Roley Poley Raccoon

skiper

At the end of todays splendid ride a dopey raccoon ran under my front tire and continued running .. I was doing exactly 30 mph and the almighty NTv Deauville hopped right over him and continued as id nothing happened at all .. Are there any gallery members who would like to comment or share raccoon run-ins and the like - as it were .. :)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
No raccoon stories but I had a squirrel shot the gap between my front and rear tires. I was sure I ran over him but when I looked in my mirror he was still on the run and cleared the side of the road and up a tree he went. I was going about 30 in the city.

OP
OP

skiper

So far i got points for one woodchuck and one raccoon - sure glad it wasn't the pig i was talking to earlier in the ride .. it's a zoo out there - beware ,,

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I was nailed by a deer on my Concours a few years ago. Killed the deer, did about $2500 damage to the Connie, didn't hurt me. I didn't go down and once I got the deer poop off my saddle, the bike worked fine for the next 2500 miles before I got home.

OP
OP

skiper

Wow - what a terrifying story - no joke - glad You and the Connie got thru - i',m gonna stay clear of dem deer - thankyou very much ..

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Many years ago I used to often have to ride down a street where a bull terrier used to run out and chase me. In those days I rode a Honda XL250 (a rather lightweight bike compared to the NT700V).

I was never worried but one day he mis-timed his run and I ran right over him.

I looked back to see him whimpering off back to where he lived so I concluded he was in not too bad a condition.

He never did chase me after that though :rolleyes:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Shortly after I got Traveller, I ran over a possum hell bent on suicide. I just knew I was gonna go down, but to my amazement, it was a non-event. Just a whump-whump and it was over.... dunno if the possum survived...

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Well, not on a motorcycle, but in one year I hit a total of 3 dogs while on my bicycle. They all lived and so did I. (No I wasn't aiming for them)

elizilla

People who can't keep their dogs from chasing passersby on the road, deserve to lose 'em. I'm sorry but I have been chased by way too many dogs, on bicycles, motorcycles, and even in cars. There's just no excuse for it.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Just the suicidal doe lsdt year that ate up the front fender on NT. about two weeks ago I was out on the crf250 and on a brushy gravel road I had another doe come out in front odf me , I was only running about 10 MPH , she pranced along the road trying to coax me into a encounter . I touched the horn and away she went back into the brush.. I have killed deer with big truck on several occasions, and a cyote with car, also got forced to hit a dead skunk on a 3 lane section of highway, I got it with the right side steering axle and it splattered a old hippie VW van that had the windows open. last I saw of it was as it was pulling over to the shoulder and most of them bailing out. I was about 15 miles from my terminal and I headed there and ran through the truck wash 4 times to remove some of the stench before going after my second load of hot road oil. As I past the spot of the skunk incident the van was long gone.

Eldon

OP
OP

skiper

You guys are too funny -- well , it's not a funny matter actually. but i can't help but wonder if the poop on Phil's seat was really from the deer .. my bike did quite a hop as the front wheel got a little crossed and the tail end jumped back in line - he was a big round one for sure.. live and learn "" ""

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Skiper, the poop on the side of the saddle was absolutely from the deer. The poop in my shorts was another matter entirely. The deer nailed me in the front fender, broke the mid fairing on the Connie, wrapped around my leg, broke the right "antler" (a cast bracket that the pannier attaches to), busted the pannier off the broken bracket, and my headlight went out.

I had seen the deer standing off the road and slowed down to about 45-50 and was almost past her when she decided she had to be on the other side of the road and attacked me. It was very nearly dark and when she hit me and the headlight went out, I couldn't see the road. But I had seen a parking area on my left and headed for that. When I stopped, the parking area sloped too much to the left for me to be able to put my kickstand down. I was just sitting there when my riding buddy ran up and told me to stay put. He had picked up the pannier and put it down beside me while he ran back to pull the deer out of the road.

By the time he got to me a pickup had stopped and the driver had thrown the deer into his truck and taken off. Steve got my pannier back on the bike and told me to follow him. I did and he ran at about 35 back to our lodging about 10 miles away. We looked at the bike and saw the cracked plastic and went to bed. It wasn't till the next morning that we noticed all the deer poop on the saddle. I'm here to tell you that deer poop attaches itself to the very molecular structure of Russell saddles if you let it dry overnight. It took over an hour and two or three buckets of warm, soapy water to get the saddle cleaned up.

We drove 60 miles to a NAPA store that had the headlight bulb I needed only to find out that the one on the bike was fine -- it had just come unplugged.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I'm certainly not a fan of dogs that chase. Hit one on a bicycle several years ago that took out my front wheel. I was not really hurt but I had road rash on nearlly every joint on my left side. The dog was OK but didn't like it either.

I hit a chicken once with 650 Yamaha. The header looked like egg yoke all over it. The heat of the header cooked it on pretty good. The chicken did not fair very well.

Brad

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Yep those domsticatd rabit get some pretty goo size to them, speaking of things NOT to hit when on a bike are porky-pines" during the BUTT Lite LD rally a rider that came into Spokane in 2000 nailed a Porky during the nigh, His foot looked like a full pin cushion covred with quills. Fortunatly he had a very good pair of thick leather boots on that kept the quills from reaching his foot area. He ws vry sore as those of us who have had foot / ankle encounters can attest too, but he was able to continue his ride afte purchasing a new pair of BOOTS !

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
Hmmm...never tagged a raccoon, have come WAY too close to collecting a few deer...but the most terrifying moment came when I managed a quick swerve and missed a skunk by about 4 inches while on my Aspencade.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Capture.JPG

Raven and Deer with NT. I should put the pic on the windshield as a reminder to "watch for these."

Raven is the hawk-sized version of a crow. Makes a huge feather cloud. Doe, a deer, a female deer (sing along).

Top Bottom