Reserve gas tank

prof98801

Is the .9 reserve in the gas tank part of the total 5.2 gallons? When the gas gauge is way down in the red, are you in the reserve? I have not gone into the red at this point and wanted to know when the gas tank would be going on the reserve tank.

elizilla

There's no separate reserve tank; not even a separate reserve petcock. Just the lines on the fuel gauge.

When the gauge drops to the red, you have about a gallon left. I've run the needle down until it doesn't drop any farther, and still not put 5 gallons in.

The fuel pump is inside the tank and cooled by the gas around it, so it's probably not a good idea to run it down that far all the time, especially not in hot weather or stop and go traffic.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Fuel gauges are not graduated beakers, never found one to do more than suggest it was time to get fuel.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
There have been issues with the fuel pump which some people have put down to possible overheating (as well as running out of fuel). I am not letting the gauge drop much below about a quarter full if at all possible.

It would be nice if Honda had a light in the fuel gauge which comes on when the pump is no longer getting enough cooling.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I have pegged the needle down once. When I refueled it took 4.2 gallons. Since get nervous doing that i have gone back to managing fuel with the trip meter which I learned early since my old bike did not have a fuel gauge.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mine was about two needle-widths below the red line at the bottom of the red the other day and I put 4.802 gallons in. The most I've put in was 4.96 gallons. .24 gallons wouldn't have gotten me too far I don't think.

Top Bottom