Riding Undergarments

Bike
Bonneville T120
I didn't see and undergarments category so I decided this would be the best place. I see moisture-wicking underwear advertised in Rider Magazine from two companies:
Silvereagleoutfitters and ldcomfort. Have any of you used any these or any of the other gear aimed at keeping you dry when riding?
Thanks

docta

Haven't tried either of those, but here at the Retirement Home, we always use Anti-Monkey Butt powder before riding other than locally....especially in hot weather.....and never get monkey butt.......
Always ride safely and keep your airspeed under control.

TW

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Try Bycycle Shorts. Available at Dick's Sporting Goods for about $20. They will do everything you want them to do and more. Buy the "Quest" brand. I do 100+ miles in them on the bicycle and have done 500+ miles in them on my Ninja. Aerostich advertises similar shorts at twice the price. Wear the Quests without underwear under your riding pants. Your ride will never be the same.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I have some boxer briefs from Target that seem to work. About $8 a pair. Main thing is NO COTTON and keep seams and hems away from where your legs cross the seat. I will try the cycle shorts though.

Igo

REI should be every long distance riders second favorite toy store. Sometimes I'm sure it is really a motorcycle shop.

bicyclist

I've tried a fair number of kinds of underwear and have settled on the http://www.ldcomfort.com/ . They wick moisture, they have no seams where you sit and they have spandexy type support. I've ridden tens of thousands of miles wearing them. They're not cheap, but they're the best. I ride in them all day, then wash them in the sink and wring them out in a towel. Hang them up to dry and put them on again in the morning.

Let me repeat the important point about having no seams where you sit.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
+ 1 on the LD Comfort garb. I bought long pants and a long-sleeved shirt from Mario at the IBA meeting. I've worn them in heat and I've worn them in cold. They work in either. When temps are just cool or just warm, I don't wear them, but they sure work in the extremes.

Mario did a little demo at the IBA meet that was interesting. He took a piece of the material, put it in a dish of water, got it good and saturated, took it out of the water, squeezed it in his hand, and then let me take it. The "inside" was dry as a bone, the "outside" was wet.

maxweljames

Haven't tried either of those, but here at the Retirement Home, we always use Anti-Monkey Butt powder before riding other than locally....especially in hot weather.....and never get monkey butt.......
Always ride safely and keep your airspeed under control.

TW
Monkey Butt????

Here in Georgia we call that Swamp A*s. :eek1:

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
On long trips, I wear silk thermals as a base, then depending on temp, layer with a mid weight or heavyweight (or both) Polartech or wool thermals.

For normal 'drawers', I wear Ex Officio stuff. comfy, stays dry and you can wash in the sink and it'll be dry by morning.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Rick,

I know nothing about the compression sorts. I have used only LDComforts for the last several years. I do have a pair mil issue long johns that are real good also on a cold day, the top has a turtle neck with a zipper in it. They were given to me when son came home from sand pile. Teh no monkey but powder is a quote from Mario the owner of LDComfort , also the same information was put out especially regarding medicated powder by Don Arthur, Sugeon General USN RET, a serious LD rider who has shared his knowledge with the Ld comunity.

Eldon

Bike
2010 NT700V
I have been only riding with LD for a week, but I now I seem to want to use them all the time! But they are expensive. Its a matter if you want the best.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...Try Bycycle Shorts. Available at Dick's Sporting Goods for about $20...]

Yes, I also have Quest bicycle shorts and have happily used them 3+ years but I wear microfibre undies under them, that are washed out in my hotel room each night on a long trip. A lot of stuff in the Aerostich catalog has been sourced from elsewhere and marked-up accordingly.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I have been only riding with LD for a week, but I now I seem to want to use them all the time! But they are expensive. Its a matter if you want the best.
Yes they are expensive, but they will last you a LONG time. I gave away the first pair of the shorts i bought over 10 years ago because they got to be to small, my fault, after I retired I have gradually added some waist line dimensions.
A good friend that I ride with here was the proper size and he has continued using them with no issues th last couple of years. I would guess that even if worn daily you will get over 10 years service out of them , so divide that cost by year and it won't seem nearly as expensive.
Eldon

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I must be too cheap. I used bike shorts first. Not bad and not too expensive.

Then at Target found Champion long briefs. They come in three different leg lengths and I got the long.

For colder weather I found some "base layer" stuff from Costco. Don't know brand, and not really cheap ($30), but, they work well.

The Tourmaster Venture Air pants and briefs work well in warm to hot weather (70 deg and up). When temp gets below 70 I'll use the long underwear. When below 50 I zip in the rain liner. When below 30 I zip in the cold weather liner (the pants come with the two liners).

Keep in mind I wear the underwear almost every day to and from work, so I have to be able to buy at least 6 pair at a time. The only difference is for work I wear kevlar jeans instead of the Tourmaster pants.

Last edited:
Top Bottom