riding ideas

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I'm taking the week of 10/21 to go riding. I had originally planned to ride to TN and NC but the forecast for next week is no good, and its already too cold for me in CO and points north.

I'm thinking about going to AZ and re-ride AZ191 out of Morenci, but I was wondering if anyone has good knowledge of other AZ riding opportunities?

Clay

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Clay, during the Three-Flags Classic back in '14, I enjoyed riding from Globe to Payson on AZ188 and AZ87, then AZ260 to the split with AZ87. Then take 87 to 209/3 (Lake Mary Road) past Mormon Lake on into Flagstaff. In Northern Arizona, the loop on US-89A to Kanab, UT, would let you see the North Rim of the Canyon (assuming that road is still open), and then from Kanab you could either take US-89 back to Page, then 98 to US-160. From 160, you could go south on 191 to 164 at Burnside and then take that back east towards Ya-Ta-Hey and then hit I-40 to go home.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I drive my wife crazy. She's always asking me how I remember all the places I've been. All I can say is that I don't do anything special to remember places and roads -- I just do and always have. Once we were driving across southern Kansas and passed an intersection with a dirt road and I turned around and went north on that. My wife asked me why, and I told her it would take her to the Eldorado airport (about 120 miles north). I had been on that road once when I was 8 with my uncle.

I hardly ever remember highway numbers, but I can remember curves on roads that I've only ridden in the opposite direction. I don't understand it, but my son is almost as good, so it may be genetic.

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
SNIP > then AZ260 to the split with AZ87 Then take 87 to 209/3 (Lake Mary Road) past Mormon Lake on into Flagstaff. < SNIP
To take Phil's suggestion in more westerly/southern direction by continuing on AZ 260 to Cottonwood vice AZ 87 toward Winslow, you will travel into to the Verde Valley area. Note that AZ 260 and AZ 87 are the same road from Payson to the split/turn off to Cottonwood. Picking up AZ 89A in Cottonwood and continuing through Clarkdale to Jerome and on to Prescott is a fun scenic ride. Staying on AZ 89 through Prescott headed to Congress is very enjoyable also ultimately ending up at Interstate 10 for your return home.

Top Bottom