Riding West

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Here is a link http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/2-general-kawasaki-versys-discussions/93241-2-weeks-16-states-almost-6-000-miles-memories-galore.html to a ride report for the ride we took two weeks ago. Mitch, my Versys riding buddy, did a good job writing the report and posting it in installments on the Versys forum. He is a better writer than I am, but I did add some posts and pictures to the series. Some viewers had a Google map open on a screen next to the ride report which helps make more sense. There are even some references to our own Phil Tarman.

Here is the destination (West Coast) and the beginning of the trip. The Versys Forum has the parts in between.

Attachments

Bike
2011 NT
That was an awesome trip. Have done about 75% of the roads you took. Hope to get back out that way next year. A great day to day up date.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Jim, tell Mitch that I really enjoyed his write-ups and photos. I think he did very well with words. Sounds like you guys had a great trip. Also, if it's OK with Mitch, send me his email address.

See you again one of these days!

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Great ride, and memories, for an 'older gent'. My trip on Skyline and Blue Ridge my son referred to me as the 'old man' to everyone we talked to: and you know I did not mind, great riding was all I cared about.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Jim,
Nice write up on KV website. Sounded like a great trip with awesome scenery. I did laugh about his Yellowstone comments. Nothing interesting ... except ... steaming geyser basins, erupting geysers, boiling mud pots, grand canyon of Yellowstone, wildlife ... but doing 400 miles per day is a busy ride! To see Yellowstone you must ride the park early to avoid the RVs and animal jams.

I book marked Mitch's write up so I can read it again when it is snowing and the maps are on the table!

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Great event. Coyote Chris and I had a good time at the Reno Air Races. Each year may be the last. Word was the crowd was bigger than the last three years. The unlimited class was won by retired space shuttle pilot "Hoot" Gibson in the highly modified P-51, Strega. Nice hobby for a 69 year old. Picture was taken in the pits before any qualification flights. Hoot was giving an interview.
Hoot.jpg
Fly low, fly fast, turn left.

Last edited:
OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Frosty, we may have had a near contact. Mitch and I were passing through Reno about the time you were getting there. I don't know your schedule and didn't try to contact you or Chris. Mitch isn't interested in airplanes, I'm interested, but not knowledgable. You would have had to explain everything to me that is more advanced than the model airplanes I flew as a kid.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Jim, The actual Air Race venue is at Stead Airfield, north of Reno. It sounds if you were putting on miles but you probably close.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
"From there we rolled down to West Yellowstone where Jim entered the park on some type of pass he had. I on the other hand, paid my $25 to get in. Hopefully Jim can chime in again and fill in the details on the route through Yellowstone because I don't remember exactly how we went through the park. I know there were some lefts and some right but I still haven't decided if they were a planned route or just the opposite diction that the RV in front of us turned. We all remember how much Jim likes following RV's. Speeds through the park were pretty tame with a few traffic slowdowns along the way. There was some wildlife to see and a bunch of people fishing, but in my opinion, nothing that exciting. Honestly, if you are on a National Park tour go to Yellowstone, otherwise we saw just as much in the surrounding areas. We may also be the first tourists in history to make it all the way though Yellowstone without taking a single picture. However, riding through Yellowstone and exiting at the NE gate is what set us up for a ride over the Beartooth pass. "

Man, if you took the route I think you took through Yellowstone, you couldnt have picked a worse experience......it would be like going to the Louvre and just hitting the bathroom.....OUCH!,
Here is a link http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/2-general-kawasaki-versys-discussions/93241-2-weeks-16-states-almost-6-000-miles-memories-galore.html to a ride report for the ride we took two weeks ago. Mitch, my Versys riding buddy, did a good job writing the report and posting it in installments on the Versys forum. He is a better writer than I am, but I did add some posts and pictures to the series. Some viewers had a Google map open on a screen next to the ride report which helps make more sense. There are even some references to our own Phil Tarman.

Here is the destination (West Coast) and the beginning of the trip. The Versys Forum has the parts in between.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Hey, Frosty, changing the subject, but how was Reno?
We had a great time until the Japanese attacked...luckily they didnt get any of our carriers.....and the French demo team was great....loved the flares.....

Space shuttle commander/pilot, test pilot, and all around hero "Hoot" Gibson flashes a smile before winning the 2015 Reno Air races in one of the most exciting and safe race weeks I have ever seen..old guys Rock!

Last edited:
Top Bottom