Right side hardware loose

Bike
2010 Red NT700
My brother noticed that the housing on the throttle side that houses the starter button and throttle cable ends has about 1/16"-1/8" of rotational slop in it. I never noticed before. Is that normal or do I have something loose?
How do I tighten that if it is loose?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It's not normal. I'd look at the backside of the right handlebar switch housing. I'm guessing that there are two bolts/screws you can get to there.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
My brother noticed that the housing on the throttle side that houses the starter button and throttle cable ends has about 1/16"-1/8" of rotational slop in it. I never noticed before. Is that normal or do I have something loose?
How do I tighten that if it is loose?
I believe what you are describing is THROTTLE FREEPLAY, normal is between 1/16" to 1/4" yours is within the normal range.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I understood you to be talking about "slop" in the starter/kill switch housing, not in the throttle. If it's the housing, movement is not normal.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
its the housing itself...I could only detect one screw on the bottom of the backside nearest me

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
There should be two screws that hold the housing. From what you said you need the front screw. Honda Part Number 93892-050445-07 or go to the nearest hardware store and get a 5x35 screw/washer. Metric of course and the screw and washer are together as one.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I found both screws but now I have to go buy a phillips that is short enough to get a straight shot at the screws without touching any painted surfaces

bicyclist

There's a hole on the underside of the handlebar on each side under the switch housings. A plastic tab inside the housing fits into the hole and positions the housing. That plastic tab may have broken off. On mine, I put a wrap or two of friction tape around the bar which is enough to keep the housing from moving when the two screws are tightened down.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
There's a hole on the underside of the handlebar on each side under the switch housings
Mine has always rotated slightly. That tab and hole in the bar keeps it from rotating any farther. It seems like a strange design to "pin the housing to the bar and not just clamp it tight like I have seen many times before.
Check the housing screws for tightness and if tight don't worry about it.

Brad

Top Bottom