Replacing pads front and rear

Jabiru

Hey all ... currently have my bike off for a bit of body repair work which includes removing the front fender and the right saddlebag body ... thought I would take the opportunity to replace the pads front and rear. Manual says to compress caliper pistons to remove old pads and make room for new ... shows a pair of thumbs pressing on outside of caliper body ... just tried that method with the rear (the fronts are dismounted at the moment) and there is zero movement of the caliper ... even tried using a small pry-bar to get extra leverage, still nothing. Not sure when the pads were changed last - only had the bike 5 months ... any hints/suggestions/tips?

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I use a pry-bar (actually a decades-old severely blunted screwdriver), but be careful not to scratch the disk surface. I put it in the gap between the pad backing plates, using just those as prying surfaces.

In the past, I've used a large C-clamp but haven't found way to make that work on the NT.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
What works best for me is to drive a tapered wooden shim into that gap. These are sold in packs at home improvement stores and made for leveling/centering windows and doors during installation. They are about 1-1/2" wide by 8-10" long and 1/4" thick at the fat end and the cost for a pack is $3-$4. If you're replacing pads, it's best to drive in the shim before the old pads are removed since after they're removed, there is quite a gap to fill. You can also use a c-clamp but it requires protection on the outside of the caliper to avoid marring the surface. Any crud on the exposed portion of the pistons could damage the seals so it's always a good idea to clean them with brake cleaner and a soft metal brush before you push them deep into the caliper

I always use shims whenever I have the calipers off, such as when removing the front wheel for a tire change. Creating a bigger gap than normal makes it much, much easier to reinstall the caliper onto the disc plus I've found that forcing fluid upwards has nearly the same effect as bleeding the brakes - it makes the lever or pedal feel much firmer.

As BobAgain mentioned, make sure there is space in the master cylinder reservoir as depressing the pistons will drive the fluid upwards. Once the work is done, operate the lever/pedal 3-4 times to push the pistons out to their normal position. If you don't do this, you'll be in for a surprise when you try to make that first stop!

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I have never been able to manually push the pistons into the caliper - always needed tools.

I just changed my pads yesterday, and I understand your problem. For the front pads, with the bike on the center stand, I used a "Ridgid" brand strap wrench that has nylon straps which I wrapped around the shock and used with a small block of wood to press against the caliper. I was sitting on a small rolling stool and could hold the tire with my other hand while doing this. Apply pressure and hold it for several seconds . . . it takes time to force the brake fluid back into the reservoir. You could also use a hammer handle and a belt plus a block of wood for this. You will need a 8 mm socket to pull the pin.

The rear is more fun. The first problem I ran into was removing the pin, which in this case requires a long 5 mm hex drive tool of some sort. All of mine were too short and I was forced to use a plain allen wrench, torquing by hand when I got done . . . which I don't like to do. I plan to fix this problem the next time I visit Harbour Freight with a "long" set of metric hex drive to 3/8" drive tools. Torque wrenches are a very good idea, especially when putting bolts into aluminum. Once you have the pin loosened, a bit of board about ten inches long by 1" x 4" will fit above the exhaust muffler and under the pannier to press against the caliper. I used my knee against the board with a rag wadded up for a pad, and pulled against the bike where ever I could get a hold on it. Again, the key is to apply pressure and hold it.

Once you get the calipers pressed in removing the pins is easy and will allow the pads to rotate out easily in all cases. I used EBC pads this time (they have more effective area), and so far like them a lot. BUT the front ones do not come with the clip on shims, so you must retrieve them from the old set. I also think it is very good practice to use some stiff silicone grease (NAPA Sil-Glyde, for example) between the brake shim and the steel backing of the brake pad. Once this grease is applied you wipe off all excess. The grease acts as a vibration damper and usually eliminates high frequency brake noise.

When putting in the new pads, first insert the pin to where it is close to where the pad will be, insert the first pad and feel for the spring it is intended to push against, inside where you can't see it. Once you feel you are properly positioned, push the pin in through the hole in the pad just enough to hold the first pad in place. Then insert the second pad the same way and finish pushing in the pin. Tighten and torque to specs. It really is that easy!

