OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I Iike Ruriko better! LOL!
Cruise control, wide range of adjustable windscreen, interesting luggage, grip heater, upright riding position, and I am sure many of us can flat foot it. I understand the reasoning behind using the same engine family for three bikes...but as R. Said, this is not a lightweight bike. I am not sold on the DCT for me and I dont know the price but it will be interesting to see if this is imported.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
There's a good report of a first ride of the NT1100 in the current issue of BIKE magazine. They are impressed by it as a touring bike. Oddly enough they think it is "satisfying" rather than "exciting."

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
There's a good report of a first ride of the NT1100 in the current issue of BIKE magazine. They are impressed by it as a touring bike. Oddly enough they think it is "satisfying" rather than "exciting."
The road tests on Hondas in BIKE are frequently somewhat dismissive. By that, I mean the Hondas are so predictable, reliable, and perfect that they are not exciting. Personally, those traits are exactly what I look for in a bike. There's a certain comfort knowing that your bike is going to get you where you wanna go, everytime!

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Possible replacement for my FJR. They might even get me to come back to Honda, if it ever comes to the US. FJR now has 50,000 miles on it and am seven and a half years of ownership. The FJR got fat and heavy in seven years.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
My guess is that American Honda will bring the NT1100 here and more likely in the fall of this year? They do need a touring bike below the Gold Wing so it'll fill that slot nicely.

Phil - Honda has always gone on the conservative side for engine power which to us older farts is the correct path. :)

Even the DCT model weighs less than the NT700V ABS model and it has quite a few more features, is larger and more powerful. Lack of shaft may kill it for some but it has a center stand and chains have been reliable and strong for decades. The manual version is right there at ~520 lbs, same as my ‘07 Interceptor. Amazing what technology has done for bikes over the years.

Still no announcement from American Honda about the bike coming to North America so if I were gonna get something new I’d get the more powerful and sporty Suzuki and keep the NT700V for more utilitarian use.

A4834E1A-C4B1-411A-9D5A-A8ACAC2AF826.pngE553AB2F-82B9-4F12-AF46-A0AEF7CB19AE.jpeg9863C310-9A3B-4CDE-9B71-73E15B03DFC3.jpeg

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm impressed by the Suzuki, too. If I were at a stage of my life where I could feel comfortable on something with more power, it would be a bike I'd consider. But I'm happy with my NT. I just hope I get to ride it more.

Bike
NT700v, MG v85tt, KTM 690
You could just click the CC and read.. lol

I like what they've done.. no drive shaft but the DCT alone to me would really make it something desirable.
I think they would sway a much larger part of their intended market with a shaft drive.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I think they would sway a much larger part of their intended market with a shaft drive.
Re-engineering this particular engine to accommodate a shaft drive would be major work, I'm sure Honda ran the numbers and determined it not to be cost effective. As much as we would like all the bells and whistles, manufacturers have to make these choices to compete. Chains have come a long way from the olden days, I'll bet this bike performs so well you'll forget all about the fact it's not a shafty.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, a shaft drive would appeal to a segment of the market but it might also turn off an equal number of potential buyers who don't want the extra weight and increased cost.

It's not just the back end of the chassis that has to be re-engineered for shaft drive. During the 80s era of V4s, the engine in the chain drive Honda turned in one direction while the shaft drive models had engines that turned in the opposite direction! On chain drive bikes, the rear wheel and crank always turn counterclockwise. There is a way to make the rear wheel and crank in a shaft drive bike turn in the same direction but it requires extra gears at the back of the engine case. Just imagine trying to fit chain drive to a BMW GS!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Oddly enough they think it is "satisfying" rather than "exciting."
Likely the stigma of pretty much all current motorcycles (AKA "UJM") offered... forced by emission regs and price competition the balance of a fully faired sport tourer with some decent motorization seems hard to fulfill...
Still can't wrap my head around proclaiming a 2 cyl with minimal fairing and chain drive as "long distance tourer"... 🤔
I'd rather chosen the VFR 800 X (or even the VFR 1200 X) as platform, and tacked a shaft drive plus a full fairing with proper weather protection onto that...

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Likely the stigma of pretty much all current motorcycles (AKA "UJM") offered... forced by emission regs and price competition the balance of a fully faired sport tourer with some decent motorization seems hard to fulfill...
Still can't wrap my head around proclaiming a 2 cyl with minimal fairing and chain drive as "long distance tourer"... 🤔
I'd rather chosen the VFR 800 X (or even the VFR 1200 X) as platform, and tacked a shaft drive plus a full fairing with proper weather protection onto that...
These parallel twins are easier to manufacture and assemble, much less parts than a vee engine or an inline 4, plus with less pistons, smaller bores, they can have less friction which means more mpg, less emissions. Car engines are going this way too, smaller bores, roller rockers to reduce friction, micro polished crankshafts, direct injection, tiny turbos, etc.

I'm actually quite impressed by these new-thinking engines, ex wife had a CTX700 and it was quite smooth and torquey, plus mpg was outstanding. I own one of the newer Honda cars that's a small DI turbo engine, and it's really strong and saves me a lot of gas money. No complaints.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS & 3 XS650s
For my money, Honda durability and quality is worth a lot (although I also own Yamahas and had a Suzuki GS850G in the past - which was also superb). Frankly, if you stay away from Chinese and Italian bikes - there is little to worry about on the reliability, serviceability and durability scores IMO. The Japanese manufacturers have really gotten all of that nailed down in my experience.

I do like the NT1100 - but I sure wish it had a shaft and didn't look so much like a transformer toy.

All of that aside, at present I am really enjoying my 1983 BMW R100RS which does have hard cases, USB and 12V charging ports, a nav system (although I have a Garmin Zumo, on the bimmer with its narrow handlebars, I just use a small Garmin 250 Nuvi car unit with a bit of screen sealing) AND it has a shaft drive plus it even weighs about 20 lbs less than the NT1100.

Now, the R100RS doe not have rider modes (that is what the twist-grip throttle is for - isn't it? ;)), nor does it have ABS or 100 hp - but it is plenty fast enough for me and I love the sound, looks and smoothness of the airhead boxer twin. Also, it is about as complex as a big garden tractor so I can fix it anytime and even though it is 40 years old, parts are readily available and of high quality - and it cost me less than 1/3 of what a new NT1100 is likely to cost - if Honda ever deigns to bring it to Canada.

Pete

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Honda durability and quality is worth a lot...
Lowering the number of cylinders will impede that...
Can't imagine those NC engines last 4~500,000km like the SC26 plants (1100cc V4)
I do like the NT1100 - but I sure wish it had a shaft and didn't look so much like a transformer toy.
Agreed...
And that it's overly complicated... 19 seconds for the instruments to boot up... every time you put the key in... seriously?!
Wondering what replacing that touchscreen costs in case of a parking lot tip-over...
That LHS switch-pod... :oops:
And I'm positive it'll have to be online for every change of oil, brake fluid, brake pad, filter or headlight insert...

Top Bottom