Riding with no helmet increases organ donation...

Bike
2010 NT700V
A full face helmet kept my TBI down to a blackout concussion, instead of much worse. It took a week for the fog to lift completely. I'm convinced I wouldn't be here if I wasn't wearing it.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
While I agree that’s it logical that you are more likely to die in an accident when not wearing a helmet the study is not a scientific study and is full of unsupported conclusions.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS & 3 XS650s

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
In the 80s-90s when so many states started to roll back their helmet laws because of pressure from rights groups, the states that did eliminate their helmet laws or made them conditional/age related saw a fairly significant increase in motorcycle accident deaths the following year. And this was with the total number of riders remaining essentially the same.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
Now, why on earth would anyone feel it necessary to study this question?

That is sort of like a headline that trumpets the revelation that: "New study finds that drinking alcohol results in intoxication"

Who knew?
It could also be: "New study finds that motorcycle riders are more likely to die in a wreck than car drivers"

While I would never personally ride without a helmet, a massive push for nationwide helmet laws by safety nannies would worry me. What's to stop them from demanding a helmet for your entire body (aka, an automobile)? The next step would be to declare motorcycles unsafe for highway use. There are no crumple zones to be added, no roll over protection.

Bike
2011 NT700V ABS
I once rode 100 miles without a helmet across South Dakota. I was much more comfortable when I put my helmet back on. I did no like the wind beating my hair & face

, For cold weather a full face helmet keeps your head warm. Of coarse the safety issue is the best reason to wear one.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Luckily I never had to test a helmet on a motorcycle. I did, however "Test" one in a race car. The helmet was destroyed. I have also destroyed three bicycle helmets. I am a firm believer in helmets, but the Libertarian in me does not think that government should legislate wearing of helmets as mandatory.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Nice story. I loved the part about the local Sheriff being pissed!

One thing many non-wearers say is "I'll put one on when I need it"....huh? In a similar vein, too many riders believe they can and will use the front brake in an emergency but otherwise they'll continue to just step on the rear brake pedal to stop!

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Nice story. I loved the part about the local Sheriff being pissed!

One thing many non-wearers say is "I'll put one on when I need it"....huh? In a similar vein, too many riders believe they can and will use the front brake in an emergency but otherwise they'll continue to just step on the rear brake pedal to stop!
I had to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Training Course nearly 30 years ago to get me drivers license. They affirmed that 70% of the bikes braking power comes from the front brake. They had each of do a run with only using the rear brake only and the using both brakes under the same circumstances. Using only the rear brake was more than double than using both brakes. People using only the rear brake are taking their lives in their own hands.

This was a significant shift what was being thought 30 years prior as it was believed the rear brake supplied the most braking power.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Iowa does not have a helmet requirement, except for under 18 or 16 or whatever. I got my first motorcycle in 1966 and my first car with a seatbelt in 1966.
I and my wife and our children have ALWAYS worn a helmet on bikes and a seatbelt in vehicles that have them. Our son, who lives 14oo miles away in a non helmet state, sent us a picture of himself and the first motorcycle ride with his new girl friend. They bought her a new helmet before the first ride. (As the twig is bent . . . .).
We still have a scooter, but our "ride" is now a Polaris Slingshot. It has seatbelts. We wear them. We ALWAYS wear our helmets. No need to get stupid just because we're old and foolish.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I always wonder how someone can ride with out a helmet and not get hit by rocks, etc. Many rides something bounces out my face shield, and with out that where would it of hit on my fat head.
I broke my ankle and 5 ribs, wearing good gear, not a scratch on me: helmet was replaced due to it had scrapes that would have been my ear. Helmets are not an option I believe. My brother does not wear a helmet, I don't know why.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
In March of '99, I bought my first new motorcycle, a Kawasaki Concours. I rode it home to Ft Morgan, about 80 miles, and the next day I had a meeting in south Denver, another meeting in Cheyenne, and then was going to Ft Collins so Joanne (then my fiancee) before returning home. The only helmet I had was an old Bell that a church member had given me. If the faceshield was closed, it fogged up almost instantly. As I rode into downtown Denver, saw a rock just before it hit me in the right lens of my glasses. The lens popped out and gave me a small cut and a larger bruise. I couldn't see out of my right eye with the correction provided by that lens, so I rode on to my meeting with one eye closed. I called my church from my meeting and a co-worker was able to go by my house and find my previous set of glasses, which had a slightly different prescription, and bring them to me before I had to leave for Cheyenne. The next day, I went back to Denver for the first maintenance check and Joanne met me there so we could both buy helmets. I've only been hit by one other rock (on my way between Haines Junction and Tok, AK), but I've been hit by hail and insects that were big enough to have taken out an eye. I'm always going to be wearing a helmet!

I've worn modular helmets since about 2004 and sometimes ride with them open, while drinking or eating. But in traffic or twisties, they stay down and locked.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
If you don't wish to wear a helmet, that's solely your choice. But, there should be zero cost to anyone else for the consequences of your choice.

Top Bottom