running on empty?

The most I have been able to put it in the tank was 4.65 gallons, and that time I had only ridden 158 miles (all in the city). That is, 34 mpg. What am I doing wrong here? I see that most riders are getting much better fuel economy numbers.

S0mething is very wrong. The absolute worst mileage I ever got was 49mpg. THe best was in the low 60's.

Shift out of 3rd and into 5th.:rolleyes:;). Need more details to diagnose. Was it city riding or high speed into a head wind. I got 180 miles out of a tank once, but I was running at 75 to 80 into a western head wind. Did not know if I was going to make the gas station or not.

Don't panic yet. I've gotten in the low 40s a lot when running on the freeways at 80+ or in high winds. I don't think I've gotten mileage quite that bad except once when I was riding at 80-82 into a very strong 35-45mph headwind. How cold was it? Were you sitting stopped with the bike running during that time. Were you shutting it down and letting it cool off during that 158 mile? All of those things would contribute to much lower than usual mileage.

Sometimes I'll have a week or two at a time when I don't get out of town. During those times, I probably won't ride much farther than 1-2 miles at a time. And then I'm getting terrible mileage, which for me usually means 38-42 and some little dab of that will be out on the freeway at 80+.

Take a trip and run at 65-70 mph and I'll bet you'll be getting 44-48. If you'r below 65 most of the time, that's when you'll start getting those incredible mileage figures that vzshadow is talking about.

Motero - could you be dragging your rear brake without noticing ? I recently found myself with a heavy shifting foot - on the downshifting cycle i was gettin g stuck in limbo between gears. Just figured it , I 'm staying on it too heavy and need to let clutch grab- then can continue downshifting. When I lift my toes higher the problwm goes away. Maybe you got a heavy brake foot.

Riding style has much to do with mileage also. You (Motero) said you riding was "all in the city" but is it mostly freeway or surface streets or a combination? My commute is 26 miles (each way) and 80% freeway. I rarely exceed 70. I also tend to accelerate gently from most stops. My commute mileage is generally 48 or so.

I do the same procedure with my bikes as I do with my cars. That is when I get down around half a tank indicated, I start looking for a gas station.
On the NT that would be at 125 to 150 miles. I am ready to stretch the legs and make a pit stop by then anyway.
Personal preference.

34 MPG rates as being on a par with the worst mileage I have ever seen on any bike for which I have credible data. And the only time I've seen it get anywhere close were:

GL1000 with carbs WAY out of synch. Normal mileage 40 MPG. Best was 50, when cruising slowly.
GL1000 with battery water boiled off by high temperatures and the badly implemented voltage regulator.
ST1300 with failed-open thermostats. Happened to both of the 1300's I had. Normal mileage 40-43. Best 50. Changing thermostats fixed it both times.

How is your temperature gauge indicating? Should generally be at or above the first mark above the bottom. That is, 1/4+ scale from the bottom.

The most I have been able to put it in the tank was 4.65 gallons, and that time I had only ridden 158 miles (all in the city). That is, 34 mpg. What am I doing wrong here? I see that most riders are getting much better fuel economy numbers.

I am not sure what is wrong. I ride in the city on surface streets in stop and go traffic and I get 48mpg pretty consistantly.

That leaves you with a pretty narrow window -- what if you don't find a gas station at 220 miles? Will you fill up at 219 or 221 miles?

:)

I was thinking the same thing, but I wasn't rude enough to bring it up! ;-)

That depends on how much stop-n-go there is, and speed.
I find my rural easy rides with some stops provide the best mileage, slow city trips the worst and highway speeds (> 70mph) to be in the middle.
If I ride 80mph or above, the mileage suffers as much as riding in a conjested city.

I get about 35-40 MPG in the city also, but I'm pretty sure the problem is not my NT. I have a 3.5 mile commute all in the city to work, and I have a tendency to 'romp on the throttle' more often than not. I get my best mileage on the highway, a ride from ABQ to my 'retirement villa' in Mountainair, NM is about 80 miles of freeway and 2-lane, and I often average in the high 50's and in the low 60's when I'm not in a hurry.

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank From NM

I get about 35-40 MPG in the city also, but I'm pretty sure the problem is not my NT. I have a 3.5 mile commute all in the city to work, and I have a tendency to 'romp on the throttle' more often than not. I get my best mileage on the highway, a ride from ABQ to my 'retirement villa' in Mountainair, NM is about 80 miles of freeway and 2-lane, and I often average in the high 50's and in the low 60's when I'm not in a hurry.

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank From NM

Fuel gauge? NT got one? I almost never look at gauge, I do have my Garmin in front of it but that not the reason. I set trip each fill in the neighborhood of 200, goes back to my 84 BMW habit of watching mileage. I think I figure about 50 mpg, but it only a guesstimate. When I ride with buddies, it never an issue, they always have to fuel before I do. I know doing 85 though Tennessee on the slab I still got near 50 mpg. You just got to really like the mileage and being able to use REGULAR.

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank From NM

Hank - you ride the Interstate to Mountainair? Why not the back way from Tijeras down the east side of the Manzanos? Great ride, that.

I've got my Zumo set to tell me to fill up from 190 miles on. It's also set to tell me I'm empty at 220 miles. That usually works pretty well. According Fuelly, I've averaged 46.6mpg for the 70,000 (out of 93,000) miles that I've logged. Altitude seems to help fuel mileage quite a bit. Also, just like in an airplane, going downhill and downwind make a huge difference. My best mileage, 68.6, took me from the Y-Camp south of Granby (7,600') to the top of Trail Ridge Road at 12,200+, down to Greeley. It also didn't hurt that the speed limit through Rocky Mountain National Park has been reduced from 45mph to 35mph. I like it better at the slower speed because there's not as much accordion effect when some flatland tourister sees an elk.

Back
Top Bottom