Risers and the usual cable problems

Hi Everyone,

I have a new (2011) NT with ABS and I'm trying to install a bar riser and need to replace the cables and brake line with new, longer models. Looking through the posts here I have so far found that the clutch cable can be replaced with Honda P/N 22870-MAB-620 from a TransAlp for about $20, and the brake line can be made up by Moto-Heaven (http://www.moto-heaven.com/) for about $65. That leaves the throttle cables.

I believe the part numbers for the existing throttle cables are:

Cable A P/N 17910-MEW-921 and
Cable B P/N 17920-MEW-921

These numbers are for the 2010 ABS model, which was the latest data I could find . . . and are hopefully still correct. My original thought was that I could find a description of these cables somewhere, and then match these descriptions with other Honda throttle cables in the hope of finding something a couple of inches longer . . . but so far no luck. I hate to go the custom route because of the inflated price. I know this issue has been brought up before on this forum, but has anyone found a solution yet?

Bill

OP
OP
Well, I think using a set of throttle cables from a different Honda isn't going to work.

I spent some time last night looking at the throttle cables from a bunch of other Hondas, while keeping notes on their part numbers, and I think I noticed a pattern there. In all cases the first set of numbers, in our case 17910 for the "A" cable, is common for all the bikes I looked at. The second group of letters, MEW for us, is common for all the parts for the NT, so must be the "bike" designator. The third group, 921 for us, seems to indicate a specific "style," probably for the hardware at either end of the cables. I'm making this guess because I noticed the same "style" designation used across several bikes. For example, "000."

Based on this set of observations and guesses, I used the wildcard facility in Google search to search on "17910*921" hoping for an "A" cable for a different bike, and got back nothing but 17910-MEW-921, which is, of course, our original "A" cable. None of the drawings I looked at during the parts search seemed to match either.

So, I think I have to give up on this idea, but I sure wouldn't mind if someone explained where I went wrong!

Bill

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
My original thought was that I could find a description of these cables somewhere, and then match these descriptions with other Honda throttle cables in the hope of finding something a couple of inches longer . . . but so far no luck.
You're on the right track. CMSNL has some of the best description and deciphering information on Honda part numbers. I've searched many many days trying to find honda parts for restoration projects and the bad news is I haven't found a simple descriptive list of parts like you need. It is quite possibly that Honda made throttle cable that are a few inches longer and are terminated correctly, and all you need is the motorcycle model to order them.

Resources:

Search ebay for "honda throttle cables" and look at some of the pictures and descriptions. There are 8000 current ads, so you may want to add a year or model to narrow the search. Many give length and good pics of the terminations. You may find a model described in the ebay ad that you could order new from honda. Make some coffee (or choice of beverage) and get comfortable, this can take a while.

Some Honda Parts guys are very good, and may know that all throttle cable made by Honda from year X to Y in a several models all used the same termination type, therefore a longer set of cables is available from a certain model. That is an example and may not be true, and some parts guys are not resourceful at all. The good parts guys are difficult to find, but it may be worth trying to call a few of your local Honda Parts Departments.

Custom made. Honda may not have made anything that will work.

OP
OP
bicyclist
I read the sticky, and there's some good info there. The problem, I think, is the 2011 ABS models have VERY short cables and brake hose. With a "barback" riser (1" up, 1" back) all three cables and the hose are too short. I've carefully measured the brake hose, for example, and it's only 16.75" from the connection block mounted on the steering head to the center of the Banjo. I understand that the older models were 18".

dnktng, thank you very much for that link! I'm going to be all over it as soon as I post this reply.

loonytuna, I tried the Rox 2" risers first, and there was simply no way it would work with my existing cables. I saw your thread, and found it very useful . . . I just think Honda had a "better idea" for the 2011 model and the rules won't allow me to post what I really think about that. The polite version is that I think Honda is making business for their "stealers" . . . and this will be uppermost in my mind when next I buy a bike.

Bill

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I had custom throttle cables (2" longer) made by Motion Pro at a cost of around $80. They already have the standard
NT cables to use as a sample so I didn't need to send mine - one less hassle. There are several choices for the exterior look and I specified cables that look like the Honda cables. They fit and and work flawlessly.

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
Ditto on the custom cables from Motion Pro, they charged me $75.00 and they do nice work. I have the Rox 2" risers and it doesn't look like the brake line is too short, but I haven't completed the install yet.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...and some parts guys are not resourceful at all. The good parts guys are difficult to find, but it may be worth trying to call a few of your local Honda Parts Departments...]

A long time ago (eons!) when there were only a few models, it was possible for the parts dept to know firsthand what parts would interchange because they had all of them in stock at one time so could easily make a visual comparison. Business being what it is today, it is not feasible for any dealer to have one of every throttle cable, for example, in stock because 99% of it will become dead inventory. I feel you may be putting unrealistic expectations on the parts dept.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
And with express shipping you can have what you need overnight if you really want it. 2-3 days normally. Once a week if you're not in a hurry.

Most cities have local cable shops that can make what you want.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Honda Part number breakdown (xxxxx-xxx-xxx) is as follows:

The first five numbers indicate the function and a description.

The middle three letters/numbers are the model code so "MEW" appeared on every blueprint for a new NT part.
Parts for the NT that came from existing models will have a different code, such as the NT valve spring retainers carry an MN5 model code so they were originally designed/manufactured for the '88 GL1500. This doesn't mean they're using old, leftovers but making new something that is already a proven part from their system.

The last three digits are typically the finish and whether or not the part has been modified, such as 001 means the first mod from 000 which was the original. When they have a letter following the three digits it is usually a color designation such as for fairing parts.

Hardware (nuts, bolts), bearings and seals, etc., use a slightly different version of this same system and their P/Ns do not contain a code to a specific original model.

And since this question will surely come up, there is no listing within Honda that shows what fits what but is xx-inches longer.
s

Top Bottom