Russell Day-Long Group Buy 2013-14

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Just registered @ advrider, will wait till approved, then send in my info got the ok i'm in, will wait to hear when build date is scheduled

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Just registered @ advrider, will wait till approved, then send in my info
Hey, I don't know how this group buy is working, but when I got my Russell in the fall of 2010, you ordered the saddle from Russell and then told them it was part of the (in my case FJR-Owners) Group buy.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Hey, I don't know how this group buy is working, but when I got my Russell in the fall of 2010, you ordered the saddle from Russell and then told them it was part of the (in my case FJR-Owners) Group buy.
Yep, that's what I did last year. Order process went well. The saddle is great.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
From what I have seen, a forum will have the signups like this so they will tell RDL we have XX number of people ready to go on this....as a means of trying to get RDL to go along with the group buy. Apparently, they are busy enough as is, so group buys probably borderline on not being worth it for them.

When I got mine from the group buy through the vulcan bagger forums last year, that is how they did it - used the volume of people that signed up to help convince RDL. Then we had to wait until Nov or Dec for a decision from RDL on whether or not they were going to do it. When they green lighted it, THEN everyone sent in their RDL order forums with the group buy noted.

I haven't read the ADV Rider thread, but it is my guess it is something similar. RDL won't commit until they get closer to winter.

For anyone that has been considering these - and yes they ARE expensive - the group buy is THE best way to save money on getting one. When all was said and done, my vinyl one came to $400 or $420 or something like that. Considering the amount of use you get out of it - every minute you're riding - this is some of the best farkle money you can spend imo.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Just to let everyone know who might be interested in this group buy of a Russell Day Long seat, the organizer on the ADV Rider forum has cut off the list at 150.

However, if you're interested. you might still want to check out the thread and subscribe to it. I'm sure some folks will drop out - and I might be one of them. I have a long ride planned for early December and I'll want the RDL before then. The group buy might not happen until mid to late November, and that would be too late for me.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
And just a heads up - the list actually doesn't mean much. If RDL decides to green liht a group buy this year, they will likely take the frist X number of orders that mention the group buy. Being on a list on the ADV rider forums won't really mean anything.

So like Doug mentioned, if you're interested, just subscribe to the thread so you'll be aware if RDL moves ahead with it - which would be probably mid November when they make the announcement.

I'm basing this off how they did it last year.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
here is the latest from ADVRIDER

Ok folks, surprisingly I just heard from Kim at RDL. She asked that I post that they have decided they are NOT doing a group buy this year and that if they do it will be open to all and posted on their website and to keep an eye there to see if a sale is going to happen. Sorry folks. Have a safe riding season.

so will have to keep watch of RDL website. i was trying and did get on the 150 list of advrider, but all for naught

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
If I remember correctly from last year, when RDL finally deciced to have the "group buy" they accepted the first 100 orders that came in after their opening date/time regardless of whether or not you were on a list or not. Most of us had the order already filled out and just hit the "send" button when they opened it up.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Hey Woodaddict - I wouldn't throw in the towel. If I were you, I'd check in on the thread on ADV rider daily starting on Nov 1 (or subscribe to the thread). RDL will say no right now because they don't want people to not place order today because they're holding out for a possible group buy discount later.

Unless you need the saddle asap, give it some time and it's possible the group buy will happen later in the year!

Top Bottom