

Ran both sets of LED wires around the back of the brake lines, and then ran it up along the brake line to the back of the headlight area. I ran out of black shrink tube, but the yellow doesn't look too bad.... A zip tie across the top of the mounting bracket holds the wires tight, so if the 3M sticky stuff becomes unsticky, the light won't flop around. I used a lot of zip ties. :smile:

I used the parking light for power. Took the blades out of the plastic holder and soldered the wires to it.

tuck it all back together

For the back, I had to remove the handrails, and then unscrew the plastic pieces that holds the reflector and the latch for the pannier. Unscrew the reflector and run the wires through. Make sure you leave the metal sleeve in there. I spliced into the license plate light for the power on these.

All done!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Good-looking installation, Dee. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Dee,

Are they also reflective when not lit? The reason for the side reflectors is to be seen when your lights are not on. I usually add some reflective tape to my bikes.

Nice clean installation.

CommuterNT

Thanks for the "How To". I've been toying with the idea of replacing the stock reflectors with powered ones for awhile. Like the install and lights.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Dee,

Are they also reflective when not lit? The reason for the side reflectors is to be seen when your lights are not on. I usually add some reflective tape to my bikes.

Nice clean installation.
Yer thinkin' of older scoots, Charlie. The lights are always on, on the NT.

Mike

OP
OP
Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
The lights are not reflective when the power is off. I have some SOLAS reflective tape that I will be adding to the back, and possible some other strategic spots, but for me, reflectors while the bike is operating are useless. I would rather have 'powered reflectors' as opposed to having to have someones headlight shine on the bike in order to for the reflectors to work. And the stock reflectors are garbage anyway.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
.. And the stock reflectors are garbage anyway.
What about the stock reflectors makes them "garbage"? Do they not reflect light well, or are they to small, or not well placed, or maybe you just don't like the way they look?

I never figured reflectors on vehicles was for their use during operation. I always thought they were for when the vehicle was parked on the street or in a parking lot. Reflectors make an unlit/non-operational vehicle easier to see to those operating vehicles. Part of the rear taillight assembly is reflective also.

Adding additional light is something I do to all my bikes. I'm adding yet another brake light to the NT in the coming days. I've looked a bit at side lighting but not very seriously yet. You're comments are most welcome and helpful. Thank you.

OP
OP
Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
They don't reflect very well Rob. I prefer the aftermarket SOLAS stuff. You can point a 1 watt flashlight with a dying battery at it from 100 yds and it'll light up like its powered. And the stock ones just look so stupid.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The stock ones are left over from an obscure law for side reflectors. Tacky at best, but, they are there for a reason.

I do like aftermarket better and SOLAS is the top of the line. I tend to apply reflective tape on several areas of the bike, but, especially around the front sides and rear. I also like the bike to look more like a christmas tree than the chopper/cafe minimalist look. Another area that Honda could have done better on the NT.

And there are some issues with LED stuff if not designed properly, mainly the narrow angle of the LED itself. They need a much better design of housing/lens to work well as marker lights.

So, I do support extra lights, as long as you still have reflective stuff on the sides, front and back as well.

Top Bottom