Russell or Bill Mayer ?

Fisherdave

The other day I jumped on my brother's BMW. He just picked up a Bill Mayer seat from eBay & I wanted to see what that was like. I have to say I was very impressed. The seat was somewhat wider than the OEM seat, but does not appear to be as wide as the Russell.

I currently have the Sargent seat from MCL & I was pretty happy with it until I rode on the Bill Mayer seat. I do realize that seat comfort is subjective, but the Bill Mayer seat just seemed more supportive. I know that he sold his company to Russell a while ago & that the seat design seems to be similar. I also don't think I have heard of many riders that didn't like their Russell seats.

I called Bill Mayer & talked with Rocky & he seemed to be a pretty good guy to deal with. I think the Bill Mayer seat is somewhat more expensive, but not by all that much.

I have read most all of the threads that pertain to Russell & Bill Mayer seats (I think). Does anybody out there have a better perspective on the two seats?

I may have a Sargent for sale.........

Thanks in advance. I'm always amazed at the range and depth of experience I find here on NT-Owners.
Dave

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Dave, when I started riding I had an aftermarket seat by somebody on my '83 Silverwing. It was a very comfortable seat. The next year I bought a '99 Kawasaki Concours and the seat wasn't very good. I kept looking for "cheap" fixes. I rode with a Hartco sheepskin seat cover for a year and it worked pretty well, but started wearing out along the seams and still wasn't great for longer days.

I didn't want to spend the money on a Russell, and I ended up getting a Rick Mayer seat.

Rick and Rocky are brothers. Their dad invented the DayLong and sold the company to Russell. Rick and Rocky's seats don't have the transverse spring under the seat that the Russell does. I've heard good things about the saddles both brothers make.

But my personal experience with Rick wasn't that great. I bought a vinyl seat with the "pocket" on both rider and pillion position. My part of the seat was an improvement over the Connie's original saddle, but the pillion position was worse than stock. Plus my vinyl rider portion came apart at the seam in less than a year. My biggest issue with Rick was customer service and communication. When I bought the saddle, I shipped it to him in advance of the build date he'd committed to five weeks in advance of the build date. He had promised I'd have the saddle within ten days of the build date he'd set.

I had the saddle to him a week ahead of that date. I didn't get it back for over six weeks. I emailed him -- many, many times. I called him during the hours he said he said that he answered the phone. He didn't answer and I left messages nearly every day for three weeks. Finally, I called information and got a home phone number. I called that one night and his daughter answered the phone and called him to it. When I told him who I was and why I was calling he reamed me out because I was calling him at home. I reamed right back, telling him that if he'd keep his promise about delivery and/or answer my calls and emails he wouldn't have to worry about me calling him at home. He told me that he'd been at BMW rallies and hadn't been able to answer the calls and emails. I "suggested" that he needed help with communication even if he didn't need help with saddle-making. He finally got the saddle back to me, but I'd had to borrow another one from a friend to make that summer's long ride.

When the original saddle came apart, getting it repaired wasn't quite that bad, mainly because I had bought a used stock saddle and ordered a Russell. When I got Rick's repaired saddle back, I sold it to a Concours Owners Group member who didn't like it much and sold it soon after he bought it from me.

From what I hear Rocky is much with his customer service and his saddles are quite good. Don't know if they are better than my Russell, though. I've had two: one that I used on both of my Connies and the one I've got on my NT. I would probably order another Russell today if I knew I was buying another bike next month (and if it wasn't going to be an NT that I could transfer this Russell to).

So I guess the only thing I've done is tell you I like Russell a lot and that I wouldn't buy a saddle from Rick Mayer. That probably doesn't help you much.

Oh, well. You get what you pay for. :)

I will throw in one more piece of unsolicited advice/opinion: Don't get a Corbin! I rode with one on my first Connie for a couple hundred miles. It was hard as a rock, added 15-20 pounds to the weight of the already top-heavy Concours and transmitted vibration to a sensitive part of my anatomy, putting that sensitive part to sleep.

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The other day I jumped on my brother's BMW. He just picked up a Bill Mayer seat from eBay & I wanted to see what that was like. I have to say I was very impressed. The seat was somewhat wider than the OEM seat, but does not appear to be as wide as the Russell.

I currently have the Sargent seat from MCL & I was pretty happy with it until I rode on the Bill Mayer seat. I do realize that seat comfort is subjective, but the Bill Mayer seat just seemed more supportive. I know that he sold his company to Russell a while ago & that the seat design seems to be similar. I also don't think I have heard of many riders that didn't like their Russell seats.

I called Bill Mayer & talked with Rocky & he seemed to be a pretty good guy to deal with. I think the Bill Mayer seat is somewhat more expensive, but not by all that much.

I have read most all of the threads that pertain to Russell & Bill Mayer seats (I think). Does anybody out there have a better perspective on the two seats?

I may have a Sargent for sale.........
Thanks in advance. I'm always amazed at the range and depth of experience I find here on NT-Owners.
Dave

You know there is another brother that builds seats. Rick Mayer. http://www.rickmayercycle.com/ I like Ricks Stitching better.

View attachment 8759

View attachment 8760

View attachment 8761

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Dave,

I imagine you will get some feedback to your question. I had Rocky build a seat for my 2000 Kawaskie Concours. I loved it !!! workmanship and fit were absolutely perfect. I did a ride in to Pittsburg CA (Bay Area) when he was working out of there in early 2001. I put around 25-35,000 miles on the Concours before I sold it and upgraded to my 01 GoldWing.. The only reason I didn't have a BMS on my wing was that Rocky did not want to build one for the bike, thus I ended up with a Rich's built in Seattle area. It also was good and held up well for 100,000 miles of hard useage. Along the way Rocky moved his operation to Southern CA and I decided to try a Russell on a KLR, then another Russell on a VLX ,and then on my NT. I also purchased a 96 BMW R850 R that had a dual Russell on it. If Rocky had chosen to build a seat for the GL1800 in 2004 He probably would have built the seats for the last three seats I had done, but I am a confirmed Russell customer now. 500 miles closer to the facility for a ride in appointment I also have a seat builder in my back yard here in Oregon and he does nice work as well. BUT the Russell system has worked very well for me and I do believe in the old saying , if it ain't broke don't fix it! I will also say that Rocky's brother Rick Mayer also builds seats using similar methods to Rocky's NOT the same, and although I have seen and sat on Rick's seats I do not like them as much as a BMS.

I have nearly 45,000 miles on my most recent Russell purchase and I am thrilled every time I set on it! If I should change bikes tomorrow there is no doubt in my mind who I would have build my next seat. My local guy rebuilt my seat for my 01 HD Ultra classic and I have over 25,000 on it and it still works well, but If I should happen to break down and upgrade to a new HD I am 99% certain I would be setting up a ride in appointment at Russell for as soon as they could fit me into their schedual.

13 years of custom seats and close to 200,00 miles . In my book there is only one way to goif you want the best. You can spend a lot of dollars experiementing and not being happy with the results. another member of this forum was considering other varribles and I passed my thoughts on to him. He opted fro a ride in to Russlle and as far as I know he has never regretted his decision. H may chime in on this when he see's it.

Eldon

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
. . . In my book there is only one way to goif you want the best. You can spend a lot of dollars experiementing and not being happy with the results. another member of this forum was considering other varribles and I passed my thoughts on to him. He opted fro a ride in to Russlle and as far as I know he has never regretted his decision. H may chime in on this when he see's it.

Eldon
Don't know if I am the one you are referring to, Eldon - but I listened to you and many others and chose the Russel. Am very very happy with the seat.

Bike
Doug,

I was thinking of someone else quite awhile before you joined us, but I am glad my rambling was useful to you.

I can't think of anything more miserable at the end of a day that a case of seat rash!

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I've heard great things about one of the mayer brothers' saddles - but I forget which one. But you'll hear plenty of praise on these forums for the Russell Day Longs - it's the one many here have opted for. I have one as well and think it's the greatest. But I can't comment on how it is compared to a mayer as I've never used theirs. I got in on a 20% off group purchase and got my russell for $430 or so - but my bike has a separate rider and pillion seat so i did just the rider one, which saved me some money. that isn't an option on the NT where it's one big pan for both seats.

mine is the half moon pattern, with basket weave stitch

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I had a Russell on mine and loved it. If I ever have another seat done it will be with them.

