Rotopax alternative

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Hey Bob - I thought of you when I saw these. I recall you saying that for Raddisson you would need some extra fuel capacity but figuring out where to mount a rotopax on the NT would be difficult.

I happened to see this on the ADV Rider forums - it's a mount that uses the passenger footrest. I like this idea since it keeps the weight lower, on a place that is meant to hold weight.

Looks like it would get in the way if you needed to paddle/walk the bike but probably fine if you're not off-raiding.

Another option anyway (if you haven't grabbed a rotopax already)

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-114-pegpacker.aspx

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
assuming your topbox is plastic - does the backplate seem large enough to distribute the force well enough? my concern was it might eventually wear down the plastic and cause a tear. most pictures i see have them mounted to aluminum panniers or laying flat on a toprack with other stuff piled on top.

my panniers and topcase are plastic too, so i was thinking the back of panniers or front of topcase were my only options if i were to get one - but of course am worried about the structural stress on the plastic.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm thinking under my Dry-Spec Bags on the pillion.

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
rotopax does appear to be a favored method for this sort of thing so i would like to assume they do not leak regardless of their orientation. i do like their design in the sense that they can be bolted down with the roto clamps, or easily strapped down with the pass-through's and handle. and since they're flat and symmetrical, they look easy to pack alongside other equipment (on the pillion under your bags, or vertically between the top case and dry bags). actually, strapped to the dry bags and sitting between them and the top case might work well - if you don't want to mount it to the top case like Bob might do. doesn't look like it wold push the dry bags too far forward but i guess you'd have to get one in hand and play around with it to know for sure.

i've seen the bottles you mention on twisted throttle - that can be mounted to the bike, or placed in a tube that is mounted to the bike. those look like they could easily be mounted to the front or back of squared panniers (ie not the NT) but the capacity is lower.

the rotopax looks like it could easily live on the bottom of the givi e55 maxia as well, although that would probably prevent it from holding your helmet. or possibly in the pannier if you could spare the room (also unlikely).

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm thinking laying flat between the grabrails under the Dry-Spec bags.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
You guys are thinking of doing the Haul Road as part of your "Epic Trip"?
"Thinking" is the word, Jerry. We'd both really like to make it to the Arctic Circle. And if there's a good weather window, we might make a break for Prudhoe Bay. By the time we get to Fairbanks, we'll have a better idea about what kinds of weather we can handle. But we're thinking about it.

I've been reading lots of Alaska trip reports in different places and bikes much less suited to the Haul Road than the NT have made it. Of course, they may have had better riders than my NT will have.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Thinking about mounting options it shouldn't be too hard to make a bracket to go under the top box mounts and then mount the Rotopax L-Bracket on either side of the top box. They even sell a nice kit with everything you need...:D The only disadvantage is you are adding more weight on the tail and fairly high up which isn't a good thing...especially for dirt tracking an NT! But the idea having a gallon of gas almost under my :butt1: :eek1: isn't a good thing either, I sat on enough fuel tanks driving military Jeeps...made me really glad I didn't smoke...:nuke1:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
That's exactly what I'm planning to do. Thanks for the picture.

bicyclist

Rick, yes, that is the one gallon size. I had no issues crossing the border several times with the Rotopax and lots of other people have crossed with the Rotopax and MSR bottles. Not an issue. The adventure types like to mount MSR bottles in bicycle water bottle cages on their panniers. It lets them carry extra fuel and use the bottles with their stoves.

Top Bottom