Rotella T6 5-40 Full Syn (initial review)

All you need to do is use oil that meets or exceeds the minimum requirements as stated by Honda... Rotella does, so do many others. You want to avoid any oil that has 'energy conserving' in the diagram at the back of the container as that is not good for wet clutches.

At that point, just pay as much as you want and pic the one that YOU feel will work for you.

We who have older bikes also have to avoid the energy saving stuff as valve trains tend to "eat" themselves.

So, I'd rather not have the extreme pressure additives for the bike then, even if the stuff is cheaper. I will use it in my truck. I have the added problem of an air cooled engine. Am already running non-spec oil since Guzzi recommends 10-60, and that is rare stuff. I end up using the V-Twin oil. I'd rather pay the extra for the extreme temp swings I get with the air cooling.

GN4 is pure dinosaur juice while HP4 is a combination of mineral & synthetic. I got a deal on a few cases of GN4 so have been happy with it. Yes, other oils may work "better" but I'm not changing until it's all gone.

Most of the oil brands are "jobbed out" to a refiner. Perhaps Mobil 1 and Shell Rotella are the only ones made in-house, not that makes them any better than some others. As Mellow said, just buy the one that make you happy. :wink:

Last edited:
Does anyone use Valvoline 4 Stroke 10W-40 Full Synthetic? It's a bit expensive, but I have had good luck with other Valvoline products for years.
John

Back
Top Bottom