All in all, I was impressed by the design of these brakes, and changing the pads is very easy once you have done it once. Which is a good thing for me, as I only had 17.5 K miles on the OEM pads, and the right front pads were less than a single mm in thickness, but all others were only about half worn. I think I understand why this happened, and just wish Honda had when they engineered the system. I think they could have used smaller pistons on the right side front brakes, adjusting the piston area ratios between right and left to equalize the braking forces . . . but they didn't. My NT is my commuter bike and sees a lot of stop and go city traffic.

Hope this is useful,

Bill

OP
OP

Jabiru

All excellent suggestions .... thanks very much everybody ... will be attempting to fit pads in a couple of days (have to journey into Darwin - 150 miles) first to pick up the pads, my new right saddlebag and my repaired front fender (cracked a mount hitting a tiny bird at just the wrong angle while doing about 80mph), so will pick up what I need then.

Cheers from Downunder

OP
OP

Jabiru

Well, turns out getting the brake pads off was/is much easier than actually getting the correct pads! Went into Darwin the other day to pick up my brake pads (ordered after-market, not OEM to save a bit of money) and was handed 4, not the six that I needed. I pointed this out to the parts guy, who went to the supplier's catalogue and showed the listing, which was for a single disc on the front. Of course there are two. Order book also showed the same part number for front and rear ... silly me to think Honda engineers would use the same pads all the way around. Turns out they didn't. The four pads I took away with me were for the rear caliper which, of course, I did not discover until after I had the old fronts out and tried for an hour to get the new ones to fit. Finally I figured I would give the rears a try and bingo, took longer to unscrew the pin then it took to put the new pads in. Meanwhile I also discovered something else I didn't know. Have both front calipers dismounted and hanging by bungees. After replacing the back pads I tried the brakes a few times and they were not working ... pistons were moving but pads were not gripping the disc. I also noticed the fluid level on the rear reservoir had dropped alarmingly. Then I noticed a very large puddle of brake fluid and discovered that the rear brake hydraulic is linked to the front left system ... fluid had pushed the center piston so far out that it was squirting out around the sides! No wonder the rear brake wasn't working.

The upshot is the dealer has now ordered OEM front pads from Honda Australia (and agreed it would be a good idea to notify the aftermarket supplier that their catalogue is f****ed) ... but they are back-ordered so won't get them for another two weeks!!! AARRRGHH!! Also, apparently, the right and left pads are not identical ... so, it appears that on a bike with three brake calipers, it makes some sort of logical sense to have three completely different sets of pads.

Sometimes I wish I still had my '68 Bonneville ...

Cheers from Downunder.

PS ... just re-read the post from BillyDoc in Pensacola ... was wondering about that interlinking ... it appears that applying the rear brake also engages the left front and I thought that might account for the extra pad wear you noted ... but then, you said, the RIGHT front was worn more than the left?

Got me confused.

Bike
'10 Silver NT700
I just got my NT700 and PC800 back from inspection. The guy passed the NT but was surpirsed by how low the rear pads were. After reviewing his records, he asked how many miles I'd put on the bike since last June when I had had the previous inspection. Turns out it was 13K ago and with the NT being my daily commuter, I'm not surprised it wore down relatively quickly. Wished I'd have noticed it when I had the rear tire off for the replacement of the 90-degree valvestem that failed a couple of months ago.

Question - What are the part numbers for the three sets of brake pads? I want to be sure I order the right stuff. I'm seeing sintered pads with front being listed as two 06455-MCW-HO2. Is that right?

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
What are the part numbers for the three sets of brake pads? I want to be sure I order the right stuff. I'm seeing sintered pads with front being listed as two 06455-MCW-HO2. Is that right?
PAD SET, L. FR. 06456-MCW-H02
PAD SET, R. FR. 06455-MCW-H02
PAD SET, RR. 06435-MBL-D02

Looks like the pads are sold in sets, so should only have to order 1 of each set.

Bike
'10 Silver NT700
The best price for OEM pads on the front that I found is motosports.com at $35.55 per set and $45.64 for the rear set from mrcycles.com Anyone know of anywhere significantly less expensive for OEM? Or perhaps a vendor you prefer?

Top Bottom