Ride & Hike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
So being retired now for just over three years doing a lot of daily local rides, and having gone on a weight loss and exercise program as per my Docs orders, I find that I don?t have time for both If I go ride I don?t have enough time for my 3 mile walk in the afternoon. And If I stay home and walk I miss out on a good day of local mountain riding. So I came up with a solution. I started a Ride & Hike program. Wednesday was my first outing where I took my hiking boots and my Wee Strom and head out for some of the beautiful mountain / wooded trailheads we have here. I have not been much of a hiker in recent years. My Son has tried to get me to go hiking with him a few times but I always had some other thing to do. (Like GORIDE). So any way, a lot of our trail heads are on or at the end of dirt roads. Which makes the Wee a perfect bike for this Ride & Hike Program I stared out by riding up ST. Vrain Canyon, outside of Lyons Colorado. Highway 7. This is one of the best 20 mile rides one can have, as the pavement is smooth and free of sand and other road debris. Also the turns are high speed curves with no major surprises. If you catch it right, about 8:30 to 9am during the week, traffic is very light to no traffic at all. I love riding this road.
Got to the top and headed for Overland Road which is dirt and the ST. Vrain trail head is off of Overland road about 2 or 3 miles in. This is where I did my first hike. A two mile hike down the mountain along the ST Vrain Creek to a jeep road and then turned around and hiked back UP the mountain for 2 miles, back to the trail head and the bike. After the Hike and some recovery time I just played around on dirt mountain roads and some nice paved mountain residential roads. There was some sand on the pavement so I had to temper my riding a bit. Think I will be doing this again and get into this Ride & Hike more into the Spring and Summer By the way todays temperatures were in the high 60 ?s to low 70?s. Can?t ask for a better November. Day

Here are some pics of today adventure.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sometimes little Wee-Stroms get sleepy and take naps?

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
All good photos and then ouch. Good plan anyway.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Gotta watch the L-Tryptophan input on the Wee. Mine loves to nap, too, but adding some ground turkey to the gas puts it right to sleep.

Nice shots!! (I'm presuming 0568 was hiking not biking??)
Hiking and mountain bicycle trail.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
What happened to cause the last picture ?
Was making a sharp left up hill turn and was in too high of a gear, and stalled the bike. Over we went. Damage is a broken turn signal housing, which I glued back together as a temp basis. Can't believe Suzuki wants over 55 bucks for a replacement turn signal. Used a mixture of super glue and baking soda. Mix it together and one has a very strong epoxy. The Givi crash guards did there job. No damage to the side panel. C

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Seeing chucks experiences with We storm and KLR previously firms up my decision that if I get another off road trail bike it is going to be in the 125 to a max of 250 cc size and light on the weight figure.

Eldon

skiper

thanks for cautionary tale and glue tip. oh and Phil .. that hit my funny bone - sleepy wee - perfect

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Seeing chucks experiences with We storm and KLR previously firms up my decision that if I get another off road trail bike it is going to be in the 125 to a max of 250 cc size and light on the weight figure.

Eldon
You're right. I want one of about that (smalish) size. This is just another underline on the choice. My mountain bike weighs about 24 lbs. but it doesn't do as well on uphills as the kind with a motor. My motor is 69 years old and did better earlier in life.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
So today was a great day. I had a tooth pulled yesterday so I was no longer in pain. (last two weeks, I despise going to the dentist) I got to do some wrenching on my neighbors GoldWing. ( I am assisting him with a tire change and front fork rebuild) and then still had time for a Ride and Hike today. Decided I did not want to rid across Denver to get to the mountains so I though "Gee, Denver has some beutiful City Parks. Might just take a look at one of them". Well I chose to ride to Washington Park. I haven't been there in many years. I use to play flag football there when I was in my mid 20's. I think that was about 38 years ago. So I fired up the NT and plugged in Washington Park in the GPS and headed across town. Gorgeous day, beautiful park with a varied assortment of people to watch as I walk my 4 to 5 miles today. Spent about two hours walking and people watching. Circled the park twice and reminisced about my youth of 38 years ago. Lots of ladies walking their dogs today. The sights were grand. Ha, to be 30 years younger. But I digress. Think I will go to "City Park" next week.

Here are some pictures of today.

Last edited:

rcase13

Such nice pics and than that last pic. Really should have warned us! My heart just sank! I am still waiting on my first drop. Sometimes I just wish it would happen so I can put it behind me. I see it happening in one of two ways... I have bad knees so I am waiting for the knee to go out without warning. My knee is very sinister and likes to do it when I am not prepared for it. The second will be what happen to you. Sometimes I am come to a stop and think I am in 1st but really I am in 2nd. For some reason I sometimes have trouble getting the NT into 1st. Nothing wrong with the bike... it's all me.

Sounds like a great trip. Just the reason I bought my bike. I wish I had more friends that liked to ride and hike.

Top Bottom