ROK straps arrive

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Got my four ROK straps today. The are very high quality and work as advertised. I got four straps for about $50 with four more coming of somewhat smaller size (5/8 wide) for compression straps) and priced much less than these 1 inch wide ones.
If there are any drawbacks to these, it would be the price and the buckles dont need alot of pressure to release them. I would like to see stronger buckles with greater "sear notches" so that there is no chance that they would accidently release. There is no question that these are head and shoulders above the old style bunggies. Whether or not they are head and shoulders above the new generation of Joubert Bungies is less certain. The main advantgage of these over the REI straps is the fact that there is a one foot section that stretches, taking up any slack due to rain, etc.....but you pay for that advantage for sure.
My opinion is that these are a high quality packing option...absolutely get the 18 in to 60 inch long ones....

New generation Joubert bungies for reference.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
There's no doubt that ROK straps work well. I've never heard about the Joubert bungees you're talking about.

I'm equally impressed with the attachment and linking straps on the Dry-Spec Waterproof Packing System. I may not use my ROK straps now that I've got it.

I'm glad to hear that those straps are going to work for you!

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Will let you know what the thinner ROKs are like. I stumbled onto the Jouberts at Home Depot. There are two types. While the innards are steel,
there is a good rubber coating so nothing gets marred. I will try the ROKs here in a week or so on a short trip to the Cascades or Glacier and see how
they do....it will be good to see you at the rally!
chris

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I recently got a pair of bungee straps at Walmart. They have a flat strap that is adjustable with a nice large hook. They work really well.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The hook is the scary part, Warren. I've come close to losing an eye with the old-style bungie cord hook. What I like about the ROK straps and the straps on the Dry-Spec bag attachment system is the fact that they use loops instead of hooks. What do the hooks on your WalMart bungees look like?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The hook is the scary part, Warren. I've come close to losing an eye with the old-style bungie cord hook. What I like about the ROK straps and the straps on the Dry-Spec bag attachment system is the fact that they use loops instead of hooks. What do the hooks on your WalMart bungees look like?
They have a large plastic coated hook. They hook to the passenger hand hold pretty well. I am not suggesting that these are better than what you are using only that they are a new improved type of bungee but they still have the stretch benefit and hazards and they only cost about $10 for a set of two. What I like best is that they are flat rather than round and they are adjustable in length so one size can be adjusted to a lot of different lengths.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I will look for Warren's tomarrow....went strap shopping today...got the 2 ea 60 inch REI straps today for about $7 but you have to sew in the loops.
The buckles are first rate and wont come loose easily.
At a hardware store today I bought 4 such buckles and 20 ft of 1 in web for $12.

BTW, I think this is what Warren has....my Walmart wont carry these...Oreillys will for 5 bucks, sears for 10
http://hamptonproducts.com/product-details.php?ID=9366

OK, here is a pic of what I have so far.
Top is the old eye catching fishhook.....$1 apiece
Second is the ROK straps, $25 for two, nice but the buckle could have less of a hair trigger.
Three is the 60 in REI strap and buckle. $3.50 each but no loops sewn in. Good quality buckle.
Four is a roll of 1 in. webbing, 20 ft for $8 and a $1.00 buckle whose parts interchange with the REI buckle. From Ace Hardware.
6 is a 48 in flat bungie from home depot, two for $5
7 is a joubert bungie with rubber covered steel hooks. $10 for a big container full of different sizes....
8, 9, and 10 are black powder rifle Buffalo rounds. Sharps 45- 3 1/4", Sharps 45-2.4", and a Sharps 45- 2.1 (45-70)

I agree with Warren that the big platic coated steel hooks fit nicely in the compartments under the hand rail. They also fit through the holes in the Motech soft luggage adaptor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom