Rubbing It In, Part Deuce

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
OK. I confess. I took a nap yesterday afternoon instead of riding, but I tried to make up for it today. I left Steamboat at 1:00 and rode west on US-40 to Twentymile Road (CR-27) just east of the Yampa Valley Regional Airport. There were big additions going on at the power plant close to the airport. There are several powerplants between Steamboat and the area around Craig. There's lots of coal mining, open pit and underground, and I'm guessing it's cheaper to push electricity down power lines than it is to haul it on trains.

CR-27 is a beautiful road, fresh-paved with freshly-painted lines. In the first 12 or so miles before it gets to the Peabody Energy Company's Twenty-Mile Mine, there are even passing zones. It's a genuinely high-class county road. One gets the feeling that Mr. Peabody demanded some considerations for the huge corporate taxes they're paying. A friend of mine got a tour of the mine several years ago. He knew a guy who was an engineer at the mine and got the tour through him. He said it was about the strangest thing he'd ever done. They were in a Toyota Tacoma pickup and just drove into the mine and proceeded to drive down a straight, steep, sloping road in total darkness for over a mile. His buddy told Bill that they were nearly a mile underground. When they got to the area where the mining was going on, there was plenty of light and lots of big equipment. The coal was lifted to the surface on some kind of conveyer (which you can see in the picture I'm posting here).

Past the mine, the road continued winding its way to the southwest and the little town of Oak Creek. Five miles south of Oak Creek is Phippsburg, a Union Pacific division point which doesn't seem as busy as it once did. Maybe because they're using the coal to generate electricity close to the mines instead of moving the coal to distant power plants?

There are interesting geological formations between Phippsburg and Yampa, the next town south on CO-131. I'm guessing that they're volcanic cores but maybe someone on the list will know more than I do.

Elk hunters were everywhere. I stopped for a cuppa' in Yampa and saw about 30 hunters...one had a about a 4-point bull, but he was the only one who had gotten an elk out of that bunch.

South of Yampa about 10 miles, I turned east on CO-134 heading towards Gore Pass and to US-40 north of Kremmling. More great road, but there were hunters pulling camping trailers and vehicle trailers cluttering up the road. Gore Pass was about 9400' ASL, a couple of thousand feet higher than Toponas where I got on to 134.

I stuck with US-40 through Kremmling, Hot Sulphur Springs, and then turned onto my "home" highway, US-34, where it begins about a mile west of downtown Granby. Riding past Lake Granby, you can see the Indian Peaks to the east and the southern part of the mountains that are enshrined in Rocky Mountain National Park.

There was no ranger at the entrance to the Park so I didn't get to gloat about my National Parks Pass. But I also didn't have any cars going my way until I got east of the Alpine Visitor's Center up near the top of the Park, so I gloated about that. I think I've mentioned that the speed limit in the Park used to be 45mph, but in the twistier and higher-altitude sections, it's been reduced to 35mph now. Oddly enough, I like the change. I ride at about 37-40mph when there's no traffic and that's fast enough. It seems to me as if there's less congestion since the speed limit was lowered. I did get behind two cars on my way through the Park who were driving 3-5mph under the limit. I just stayed patient until I got to one of the short (and rare) passing zones. The last few miles in the Park were really congested by the crowds who had come to watch the elk during breeding season. With my earplugs and helmet on, I wasn't able to hear any of the bulls bugling. if you've never heard an elk bugle, I'm sure you can google it and hear the sound. It's a very high-pitched warbling sound that ends with a deeper grunting noise. Lots of testosterone in those big guys. They manage to keep a harem of up to 20-40 cows and usually don't have to get physical with the younger, smaller bulls who hang around on the edges of the herd. Just as I got to the east gate, traffic stopped and I could see cows on the road. They were coming out of a thicket on the left side of the road and I finally saw the big bull who was moving them. He was a seven-pointer (that means seven points on each antler, BTW). Just a little further along, there were probably 20 young bulls. Most of them were "spikes" -- one straight antler with no branches (and extra points) that would be between one and two feet high. There were a couple of two- and three-pointers who will be making their moves to oust the big bulls in another couple of years.

From Estes, traffic down Big Thompson Canyon moved right along tonight. Usually there's someone traveling 30mph who doesn't think that they're the "Slow Traffic" that is told to use the turnouts to let backed-up vehicles go around them.

