Riding with my dog? Need some ideas.

Bike
2010 NT700V
As much as my 25 pound Shetland Sheepdog loves running beside my bike, I would like to take him on a trip farther than his feet will take him. Has anyone taken man's best friend on a bike ride? Is there a safe way to do it on an NT?

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
There are numerous ways to carry your dog. A friend has a milk crate mounted on his bike that his dog sits in. He attaches his collar to keep him from getting out. Also my lady friend and I carry her dog in our riding jackets. He is a miniture austrailian shepherd and love to ride. We connect a harness around us, connect his collar to that and zip him up in coat. She also found a carrier for him as shown in one of the pictures. It has a place to attach his collar to keep him in the carrier. Most times he is more comfortable with either of us when he is in our jackets. Hope this helps.

DJ

Last edited:

elizilla

There's a woman on the Ural forum who got the Ural specifically so she and her bf could take their two (fairly large) dogs on their next trip. They left them with a dogsitter when they road to Ushaia and when they got back the dogs had been traumatized, so they are taking them with them when they go round the world.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've seen dogs in tank bags with holes cut in the top so they could stick their heads out; same with tail bags on the back seat. I've also seen a trunk with a hole in the top and a dog carrier attached to the pillion.

The happiest dogs I've seen were a St Bernard and a German Shepherd wearing doggles, riding in a sidecar attached to an Oldwing (GL1200).

The first two I mentioned were on BMWs, and also wearing doggles.

elizilla

If you had a miniature dachshund, it would fit in the pass through!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
LOL

A solution from the Guzzi forum. Build a platform and carrier behind you. The one that was built was about 18-24" wide and 30" long. Rear section was covered (like a covered wagon). Was made for a 40lb dog. A lot of thought on what would happen in a crash, especially a low side.

Sidecar and trailer are the traditional method for larger dogs.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
i saw a small dog on the tank of a sport bike once. owner had a piece of carpet there and i guess the little guy just dug his claws in to hang on. was a pretty funny sight.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I suspect you could attach a soft or hard carrier to the rear platform of the NT. I've even seen a parrot that would ride behind the windshield of the standard Valkyrie. He had a padded bar to stand on and grip. That bird was a hoot!!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The "Motorcycle Trike Pet Cruiser" is what I am considering adding a set of so both of our smaller dogs have a place to ride.

The carrier should mount where the top box goes on the NT if you don't have one or take it off for Fido's rides.... If you have a top box already you should be able to put a plate under it's base to mount one offset to the side...

Top Bottom