Rider prep for long haul events

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
How do you prepare for a long distance event? I am talking about the rider here, not the bike.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
Along with #3 on their list, we forgo coffee and pop drinks in the days before we leave. I am addicted to caffeine (it forms the base of the dispatcher food rhombus) and find that if I don't cut it out, I'm always tired on the trip.

Another thing we do is watch the weather. you can usually figure out what the weather is going to do by watching the patterns for the week or so before you leave. NEVER rely on the evening news pablum. NOAA is your friend.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Depends... Long Distance for some is laughable for others, some of my riding I consider is long distance yet there are those out there going from coast-to-coast that would laugh at my rides.. LOL.. I guess we laugh at each other..

I prefer 800 mile days as a max. I know I can and have done a few 1k days but for me it doesn't give me a lot of time to setup/break down the campsite or some lounging around time. That 800 miles is pretty much highway stuff so if you throw in side roads I may drop it to 500-600 mile days... Throw in a bunch of scenic byways or very twisty roads and that drops even more.

How do you prepare? Well, you're just sitting there so the biggest issue is comfort... I like to move around a little... roll shoulders, sit on the left cheek for a while, then right... hang a leg out or even stand on the pegs for a few seconds. Make sure you keep hydrated, winter or summer, you need to keep your fluids steady.. obviously more important in the summer but needs to be done during wintertime as well.

Bite off a little at a time.. do a 200 mile day ride... then a 200 mile out and 200 back ride.. then try 250... you're half-way to 1k right there and at the end of a 500 mile day, you're thinking that wasn't so bad.

What is your goal? There are folks that love the ironbutt stuff and live for that type of riding.. that's fine for them, just not my thing as I have to keep track of records and stats and scheduling as part of my regular job so when I get on the bike I do not want to do that... MY goal is to just ride and get as much riding in that I can and keep it fun. Sometimes, that's a 200 mile day...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Besides riding a lot, I'd suggest getting your body in shape by doing some kind of cardio exercise on a regular basis - walking, jogging, swimming, etc. And don't believe those ads for whiz bang machines that promise "only 5-minutes a day" will make you look like a 17-year old kid who spend most of his time in the gym! Having good muscle tone helps do the long days without feeling like you died the next morning.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
And here I don't do much of anything to prep for a trip, other than pack the bike. I find that carefully packing the bike makes the trip easier. Everything is where I need it and convenient. The only thing I could call prep is to try and get some sleep the night before. What you wear is the most important thing to me. Keeping warm or cool and dry is key to enjoying or hating the ride. Some of my most enjoyable rides were in rain and my worst was when it was colder than I expected and I did not dress for it.

My travel distance depends on a lot of things. The types of roads, travel through cities, sightseeing, etc, etc. We usually plan 12 hours of travel. Get up, get coffee and something to eat (anything from a full breakfast to just a protein bar) and get on the road. We have done as little as 300miles and up to 700mi in 12 hours. None what I would call hard riding. Stopping frequently. Sitting down for a decent lunch.

It all depends on what your goal is. Do you want to see some sights or just do the distance? Do you want a scenic route that may average 30-40mph or do you want a US highway at 65mph or even interstate at higher speeds? Are you going to start early and stop late?

The important thing is to enjoy your ride. If you are having fun the rest is easy.

tawilke46

+1 to what Joe and charlie b said.........my rides are mostly at a leisurely pace on back roads. Rarely more than 300 miles in one day. Unless I am heading out on a long trip, then may get to 500 miles or so in one day. However I still try to avoid the Super Slab as much as possible. The real interesting rides are on the back roads!

OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Iron Butt is, I think, a little too hard core for me. I was thinking (and should have mentioned it) more in the line of something like 4 Corners or 3 Flags.

4 Corners seems to have pretty liberal timing requirements so you have time to stop and smell the roses. Plus, I have immediate family in San Jose and central Maine. :)

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Can anyone clarify rule16? I cant decide if they are saying get gas and eat at the same time or to do it in two stops. The language is confusing

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If you've stopped for gas and then are putting your helmet and riding gear back on to ride just a short distance to eat, they're suggesting you ride a longer distance.

