risers, need help

loonytuna

i bought a set of risers and tge clutch cable is to short, yet when i read at motorcycle larrys, it says no cables etc are required.

I like to hear first hand from those who have added risers.

Thanks!

Randy

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I have used two different sets of risers on the NT. The first set was a 1.2" straight rise which I later replaced with a set that has has a 1" rise along with a 1" back (toward rider). I did not need to replace cables with either set up. I did rotate the levers forward slightly after install, which helped slightly with cable length. I suppose there could be variations in clutch cable length during the production process, but I believe the overall consensus is that 1" risers have been fine for all who have installed and 1.2" risers are the maximum you can put on the NT without changing out cables and brake lines. You may also want to check to make sure your clutch cable isn't hung up on something along its path which would prevent you gaining slack.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Do you have a 2010 or 2011 NT? I wonder if they shortened the cables in 2011?

I used MCL's risers and rotated the bars back. Clutch cable plenty long. Brake line is stretched a little (had to remove the bolted bracket for it). I did snip most of the zip ties on the handle bar.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I had the same problem. The MCL risers took ALL of the clutch cable. There was a slight bind at the lever end. If there was slack to be had, I never found it. After a year and 18,000 miles the cable was badly frayed. Dealer caught it when I took the bike in for battery issue last week. We replaced the clutch cable with the cable from the Tans Alp. Part number is on here somewhere. The ends are the same but the cable is 2" longer. Cost was $23 plus install.

androu

Interesting. I've got a 2010 and just installed the MCL risers with no cable issues at all. Seemed like there was enough slack to just drop the bars back in and tighten everything down. Although I didn't notice anything stretched or binding, I'm going to check again just to be sure.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Do you have a 2010 or 2011 NT? I wonder if they shortened the cables in 2011?

I used MCL's risers and rotated the bars back. Clutch cable plenty long. Brake line is stretched a little (had to remove the bolted bracket for it). I did snip most of the zip ties on the handle bar.
I thought I was going to have to remove the brake line bracket. But the problem is the rubber sheath around the lower part of the brake line was stuck to the line. I little silicon spray and a hefty pull with a hemostat from below unstuck the sheath.

On mine the "zip ties" are not really zip ties. They can be removed, moved, and repositioned. Hondas are full of these things.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
i bought a set of risers and tge clutch cable is to short, yet when i read at motorcycle larrys, it says no cables etc are required. I like to hear first hand from those who have added risers.

There is a sleeve the clutch cable runs through that is secured to the steering head and you may need to move it some. IIRC, I pulled straight up on the clutch cable (before it starts to curve toward the clutch lever) and got an inch or so of extra length. I didn't have any trouble fitting MCL's risers after that.

OP
OP

loonytuna

The risers I got are 2", which is probably where the problem lies.

I have them on and am awaiting a cable, due here tomorrow.

The 2" Rox riser gives the flexibility to bring the bars not only up, but back as well.

The throttle cables are tight when turned hard to the right, but manageable, the brake line was fine once I removed the clamp.

You can see in the pictures , I stretched the cable and it still is not long enough. The risers are not "pretty" but the positioning is fantastic!

The bike is a 2010.

Attachments

OP
OP

loonytuna

Problem solved, thought I would share.

The clutch cable arrived today, Honda part number 22870-MAB-620, it was just long enough!

Piperouter

i bought a set of risers and tge clutch cable is to short, yet when i read at motorcycle larrys, it says no cables etc are required.

I like to hear first hand from those who have added risers.

Thanks!

Randy
No way the stock clutch cable works without putting it in a serious bind. Just installed the 2" longer one (Honda) today and life is good. The Rox risers really make the riding position more comfortable for a short armed guy like me but grip vibration is much reduced and that was my main goal.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If you got MCL's risers, they will work without the longer clutch cable. It runs through a guide and I think you can do some moving of that guide to keep it from being too tight a bend at the end of the cable adjuster on the handle-end of the cable.

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
I've been in touch with Motion Pro to make longer throttle cables for the NT700, I have the Rox risers. I would like to know how many of you would be interested in a group buy on longer cables and how much longer would you want to see them. I think 2" longer would be perfect. Hopefully, there are enough of you interested to make this worthwhile. Right now they want $35.00 each but I'm hoping they will come down with a group buy. Also if enough are interested I woul add in something like a buck or buck fifty for each of us to cover a set of sample cables to send them. Please pm me if your interested. I'll put together more details if it looks like this will work out.
Greg

Never mind, they don't do breaks for group pricing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom