Rowe Electronics PDM60

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Has anyone heard of/had any experience with this device? Seems like a technological advancement over a fuzeblock.
A guy at Whitehorse Gear mentioned it to me and then sent me some further information. He's trying to get a demo unit to see if it's something they might carry. Sounds like a pretty nifty electrical farkle.

Product Website:
http://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules

A BMWMOA review:
http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/RoweElectronics/PDM60-BMWMOA Review1.pdf

[video=youtube;3UES2kHp9so]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UES2kHp9so[/video]

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The only issue I have with it, besides the Harley Davidson pricing :eek1: ;), is all the circuits cut off after a maximum of 180 seconds. I prefer to leave some farkles, like my 12V power points, active all the time...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
In some ways it sounds too much like BMW's infamous Can-Bus system which has proved to many riders that it has a mind of its own. And having to take something back to a dealer to have it reprogrammed?

I'm still using a stone-age accessory fuse block + 2 relays at a total cost of maybe $30. I only run one hot wire up front then branch from there as the amp total for my accessories is more than enough for a 12 ga wire. I used something similar on my last bike for 100k miles and never had a bit of trouble. The only reason I have two relays is that one powers my Fiamm horns.

Sometimes, "modern" is not always better especially if you can't figure out what went amiss while alongside the road in the middle of nowhere.

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Tall the circuits cut off after a maximum of 180 seconds.
ooh i missed that part - i figured it was all software-configurable. i think i may have just lost interest :p i like the idea of not having to worry about fuses, but keeping spares of those isn't exactly difficult. and $150 is definitely a lot more than my $90 fuzeblock that i already have!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yeah, you can buy a lot of fuses for the difference in price plus throw in a couple of nice dinners at a 4-star restaurant. :)

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
ok i read a pdf they had - each circuit is configurable for whether delayed on or delayed off are activated or not. if they are activated, you can change the timeouts. but it CAN be deactivated so a circuit can remain "always on."

if this software "dashboard" they referred to came with the product and worked on a regular pc i'd maybe be more inclined, but it sounds like it might be a dealer-only thing. not really sure.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
ok i read a pdf they had - each circuit is configurable for whether delayed on or delayed off are activated or not. if they are activated, you can change the timeouts. but it CAN be deactivated so a circuit can remain "always on."
Hmm, according to their Installation and Operations Guide:

"Lastly, two of the circuits, one high amp and one low amp, have an automatic 180 second delayed time-out feature programmed in. These are Circuit #2 (PURPLE?5A) and circuit #6 (ORANGE?15A). When the PDM60 is powered down, these two circuits will stay live for an additional 180 seconds, and then will automatically power down.
This is useful for GPS systems, communications equipment, etc."

That what their chart in the document shows as well...:shrug2: I think I'll just keep it simple with "old school" fuses...:D

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
i think that is the default setting, but it can be programmed otherwise. this is from their "programming basics" pdf:
however, leaving a circuit "live" seems to also leave a small, continuous draw - so that's not much use.
(p.s. i think i'll stay old school as well, was just curious of people's opinions on such a device!)