I usually try to connect a gas stop and a food stop without having to suit up/helmet up to get from the gas to the groceries.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Just out of curiosity, Brother Epic Rider, are you going to register for the Four Corners Ride? I am. But you're right, it's not a tough ride if you've got 21 days to spend...after June 9, I'll have all the time I need!

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Red, Rule 16 is one you will find can wok ood either way. a lot of it depends o you and your body wha works for me may not work for you, if you do a split stop , one for gs and a pit stop , and have more than ample gas , you may wan to stop again for a second pit stop before you need gasI used to ride out most of a full load of fuel , like 11. 2 - 11. 3 gallons, on a wing that is still 350- 425 miles depending on how hard you are twisting that throttle In todays world I usurally end up having to stop in 3 - 3 1/2 hours regardless, then again if I have weaned myself off of cafine soemtimes I can make it from fuel point to fuel point repecially on the NT. I also second what Phil said earlier, if you are taking time to get out of and bck into gera for a meal stop at a sit down resturant you aer going to wipe out a our which will ruin your average spped . If you can handle it a sandwich , or any quick snack is begte durring the day , and then get your better meal when you have stopped for thenight.

eldon

Last edited:
Bike
JohnC,

The SCMA fourcorners is a good ride with plenty of goof off time allowed, i did mine spending a two day unschedualed break in MT due ti a May snow storm that shut down the road, then 3 days playing in Omaha, then a 4 day play time in Indiana, , then when I got to FL I spent two days resting before doing Key West for the fourth corner and still clocked off the clock in 17 days. The 3 flags event is a bit tighter time frame, although I have not done it as i choose not to go into Mexico. It is a well organized ride and SCMA puts forth a lot of effort to make it interesting, I would suggest doing four corners first .I enjoyed all of it, but Madaska Main is teh high light of it, I had the good fortune to meet up with members of thier four corners club there and spent a very enjoyable evening visiting with them, Plan on spending a nite there staying at Martin's motel just up the street a short distance from the Post office and gas station. The folks at marin's Motel are members of the four corners group and I recieved a special certificate from them.

Regards,
Eldon

The SCMA fourcorners is a great ride, and as you said it leaves you plenty of play timealong th way.I playe
Iron Butt is, I think, a little too hard core for me. I was thinking (and should have mentioned it) more in the line of something like 4 Corners or 3 Flags.

4 Corners seems to have pretty liberal timing requirements so you have time to stop and smell the roses. Plus, I have immediate family in San Jose and central Maine. :)

Bike
You are right Rick if you are on a particular IBA chalange ride that specifys milage between gas stops, but while i was on the wing I did a lot of IBA extreme type rides that I never botherd turningin certificates for, and there are some rides you can for and not have to worry about the 300 mile fuel point. None of the serious rallys have a fuel milage requirement LOL with a strock NT fuel tank there is no way you are going to come close to 300 miles on a tank , and plumbing the NT for a fuel cell is a lot more work than I am going to do. the 29 rules are writen as a good suggestion snf they sll hsve tier plsvr snf spplivstion. the point I was making was that 16 as written doesn't work for all of us , it is a suggestion and not a requirement.

Eldon

Bike
LOL RickI must agree with both you and y our friend, I droped my gl1800 numerous times<but the one thing I will say is that with the NT yes we may scratch up our paniers, BUT if you happen to be way out in the middel of nowhere withThe NT and drop it you have a gomuch better chance of getting it back on it's feet than with the wing, BEEN THERE DONE THAT!! In my case in my worls oday If the nt decides to lay down for a nap I am in the position tha I am not srong enough to lift it anyway,BUT the NT is so much easier to handle I can't see me on another wing. LOL if that should ever happen I still have the 4 1/2 gallon cell that would hook up in a matter of minuts once the fuel inlet plate had been pulled and a 90 degree fuel inlet plumed into it.. If I were going to try another BBG, on the NT It would be with AUX fuel although I might have to do some shade tree enginerring on the fuel feed to the main. Before you give me a bad time about m engineering degree, I did earn mine 5 1/2 months in Nourersour, outside of Cassablanca Morroco January - June 1958 and 18 months at Wheelus, Libya May 64-Dec 65 just before Kadafy came into power. WE did some repair work there that was pretty shaby and cut some corners tha probably shouldn't have been done, but we got the job done.

BUT I don't see me attempting the extreme miles any more against the clocketc. When I ahve to stretch out and cover ground it is nice to know all the little tricks to make it happen and to know myself well enough to know when to shut it down before I am in serious trouble.

I think the biggest mistake made by some people regarding didtance is thiere not knowing then=mselves and whagt thier body is telling them, they think they can make it to XXX and be OK, If I get those signs coming on I find a safe spot and get of the road for long enough to rejuvinate myselfe, then get to a better place andif I need to find a room or a park bench etc to get a power nap.Well over a milllion miles of big truck time one gets to where they know that.

Bike
Plus 1 Sam,

A rest areea is last on my choices of a place to stop, truck stops second in line. i don't care for either one, but the are safer than stopping along side of a fog line on the shoulder of a highway. I will use a on- ramp with a good wide area away from the ramp its self being it is away from the road way. best is to have a planed idea for the destinaion m, an a alternate in case there is nothing availible, be it a camp ground , or a motel, or start thinking about a looking for a place well before darknes is closing in on you, especialy when traveling in unfamiliar areas.

elizilla

I have taken naps in a lot of rest areas, all over the country, in daylight and at night. Closest I ever get to trouble is good samaritan types who wake me up to fuss at me about my safety. In Ohio, which is a state I end up crossing frequently, the rest areas are generally attended (mostly by friendly developmentally disabled people - I think it's a work program for them there), and I have pulled into them in the rain and had the attendants offer to let me park my bike in their toolsheds.

Truck stops, not so much. Women motorcyclists are a bit of a fantasy object for truckers, and while I haven't ever had any real trouble and I find it amusing, it's hard to sleep when some guy is chatting you up. The thing Rick describes, with truck stop restaurants? I'd never get any sleep - someone always wants to chat, and just because they're friendly doesn't mean it doesn't prevent your power nap.

I have also slept behind churches and schools, sometimes going so far as to pitch my tent and camp for real. But I prefer a cheap clean motel if I can find one - I sleep better in a bed and I like having my own bathroom, and I always worry that the police will roust me if I pitch my tent in some unorthodox place.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I guess I am a bit different as I have only once taken a nap during a drive/ride, and that was after being on duty for 24hrs (it was a stupid time to drive, but, I was young).

Have driven/ridden for many, many miles (my wife hates to drive so I do all the driving and I ride solo). When staying at motels I will drive for 12-15hrs a day. When towing the trailer I limit it to 10hrs just to leave time for tear down and set up. Have never felt the need to take a nap in the middle of the day. Multiple day trips I setup camp or stay in a motel. And my overnight stops are just that, at night. I'd never sleep at a rest area at night while on the bike. I don't even park the RV in a rest area overnight. Safety being one concern and the other is the noise. Same thing for truck stops, too noisy.

I've never had a situation where I could not find a campground or motel to stop at, even in bad weather emergency situations. Guess I have just been lucky.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've taken a couple of naps at the Iron Butt Motel, sacking out in my 'Stitch and helmet on a picnic table. My worst time for sleepiness while riding is between about 1:30-2:30 PM. The first time I took the nap, I was riding up Lolo Pass, the famous 77 Miles of winding road in Idaho. I had been told that it was heavily patrolled and that the limit was rigidly enforced. It seems like the speed limit was 50mph back then in the summer of 2001. Turning side-to-side at 50mph when the curves would be better ridden at 70 was a recipe for drowsiness!

The other time was west of Mitchell, SD, after I'd decided to bag the BBG attempt. I didn't sleep very well (it was about 105 and the wind was howling), but dozed a bit in the shade on a picnic table.

I've never gotten sleepy at night while riding.

Top Bottom