Ride to Alaska

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Excellent photo's. How many miles round trip? How many days total? Just curious, cause I'm not doing it any time soon!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Lots of those places looked familiar! Jim Rau and I did the ride last summer after leaving the NT-Owners Rally in Spearfish. There was sure more snow still on the mountains when you were there than there was when we were there in late July and early August. Thanks for sharing your pictures!

OP
OP
RUSTINPEACE
Yes, indeed. I have a question, though. How did you do your insurance?
I have my insurance with State Farm it costs me $1600 a year for full coverage on my nt700v I think I pay way to much since my bike has 65000 miles on it but maybe it's because i'm 24 years old. All I had to do was call state farm and they sent me a pdf email with insurance for Canada and sent me a Canada insurance card in the mail. I was never asked for proof of insurance on the whole trip just asked for passport at border crossings and got stopped by a police checkpoint near Watson Lake Yukon and they just asked for my drivers license.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
way to go rustin', you did your magical trip. I wondered if you were taking a sabbatical from NT riding recently, had not seen a uptick in the mileage tracker, now I know why! Wow, lots of snow on mountain, solid ice on lake or river, you and fellow biker towing tires, and your NT needs a bath!!! Count it a blessing to go at 24 yrs young, when most can go near or at retirement!! Great pics, I will try the link on pics to see more!! Lets hear more ride stories????

I think the mosquitoes would almost be enough by itself to deter me from a trip like that, but congratulations. I'm impressed that at 24 you're already doing your bucket list.

Terry

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Will, Congratulations. At the TNT rally you said you planned on making the Alaska trip and I am happy to see you pulled it off. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Last edited:
Rustin' it was great meeting you at the TNT rally and riding with you that one day. I remember even then talking about your upcoming Alaska trip. So glad to see that you pulled it off successfully. I had planned to do that trip next year but am not so sure at this point. I have just two questions, - how far did you get into Alaska, and did you have any tire troubles? Wendell

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
What Phil said. A lot of those places looked real familiar. Thanks for sharing. And your black NT looks just like mine did (and still does to some extent). I never got all that slime off even after several attempts. But I am proudly very poor at washing my bike.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I have my insurance with State Farm it costs me $1600 a year for full coverage on my nt700v
State Farm insures my FJR also. I am paying almost $600 a year for full coverage - with a $50 (not a mistake) deductible. It was going to be about $540 with a $1k deductible, then my insurance lady said, "Let's see what lowering the deductible will do." But then, I am 67 and I have been riding for about 45 years.

So I am glad all I basically need to do is tell them I am going to Canada.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The mosquito level in Alaska must vary a lot with the time of the year. I got a few bites when we were with Jim's friends NE of Fairbanks, but really didn't notice too many the rest of the time.

If I go earlier, I want to be sure Rick is with me so they can concentrate on him.

OP
OP
RUSTINPEACE
I have just two questions, - how far did you get into Alaska, and did you have any tire troubles? Wendell
I just went to Fairbanks and Seward you can see my route for the trip over here https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=a026538bf3d492227&showInfo=yes&showHome=yes&hoursPast=0&fillFactor=100&zoomLevel=10&showWeather=no&units=F I didn't get the gps tracker set up correctly until I got to Indianapolis though.

I didn't have any tire problems. But I did have the rear tire changed in Fairbanks at the Honda dealer all they had in stock was a bridgestone bt023 in a 160/70/17 size. I then strapped the 150/70/17 pilot road 4 I rode up there on my bike and carried it all the way back home. The tire probably would have still been good for another 2500 miles though.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Thanks for all the pictures and report Rustinpeace. That sounds and looks soo awesome ! Sorry I didn't get to meet you at the TNT. Hope we can make the acquaintance another time when I get back down your way. Great adventure and I thought mine was great at 16 days, camping most the way and only 5031 miles total.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
The only way i could survive in Alaska would be to either cover my body in grease or weat a rubber suit
Mosquitoes love me like a hog loves slop!

Top Bottom