Roadsmart 4's installed today

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
With my PR4s, (150/70X17), my GPS and speedometer are within 1mph of each other. Over 1,000 miles the odometer varies from the GPS by slightly over 1 mile.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Just installed Roadsmart 6 Tyres. They really handle well. In fact they are almost as sticky as the Pirrellis I used on my Ninja. They are quite different from the 4s they replaced.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Bear - You can only make a valid comparison if the 4s were also brand new? When I mount new tires, my memory of how the old tires were when brand news is long gone from my memory...unless they were terrible tires from the start! ;)

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Just installed Roadsmart 6 Tyres. They really handle well. In fact they are almost as sticky as the Pirrellis I used on my Ninja. They are quite different from the 4s they replaced.
Are you sure you are talking about Dunlops? The Roadsmart 4 is their newest tire. There is no 6 yet unless I've missed something. I think you may be referring to Michelins.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The new Michelin is the Road 6; not a Pilot Road 2,3,4,5 like its prececessors.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Phil - As far as I know, the PR4 was the last one called Pilot Road and the next one was called "Road 5."

Bike
NT700va
Isn't everyone being a little hasty in judging a tire when just installed? The new sticky rubber on any new tire seems good at first.

R Foster

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Russ - That was the point I was trying to make earlier today. When you fit a new tire and it feels great, your condemnation of the old tire is of a worn unit with 8-10k miles! It's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. ;)

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
New tires always feel great to me compared to the old flattened and cupped tires that were on before. I've run Dunlops, Pirellis, Michleins, Contenentals, Metzlers, Bridgstones, and maybe some I can't remember right now. My evaluation is that premium line tires always feel like premium tires and the lower lines of tires don't regardless of the maker.

Ya gets what yous pays for. Buy good tires and enjoy them.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
When I first bought my NC700XD, it came fitted with either Metzelers. After they were in need of replacement, I bought a set of Shinko tires designed for 80% street/20% dirt. Iron Pony had them on sale and the package price for F & R was around $160 so I thought what the heck, I don't plan on riding distances so why not.

About 30-min into my first ride on these Shinkos, I knew they were terrible tires and ditched them after a few thousand miles. There are Shinkos that are OK but these weren't in that category!

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Russ - That was the point I was trying to make earlier today. When you fit a new tire and it feels great, your condemnation of the old tire is of a worn unit with 8-10k miles! It's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. ;)
We do that to justify in our minds the significant expense of new tires. Anyone who has been married for a while learns to justify toy expenses..... "but Hon, I will be safer....."
:rofl1:
Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
You most definitely gets what you pays for in regards to tires. Prior to owning the NT, I had a couple early 80's Honda and Suzuki bikes, and used Kenda and IRC tires on them, they seemed OK for a older, smaller, slower cruiser-style bike but not what I would buy for the NT.

The NT made me aware, quality tires were worth it. I've had great luck with Continentals, both on my (former) NT and my (current) Accord. They cost more initially but seem to last a really long time, and traction seems good right up until it's time to replace them.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I have been running the Dunlop Road Smart Fours on both my FJR and Big Versys for a couple of tire changes now. We don't get much rain so I don't need the Michelins rain protection. The Dunlop RS 4's have been just as good in handling as the Michelins, and they seem to be a more nutrel handling tire. Less expensive also. I seem to get around 8 to 9 K miles on any brand rear tire I try. Go figure.

PS. I also don't ride as aggressively or as fast as I use to. Note: I am now off of probation also.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
When I first bought my NC700XD, it came fitted with either Metzelers. After they were in need of replacement, I bought a set of Shinko tires designed for 80% street/20% dirt. Iron Pony had them on sale and the package price for F & R was around $160 so I thought what the heck, I don't plan on riding distances so why not.

About 30-min into my first ride on these Shinkos, I knew they were terrible tires and ditched them after a few thousand miles. There are Shinkos that are OK but these weren't in that category!
Were your Shinkos 705?. The front is a bit funny at first but after a couple of hundred miles it feels better. It wants to fall into the turns at first. Ran them for years on my V-Stroms. I have just switched to Michelin Anakie threes for my V-Strom as I don't do as much off the pavement with it anymore and they are a bit smoother than the Shinkio 705s.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Chuck - I can't remember the model but it might have been "705."

Top Bottom