RIDING the Working on the Railroad Rally

That is embarrassing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You rode more miles on that rally than I have in a year on my NT.......I am very embarrassed. Seriously, congratulations on your finish!! Very sorry to read about the gentleman who was killed and those that were in accidents....Glad you and the others made it home safely and planning for the next one.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Scoop, sounds like it's time to do some riding! It's cool here in Colorado today -- hope you guys get some of this cooler air in north Texas!

Yes, I certainly agree with you....The music minister at our church who also rides an NT and I are wanting to go ride northern New Mexico and southern Colorado...If not this year,perhaps next.I ride almost every day,just don't go any where.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Is your music minister a member of this Forum? If not, suggest it to him -- I need some professional support (I'm a re-re-retired United Methodist minister). :)

Yes he is but he doesn't post much....He got his NT about a year before I got mine....We rode the twisted sisters in south Texas a year ago this past June but I was on a Silver Wing maxi scoot at the time...camped in Kerrville,Tx when we rode and had a nice ride....I will tell him what you said.....And by reading your post,you do not stay retired very long!! Your epic ride was just that and we all thank you for taking us along with you.If you are ever in the neighborhood let me know....Joe and I would like to meet you and listen to some of your riding adventures.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
There's a chance I'll be down that way in '16. Depends on whether or not the Longview High School Class of '61 has 55th reunion.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Is your music minister a member of this Forum? If not, suggest it to him -- I need some professional support (I'm a re-re-retired United Methodist minister). :)
No such thing as "retired" clergy. :p You may be asked to do your own funeral, Phil.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
amazing riding skills to be safe at that age and riding at night. how can phil remember so many details?? he does have the gift of writing and maybe some gab too!! hopefully he didn't pen in the gab while writing his sermons!!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I can see why many riders would enjoy the challenge of riding in a rally but when I also hear about a rider going full bore into the back of a truck it makes me think it would not be for me. It seems like it would take a unique person not to get distracted.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It's a particularly strange form of insanity. I'm still not sure that it's something I'll do very often. Overall, the safety record of these rallies is pretty good -- maybe not quite as good as Sturgis, but not as bad as the one death on the WotR makes it sound. I never felt distracted by the Rally tasks or the distances I was riding. I did get pretty sleepy around noon of the first day of the rally when I was riding between Sheridan and Gillette on interstate. Midday is the time I my energy and focus is usually at its lowest ebb. I know that and made the decision to get off the bike and move around when I got to Gillette. I was stopped at Gillette for a little over an hour and my energy level was back up when I got back on the road. The only other time I felt a uncertain about continuing was as I got to Minot. I had planned a rest stop there and was off the bike for three hours and got 2 1/2 hours sleep. I was renewed when I got back on the road.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Thanks for the great report Phil it is always good to "ride along" on one of your adventures as you tell the story.

About 30 years ago a friend from Church was killed in the same way you mentioned. It was devastating for all of us but mostly for his young wife. He was such a good rider and we never did understand how it happened and your account has brought back those memories from what seems to be a long time ago.

Ride safe everyone!

Seagrass

Top Bottom