I got home at 6:30, five minutes after sunset, after a really nice 232-mile ride with more than a quarter tank of gas left in the tank.

I sometimes think of riding twisties and sweepers as akin to dancing. I'm not a very good dancer, and there are days when I'm not very good at dancing with the turns. When I was on Twentymile Road, I wasn't very fluid or smooth-feeling, so I just slowed down and enjoyed a very moderate pace. But about halfway up Gore Pass, I got into the "zone," and the dance began. It continued to be very fluid and smooth all the way through the Park and then even better down Big Thompson Canyon. It's a very rewarding feeling when it comes. Good old FalconAF (who is remembered fondly by those of us who have been on the Forum for years) helped me recover the rhythm when we were riding between Ligget and Fort Bragg, CA, back when I was doing my Epic Ride. He could tell that I was struggling and suggested that I might be trying to watch the road right in front of me instead of looking through the turn. I've figured out that looking farther ahead when I'm riding curves helps smooth me out and "dance" more gracefully.

Pictures L to R: 1) The Yampa river had made US-40 a nice ride between Steamboat Springs and Craig, CO. 2) Twentymile Road paved very well and heading for: 3) Mr. Peabody's Coal Mine, which (according to my friend) is more interesting looking under ground than aboveground; 4) Twentymile between the mine and Oak Creek; 5) Phippsburg, between Oak Creek and Yampa with the (presumably) lava extrusions visible in the distance.

More pix in the next post.

Attachments

• PA150574.jpg
    PA150574.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 26
  • PA150576.jpg
    PA150576.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 23
  • PA150580.jpg
    PA150580.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 22
  • PA150587.jpg
    PA150587.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 23
  • PA150590.jpg
    PA150590.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
More pictures: 1) volcanic extrusions north of Yampa; 2) Finger Rock south of Yampa; 3) on the way down from Gore Pass; 4) the canyon west of Hot Sulphur Springs...the UP runs a track through this and it would have been a fun ride back in the days of passenger traffic on this line; 5) riding north along the baby Colorado River as it begins its journey to the southwest and the Grand Canyon. The mountains visible here are not in RMNP and hunter access to the National Forest land is available off to the west side of US-34.

Attachments

• PA150596.jpg
    PA150596.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 25
  • PA150598.jpg
    PA150598.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 21
  • PA150611.jpg
    PA150611.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 22
  • PA150616.jpg
    PA150616.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 19
  • PA150630.jpg
    PA150630.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
And more pictures: #1 should be #3.

The real #1 is in slot #2: Mountains north of Trail Ridge Road, just to the left of the bare white tree trunk you can see where a natural rock dam broke about 20 or 30 years ago and swept down the valley, devastating Estes Park's downtown shopping area.

Slot # 3: A view of the east end edge of Forest Canyon, one of my favorite sights from Trail Ridge Road. The mountain in the upper right of the picture is Long's Peak, one of the most-frequently climbed Fourteener in the state.

Slot # 1: Traffic stopped because of the cows casually crossing the road.

Slot # 4: Not a very sharp picture, but this is a bunch of the young bulls who decided to run. I think they were the only ones who were even aware of the car traffic.

Slot # 5: Again, the greatest interest in this picture isn't clearly visible, but if you look between the camera on the left side of picture and the warning sign to the right of it, the second elk back from the road is the bull whose harem was blocking the road.

Attachments

• PA150632.jpg
    PA150632.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 23
  • PA150634.jpg
    PA150634.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 23
  • PA150638.jpg
    PA150638.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 23
  • PA150642.jpg
    PA150642.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 23
  • PA150640.jpg
    PA150640.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Great timing for a mountain ride! Unfortunately, snow is forecast this weekend in the Southwestern Colorado San Juan mountains and there may not be too many more 'til spring.

I've figured out that looking farther ahead when I'm riding curves helps smooth me out and "dance" more gracefully.

I think we all know that, but we just don't always do it. I believe that fatigue and tension contribute to lousy corning too. Most of us have times when we are "at one" with the bike and can ride well and in another moment we just can't get the balance between gravity and centrifugal force.

The best one line of advice I got for cornering was " Lead with your Chin" It really works, as it causes your head and eyes to be up and looking out where you want to go. To get in the habit, exaggerate the movement.

Back
Top Bottom