Review: Stearns seat pad

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
There have been a couple references to the Stearns seat pad sold by Walmart in this forum (I think Chuck has one). This pad is designed for atv's, but fits the NT like it was designed specifically for it.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stearns-Black-ATV-Seat-Cover/10727537 Not all Walmarts carry the seat pad, but it is available on-line.
Prior to using this seat pad, my would be in great discomfort after about 150 miles, and in extreme discomfort after 200 miles. Yesterday I took a 400 mile ride with the Stearns pad on the NT. It definitely made longer rides more enjoyable for me. Although the pad doesn't really provide "comfort", it does extend the saddle time without any real discomfort setting in. There was only slight discomfort felt at the end of the day--not bad at all. For the money (around $16-$18), I would definitely recommend this.
For me, I've found my quick fix until the Corbin seat goes on my bike.

--Jeff

lcseds

I bought one as a temporary measure also. But I have been staring at it for two weeks now and have yet to install it. I know it's easy to install. Just another one of those things I walk past knowing it needs to be done, but not quite getting around to doing it.

maxweljames

During the weekly "Wally World" date with my wife I noticed they had these in stock. Previously they have not been carrying them, not even a place on the shelf for them. So for $18 I thought I'd give it a try. Just installed it yesterday, rode today, about 40 miles only. Due to the short trip I cannot comment on how much better it is for longer trips but it does help the hot seat issue when the bike has been in the sun for a little bit. And for the 40 miles my butt wasn't any less comfortable soooooo, no complaints.

I'm predicting (just by experience with similar type materials) that sun fading may be a problem after a long southern summer but maybe I'll be surprised.

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
I ordered the Sterns pad online to be delivered free to my nearest Walmart, and it was there 1 1/2 days later.
It fit the seat well, but I still had the problem of my "manly regions" going to sleep after about 30 minutes, and then my legs starting to tingle.
I took the pad and cut out the front two square pads in the center. I first thought i could remove the padding part and leave the empty square cloth for looks. But, the gel padding is stuck to the top material and just didn't look right after peeling it off, so I just cut the gel and top material of the 2 squares completely off, leaving the bottom canvas-like layer showing where the two squares were removed. It sits just right if the Sterns pad is attached as far forward as possible, even placing the front roll up on the rear of the tank slightly, to help keep you from sliding forward and form a "butt dish".
It really doesn't look too bad and the difference was very noticeable. I took a 45 minute ride this evening and no numbness or tingling was noticed at all.
This is basically the Saddleman Seat idea that they use on some of their seats to relieve the centralized pressure point, by forming a cutout channel. Anyway, for $18.00, perhaps this modification will help until I can afford a Corbin seat.

Top Bottom