Roadsmart 4's installed today

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
In preparation for my ride next week to the AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days in Mansfield, OH, I just had a new set of Roadsmart 4's installed on Traveller. The front replaced a RS 3 with 21K miles and the rear replaced a RS 3 with 12K miles. There were a few K miles left on the rear before I was into the wear indicators so I'm guessing it would have made it to 15K. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform. The first RS I used was a 2 and it was made in France. That was when Dunlop MC tires was still under the Goodyear umbrella. When I switched to the RS 3, they were made in Thailand and were now owned by Sumitomo Rubber. The RS 4 is made in Japan, again as a subsidiary of Sumitomo.

Mike

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Installed Michelin Road 6 tyres on my bike today. Will try them out first chance I get. I got 12.000Mi out of my Road 4s.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got Pilot Road 4s on Horse and they don't have a bunch of miles on them yet -- just 6,352 -- since I bought the bike about two years ago. They still look brand close to new. I'd had a set of PR5s on Dudley and the rear was squared off after 10,430 miles. The PR4s before those had lasted 12,400. I'll be very interested in how the Road 6s work.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
MikeSim - I struggle to get more than 10k out of any rear tire so obviously our riding styles and habits differ greatly. :)

In the 80s-90s, there were two different factions of the Dunlop motorcycle tire division: 1 in Japan and 1 in NY state and the tires from Buffalo had a lot more problems.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
MikeSim - I struggle to get more than 10k out of any rear tire so obviously our riding styles and habits differ greatly. :)

In the 80s-90s, there were two different factions of the Dunlop motorcycle tire division: 1 in Japan and 1 in NY state and the tires from Buffalo had a lot more problems.
I'm a very conservative rider. Some would say I ride like an old man 👴 cause I am one 😁. My experience with Dunlop began with my Brit bikes. First a BSA Spitfire and then a Triumph Bonneville. Looking back I think the best part of the Brit bikes were the Dunlops. When I had my Hondas and Yammy I used Nitto and Bridgestone rubber. I never had a problem with any of the Japanese tires but truthfully none of the tires back then could hold a candle to what we have today. When I wore out the rubber on my CB750, I replaced them with Avons, which were very good performance wise but wore out rapidly. The OE Bridgestones on the NT wore out at 8K. I switched to the Dunlop Roadmarts and haven't looked back. In Sept at the fall rally you will see why my tires last so long 😆

Mike

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
you got the best tire for front at least. Dunlop RS4 is the best wearing front of 3 different ones I had on there. I got just over 21,000 miles, but I wear them past wear bars.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
you got the best tire for front at least. Dunlop RS4 is the best wearing front of 3 different ones I had on there. I got just over 21,000 miles, but I wear them past wear bars.
Shoot, you wear them past the rubber! :rofl1:

Seriously, have you tried Michelins of any sort?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
What bothers me most about worn tires is the howling caused by cupping along the edges and the limited traction when riding in the rain. To me, it's more important to fit a new tire rather than save a few bucks by making the old tire go further. The skin you save may be your own! ;)

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
What bothers me most about worn tires is the howling caused by cupping along the edges and the limited traction when riding in the rain. To me, it's more important to fit a new tire rather than save a few bucks by making the old tire go further. The skin you save may be your own! ;)
I'd agree, I found that cupping unnerving, like I was going to lose traction. The NT I had handled so well, especially with the Traxxion fork mods, the front tire got changed out whenever I felt it was no longer up to the task, irregardless of the wear bars. I was doing tire changes myself so it wasn't a big deal cost wise.

Did not want to experience that loss of skin, no sir. :well1:

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
With tires always better safe than sorry.
As far as cupping, not all mine cup enough to notice. My Kawasaki Concours 1000 did cup the front tire almost always. That bike had more weight up front than say an NT. I always attributed it to the Concours weight at least.

Arknt

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
yes, I have done it ALL........I have heard the howling from the air being trapped from cupping, mostly in a lean, and from the front one. I have ridden in light rain to heavy downpour, no traction problems at all, even past wear bars. these tires that are made now are excellent traction tires

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Rain traction is amazing considering how long they wear. I think a lot has to do with the silica in the recipe.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
All true stuff but I'll continue to start shopping for a new tire as the wear bars become visible. :)

Ron Hudson

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V..95PC800
In preparation for my ride next week to the AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days in Mansfield, OH, I just had a new set of Roadsmart 4's installed on Traveller. The front replaced a RS 3 with 21K miles and the rear replaced a RS 3 with 12K miles. There were a few K miles left on the rear before I was into the wear indicators so I'm guessing it would have made it to 15K. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform. The first RS I used was a 2 and it was made in France. That was when Dunlop MC tires was still under the Goodyear umbrella. When I switched to the RS 3, they were made in Thailand and were now owned by Sumitomo Rubber. The RS 4 is made in Japan, again as a subsidiary of Sumitomo.

Mike
Mike..Where did you purchase RS 4's ? Can not find Rear size only Front. Thanks Ron

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike..Where did you purchase RS 4's ? Can not find Rear size only Front. Thanks Ron
Ron, the RS4 is not available in the 150/70/17 for the NT. After careful measurement and calculation, I found that the 160/60/17 will work nicely. The speedo error is less than 2% at highway speed. This was verified by calculation and confirmed by GPS. A displayed 70mph is actually ~68mph. The handling does not seem to be affected by the slight change in dimensions. I ran into this before with the RS3's. When initially introduced, Dunlop did not offer the RS3 in 150/70/17, so I used a 160/70/17 after careful scrutiny. I logged many miles without a problem until the tire was worn out. When I went to purchase my next rear tire I found that Dunlop was now offering a 150/70/17 in the RS3 however it was specified for adventure bike use as it was not "Z" speed rated. Since I figgered that I was also not "Z" speed rated that it would work fine... and it did. Hope this info helps!

Mike

Ron Hudson

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V..95PC800
Ron, the RS4 is not available in the 150/70/17 for the NT. After careful measurement and calculation, I found that the 160/60/17 will work nicely. The speedo error is less than 2% at highway speed. This was verified by calculation and confirmed by GPS. A displayed 70mph is actually ~68mph. The handling does not seem to be affected by the slight change in dimensions. I ran into this before with the RS3's. When initially introduced, Dunlop did not offer the RS3 in 150/70/17, so I used a 160/70/17 after careful scrutiny. I logged many miles without a problem until the tire was worn out. When I went to purchase my next rear tire I found that Dunlop was now offering a 150/70/17 in the RS3 however it was specified for adventure bike use as it was not "Z" speed rated. Since I figgered that I was also not "Z" speed rated that it would work fine... and it did. Hope this info helps!

Mike
Appreciate the info... running the RS3 now and plan to go with 4's I like the look of wider tire, will be interesting change.. Had a similar issue with my PC800.. gota find what works. I'm not close to a "Z" speed rating.. prefer to enjoy the scenery. Thanks

(snip)After careful measurement and calculation, I found that the 160/60/17 will work nicely. The speedo error is less than 2% at highway speed. This was verified by calculation and confirmed by GPS. A displayed 70mph is actually ~68mph.(snip)
That would work almost perfect for my bike. Indicated 70 is actually 73mph. ......but I only have 350 miles on my new rear tire.

Cliff

Top Bottom