The Guzzi is my 'cheap' bike so I did my own seat on it. Almost as comfortable as the Russell, but, it's needs a couple more tweaks.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I ended up with a Rich's built in Seattle area
So did I. It is very comfortable, and if you are able to ride there, Rich has a very nice shop with overnight accommodations. He is far from the least expensive, but he does excellent work, and the customer service was far better than expected. I was involved in each step of the process, and he worked till I felt it was perfect.

Bike
I agree Ken, Rich does very nice work. I have seen pictures of his new facility. The old one was in Seattle proper on or near to old 99 . There was a little motel there and a restaurant, but I spent the night with my son who was in Pullaup the night before and the night after. I personally do not care to ride in Seattle area if I can avoid it, thus another reason I went to Russell is the son I stayed with in Pullaup is now in Ashland Or so his place is a easy 1/2 way point when going and coming, and I also have friends in the Yuba City area of California.

Bike
On Rob's point about solo seat, If yu are carrying a regular pinion passenger you can have it built for both of you, in my case I have mine built for me only, the rear section ic recovered with its original material in most cases and is not a expensive job. This is off top of my memory bank, but I think my lat three Russell's were in the 625. 00 range ad that was with leather insert for my butt to ride on, I also purchased thiere nice little rain cover for a extra few dollars. The ride in appointment is I think a extra $80.00 and I have done that every time as I did with all of the seats I have had my body supported on. Is it worthwhile? TO me yes!!! even if I were in the eastern side of the country I would, fortunately I have a pretty permanent kitchen pass unless something unexpected happens. that requires my presence at home. I like the idea that I know how it feels before the final cover goes onto I, and if there is a problem it can be fixed right there on the spot. I am awae that some of the east coast riders don't choose to ide to the west coast for a seat, and many of you have had very good luck by following measuring instructions closely. I still think Russell and Riches in that order and can say I have had outstanding service from both of their products.

Eldon

Bike
Ken,

I am aware that he is in Kingston , LOL my short term memory couldn't pull that out, I am aware tha I can ge to it by going up the west side and miss all of seattle traffic. I have been tha way chasing bonus sites. I do not remember when he moved to the Kingston location , butt it was quite awhile after 04 as it was fall of 04 when he did my seat on the GL1800.

LOPL we agree about Seattle , I will add big truck to the other modes of getting around there. I would much rather do Los Angeles, or even the Bay area excepting down town SF than Seattle. I imagine some of our Seattle area members will disagree with me. We all live where we live and ge used to dealing with the local situations in our local area. I understand tha , Butt as a sort of country boy I do not like any of the big cities etc an I will avoid them when possible ! I am not quite a perinoid as one of my good friends who has a daughter who lives somewhere norh of Seattle. When he goes to visit her he goes via 97 and Hwy20 coming into Mt Vernon.

Eldon

MAC

Dave,
Just to throw one other seat into the mix. After looking at and trying a couple seats from friends, I decided to go with LAAM custom seats from redding, ca. When you call and what I liked you talk to Seth Laam. The turn around was 16 days, it took a week in shiping each way for the seat alone.
I rode some 100-150 mile rides before my trip of 2500. Our first day was a 633 mile jaunt, when we got off the road for the night I wasn't a bite sore any where and this made me a believer of Seth's ability to build a great seat. Seth's seat cost me $ 440.00 and is half the money of Russell. Not sure about the others, but Seth pays shiping back to you after his build and sends a jar of conditioner
for the seat.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Corbin is weird. The "Gunfighter" I have on my FJ1200 is very comfortable....:D The Corbin for the NT was a vinyl wrapped 2'X8' at best...:( And I had to remove my Fuzebox and aux wiring to get it to fit since the seat pan was larger than the stock NT. The NT Corbin didn't last more than a couple hundred miles before it was passed on to someone else on the forum...

Top Bottom