PDM60 units are fully programmable. Stock units are shipped in the stock configuration. The programming feature allows for custom, user defined
operational behavior. Custom configurations can be loaded into the PDM60 units via our dashboard programming software, and is available through
most PDM60 dealers. The units can be reconfigured at any time to meet changing needs, requirements, or desires.
A few very simple parameters are used to configure the PDM60.
1) Select a Circuit Behavior Mode for each circuit
2) Set the current limit for each circuit (max 15A on circuits 1-5, max 20A on circuit #6)
3) Set the time parameters for delayed startup, and delayed deactivation. (if you have selected delayed on/off features)
1) Circuit Behavior Mode (assign one mode for each of the six PDM60 circuits)
The circuit mode is the basic parameter used to set how each circuit operates; when and how a circuit it turns on or off. The eight available options
are shown below.
INACTIVE Deactivated ? Temporarily Disabled ? Not Used
ALWAYS LIVE - Active ? Always On ? Constant Power (power is briefly interrupted on ignition trigger) *** WARNING *** (USING THIS
CONFIGURATION WILL RESULT IN A CONSTANT PARASITIC CURRENT DRAW OF 50mA ? IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR
MOTORCYCLE, OR UTILITY BATTERIES WITH LESS THAN A 10Ah RATING ? THIS CONFIGRATION IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR
VEHICLES THAT ARE USED INFREQUENTLY, OR IN STORAGE FOR PERIODS EXCEEDING 6 DAYS (WITHOUT A CHARGING
SYSTEM/BATTERY TENDER BEING CONNECTED) The 50mA current draw equates to a battery usage of roughly 1.2 amps per
day ? Divide your vehicle battery Amp Hour rating by 1.5 ? The resulting number is the number of days you will have before
your battery is reduced to a discharged state. (i.e 10Ah battery - 10/1.5=6 ? days until a discharged condition in present)

IGNITION TRIGGER - Ignition trigger activation / deactivation (gray wire to/from + voltage)
IGNITION TRIGGER - Ignition trigger activation / deactivation (gray wire to/from + voltage) WITH TIME DELAY OFF
AUX TRIGGER ? Aux trigger activation / deactivation (Blue wire to/from any ground connection)
IGN OR AUX TRIGGER - Ignition trigger (gray wire to + voltage) OR AUX trigger (Blue wire to ground) activation
IGN OR AUX TRIGGER - Ignition trigger (gray wire to + voltage) OR AUX trigger (Blue wire to ground) activation WITH TIME DELAY OFF
IGNITION AND AUX TRIGGER ? Both the Ignition Trigger (gray wire to/from + voltage) AND AUX trigger (Blue wire to/from ground) activation
2) Current Limit ? Circuit Capacity (set for each circuit)
A current limit is assigned to each of the six circuits. This sets the maximum current allowed to flow through the circuit. Electrically
exceeding this setting will cause the circuit to automatically interrupt, protecting your accessory, and more importantly, your vehicle. The limit
can be set (in .25A increments) from 1A up to 15A on circuits 1-5, and 1A-20A on circuit #6. (max total of 60Amps) See the specifications on
your accessory to determine the best setting for the circuit through which you are powering it. To allow for slight variances, it?s typically
advisable to set the current limit with a slight margin (25-30%) above the standard current draw of any accessory. This is only a guideline
recommendation, and you should always check with the manufacturer of your accessory to determine the best setting.
3) "Delay On" and "Delay Off" Settings
Both of these settings are shown in ?seconds?.
Delay On - This setting will apply to all circuits. The feature allows for all of the available power on your vehicle to be directed at starting, prior
to powering your accessories. After an initial startup trigger signal is received, the PDM60 unit will wait this period of time before fully activating
and powering accessories. This delay can be set at ?0? (no delay), 7, 14, or 21 seconds.
Delay Off - This setting applies to all circuits configured with a ?time delayed off? setting. The maximum available delay is 600 seconds. (10
minutes) When the triggering signal for a circuit is no longer present (as in a key-off scenario), the circuit will remain live for the specified
period of time. This feature is useful for communications equipment, GPS, and a variety of other electronics. Once the set period of time is
exhausted, the circuit will automatically turn off.
The information above should provide you with a solid understanding of the programming features available on the PDM60.
We?ve designed the unit to be versatile, user friendly, and most importantly, highly dependable. It?s simple to program, simple to install.

bicyclist

My question would be: what problem does this solve that a simple relay/fuse block couldn't for a lot less money. Because I take long rides, I would also be concerned about field repair. Fuses and 12v relays are readily available, cheap and easy to swap.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
The technical capabilities built into such a small volume look kind of neat, but it seems to me to be a solution looking for a problem.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Both the Bicyclist and JohnC hit it on the head. The world of commerce goes round-and-round because of improvements, some are truly needed while others are not.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
This one seems to be something about as needed as the key fob on the Kawasaki C-14.

Top Bottom