Roadrunner review of Niken GT

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
They may be absolutely wonderful, but I can't stand the way they look. They would be better, IMNSHO, if you could lock the leaning mechanism when you come to stop.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It would be more appealing to me if it was stable enough so that you could keep your feet on the pegs at all times, even when stopped. Just what us olde fartz need!

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Well, even if that happens, for me there's a little issue with money. :)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
What you guys are looking for is a scooter version intended for commuters. They do have the locking feature. Yamaha and Piaggio make these and they are mostly sold in Europe where they are very popular with commuters. I believe Piaggio still sells the MP3 500 in the US. I think the Niken GT is more for the sporting crowd where being locked at a stop is not an attribute they are needing.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Warren wrote: "I believe Piaggio still sells the MP3 500 in the US. I think the Niken GT is more for the sporting crowd where being locked at a stop is not an attribute they are needing."

I saw a Piaggio MP3 500 at the dealership in Fort Collins when my buddy Larry and I went over there so he could look at the Moto Guzzi V-85. They had both the MP3 500 and the Niken. I think Warren is correct about the Niken being aimed at the sporting crowd. The tests I have read all talk about the amazing front end grip, either in wet or dry conditions. One tester had managed to low-side a Niken on track, but he said it was much less of a crash than what he would have had on a normal sport bike.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I applaud Yamaha for going out on a limb with the Niken GT. It's not my cup of tea but it may find a few, adventuresome buyers? Many years ago, Yamaha had a model called GTS1000 with a single arm front suspension and I thought it would really lead the way into something different in front ends that hadn't evolved from bicycle forks. Unfortunately it never caught on but it was great looking although a little bit porky.

The typical American motorcycle buyers can be extremely fickle - they often scream "we want something new" then when it comes out, say "I want it to look more like a normal motorcycle." :-(

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I applaud Yamaha for going out on a limb with the Niken GT. Many years ago, they had a model called GTS1000 (?) with a single arm from suspension and I thought it would really lead the way into something different that hadn't evolved from a bicycle but unfortunately it never caught on.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The GTS was pretty pricey, but the first time I saw one, I was really impressed with it. There was one at the 2nd stop on the Concours Owners Group National "Rolling Rally" in 2000. I was semi-interested in it, even though my '99 Connie was only a year old. But then I checked the price and that ended that. IIRC, one now inactive member of our NT-Owners Forum owned one. Rocky worked at Snowmass and lived above Ruedi Reservoir out of Basalt. We had the Pre-National Rally Rally at his place in 2012.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The GTS was supposed to replace the FJ1200. That was a big marketing mistake as the GTS performance was about the same as a good 750cc bike and no where near what the FJ had to offer. Add in over priced and you had a failure ready to happen.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It may not have been a big improvement on the first GTS but if it had succeeded, Yamaha could have continued to develop that idea, making it lighter and also cheaper to manufacture. Something so revolutionary can't be expected to be a world beater right out of the gate and it typically takes several versions before it can really shine. As an example, look at how long motorcycles had no rear suspension then the swingarm with dual shocks was introduced and only grudgingly accepted.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Looks pretty good. But, I couldn't afford it and it's probably too tall. :rolleyes:

I wonder if the panniers are with it?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Look closely at the passenger grab rails. There are two slots in them and I'm almost certain that the one I saw (it was back in 2000, so there's a pretty good chance I'm misremembering that) had factory panniers on it.

Bike
2010 red NT
I rode one for a couple of hours and loved it. I did not like the lack of steering lock .
The one I rode had the factory bags I would have got it but the boss said no. It was a very nice piece of kit.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Good for you on leaning the bike more severely once you realized the road was ending. Usually you read about guys running off the road at a curve and doing severe damage to themselves and the bike!

I typically try to practice leaning more and do it at legal speeds when I can see well through the curve. :)

Top Bottom