Saddle Bag latch system

I'm looking at a 2010 NV700T ABS. Upon reading some reviews I found that a big problem is the saddlebag latch system. Is there a lot of trouble with them or was this just a fluke happening by the test riders. Hee is the article: and if this is common is there a fix? did Honda ever do a recall or service bulletin?

The problem is in the latch system. It’s highly complex and quite persnickety. On three different occasions, I had latch failures–and the failure was different every time. One failure scuttled a holiday trip, as the bag keyhole hung tightly onto the key, as it won’t release it unless the bag is latched shut, which it wouldn’t do due to a broken spring.

A second failure occurred out in the middle of nowhere. In that case, the spring slipped off the latch, so it wouldn’t click shut. I had to right back to civilization with the bag hanging open.

Finally, and this was the last straw, it simply popped open on the freeway, and a $5000 camera was dangling by a strap. The latch lever wasn’t functioning properly in this case–it feigned being latched, but it was not.

Looking at the design of the Honda NT700V bags, it’s hopelessly complicated, especially compared with something like an Aprilia Mana GT 850, where all the hardware is external.

The bags are beautiful to behold, but there is no way to be sure the puny latches and springs are in place and doing their job. A reliability issue like this is very un-Hondalike, and makes it difficult to feel confident loading anything in the bags (which could also use a liner). It’s a problem that we would very much like to see addressed.

Here is the ad for the bike, he is asking $3000

The Honda NT700V motorcycle has a solidly tested engine that has proven itself in Europe. A number of European police departments used this motorcycle in cities. It is a very comfortable bike to ride, reliable, low maintenance, shaft drive, great mileage with a 5.2 gallon tank. It comes with heated grips. It has 2 integrated luggage bags in the rear with a passage that connects both bags. At the rear there is a larger luggage bag that fits 2 helmets. Plenty of luggage space. This is the ABS model. Only 23,000 miles. See specks below and two reviews when the bike was first introduced in the U.S.A.

I'm looking at a 2010 NV700T ABS. Upon reading some reviews I found that a big problem is the saddlebag latch system. Is there a lot of trouble with them or was this just a fluke happening by the test riders. Hee is the article: and if this is common is there a fix? did Honda ever do a recall or service bulletin?

The problem is in the latch system. It’s highly complex and quite persnickety. On three different occasions, I had latch failures–and the failure was different every time. One failure scuttled a holiday trip, as the bag keyhole hung tightly onto the key, as it won’t release it unless the bag is latched shut, which it wouldn’t do due to a broken spring.

A second failure occurred out in the middle of nowhere. In that case, the spring slipped off the latch, so it wouldn’t click shut. I had to right back to civilization with the bag hanging open.

Finally, and this was the last straw, it simply popped open on the freeway, and a $5000 camera was dangling by a strap. The latch lever wasn’t functioning properly in this case–it feigned being latched, but it was not.

Looking at the design of the Honda NT700V bags, it’s hopelessly complicated, especially compared with something like an Aprilia Mana GT 850, where all the hardware is external.

The bags are beautiful to behold, but there is no way to be sure the puny latches and springs are in place and doing their job. A reliability issue like this is very un-Hondalike, and makes it difficult to feel confident loading anything in the bags (which could also use a liner). It’s a problem that we would very much like to see addressed.

The Honda NT700V motorcycle has a solidly tested engine that has proven itself in Europe. A number of European police departments used this motorcycle in cities. It is a very comfortable bike to ride, reliable, low maintenance, shaft drive, great mileage with a 5.2 gallon tank. It comes with heated grips. It has 2 integrated luggage bags in the rear with a passage that connects both bags. At the rear there is a larger luggage bag that fits 2 helmets. Plenty of luggage space. This is the ABS model. Only 23,000 miles. See specks below and two reviews when the bike was first introduced in the U.S.A.
This might help figure out the latches

Hi, Joe. There is the most common problem with the NT -- the latch system. Unfortunately, this seems to be a very Honda-like engineering issue. In the 7-year history of the NT700, nothing was ever done to rectify the issue. I had my latch system completely replaced under warranty at about 50K miles. I continued to have problems with it and bought a set of external latches. One of these days, I'm going to get around to putting them on my 2nd NT. I traded my first one (serial # 00079) at 138,000 miles for a second one (serial #00063) that only had 22,000 miles. So far, the new one doesn't have any issues with the latches.

The first time one of my panniers came open I was riding 80 miles from Ft Morgan, CO, to a doctor's appointment in Denver. I had gone maybe 10 miles on I-76 when a friend of mine past me. Bob drove fast and I tucked in behind him he turned when we got into Denver. I rode another 10 miles or so before I got to the doc's office. I hit one of those raised parking lot entrances and heard the pannier lid bounce. I thought it had just come open, but after I got home that night, Bob called me and asked if I'd meant to have the bag open while I was on the freeway! Duh....no! I had a book, three bills in their envelope and my check book in that pannier and they were all still there! In 2013, I did my "Epic Post-Retirement Ride" with both panniers packed full. I had a pannier bag and it was zipped but other things were loose in the pannier (gloves, a bottle of wine, a cane, and some other things. I was on my 79th day of the 80-trip and was west of Des Moines doing about 80, when a guy in a pickup pulled up along side me and started pointing down toward the left rear of my bike. I pulled over and, sure enough, the pannier was open. I couldn't get it closed so I rode about 6-7 miles to an exit. I had some tools and learned that the best things to work on the latch was a needle-nose pliers and a small forceps that I had. I didn't have any more trouble on the trip. My dealer did some work and the latch worked without much trouble for quite a while. Until, about a month before I traded bikes, I started having trouble securely closing the left bag and being able to open the right one. I've been surprised that I've never lost anything out of an open pannier, although I've tried not to push my luck by riding 80 miles with one open since that first time!

I'll get the external latches installed when I start having trouble with the new ones.

Zinc Alloy Draw Latch 3" Non-Locking Replace Southco V7-20-101-50 for Saddlebags Check these out. A post from long ago recommended these. I put one on and it works great. Can get locking or non on Amazon for less than 10 bucks.

The latch system really isn't that complicated. The way people talk you would think it's a Swiss watch. At its core it's simply a pull cable mechanism. Well so is the clutch and throttle. I was able to figure out it's working principles after poking around with a flashlight and inspection mirror for about 15 minutes. I am by no means an engineer.

I posted a detailed write up starting here: https://www.nt-owners.org/forums/th...d-help-lock-bar-orientation.12619/post-168755

The most common failure point is the plastic on the lids where the pair of strikers (81316-MEW-D20) are secured. The plastic posts will crack. A very easy solution is to reinforce this area with a two part epoxy. I unintentionally tested the efficacy of this in a very hard slam to the pavement. Posted about that here: https://www.nt-owners.org/forums/th...t-is-very-effective-highside-aftermath.12863/

I am not scared of the latch system. Draw latches are a viable solution, but after two cross country rides, and repeated use of the left lid on almost every ride my latch mechanism is still working. Besides reinforcing the plastic on the lids, by far the most important is the instructions Honda put in the owner's manual on closing the lids. All it takes is a gentle push and there should be a nice "click" as the latch mechanism secures. If you're getting resistance, STOP and do not force the lids closed. Open the lid, and check that nothing is draped over the gasket sandwiching itself between the lid and the bike. Anyone with draw latches installed should also be taking the same precaution.

The most common failure point is the plastic on the lids where the pair of strikers (81316-MEW-D20) are secured.

Oddly enough, in over 140,000 miles on my two NTs, I've never had that failure. All of mine have been in the mechanism of the draw latches themselves. I think, but don't know, that my problems have been related to the little springs (SPRING, SADDLEBAG CATCH 77266-MEW-D40 (2 on each side) and SPRING A, SADDLEBAG CATCH 77272-MEW-D40).

Oddly enough, in over 140,000 miles on my two NTs, I've never had that failure. All of mine have been in the mechanism of the draw latches themselves. I think, but don't know, that my problems have been related to the little springs (SPRING, SADDLEBAG CATCH 77266-MEW-D40 (2 on each side) and SPRING A, SADDLEBAG CATCH 77272-MEW-D40).

I purchased my NT with around 8K on the odometer. A lid already had a patch job done do to failed plastic screw post. The previous owner did an admirable repair that held up until I got the big lids installed.

A pull cables, linkage rods, and spring based latch system is so incredibly Honda seeing it on the NT shouldn't come as a surprise. I get a chuckle when I see NT owners discussing the luggage latch setup like it's alien tech. Quite the contrary. There are hundreds of thousands of such lock systems on Hondas roaming the highways of the USA.

Go look at any Honda automobile door lock hardware. Even the 2020 pilot.... you'll find pull cables, linkage rods and springs. :LOL:

In fact, a few years ago a pull cable on my Honda cage broke. It was the one that joined the outside driver's door handle to the latch. One day I grabbed the handle to open the door and was met with no resistance and no door opening. I used the key fob's remote window roll down feature and reached inside to grab the inside door handle. I had to do this until the repair part came in. The fix required removing the interior door panel. I'd much rather work on the NT saddle bags.

I have a spare cable ready to go should it happen again.

Besides reinforcing the plastic on the lids, by far the most important is the instructions Honda put in the owner's manual on closing the lids. All it takes is a gentle push and there should be a nice "click" as the latch mechanism secures. If you're getting resistance, STOP and do not force the lids closed.
BTDT on my GF's '07 NT700... masking tape to prevent spill/overflow, silicone oil on the bolts (as release agent), one of those 5 minute epoxy syringes, done...
And since is was too hard for her to push the lids closed (you'd almost tipped the bike over if not grabbing the passenger handle with the other hand), I added some nylon washers under the strikers to achieve less pressure on the seals; now she can close them easily...
As a side note: the mechanism on my friend's 2014 NT700 work noticeable smoother, one can close the lids with 2 fingers... OTOH only 6000 miles on the clock...

Well I didn't get that one but still looking. The bike had a lot of scratches on the tank, and was at 23,9XX miles so it is due for he 24000 mile service. I just didn't get that GOT TO HAVE THIS ONE feeling. Thank for all the replies. I did work the bags and they did seem to work good I closed them and put light pressure on both latches at the same time when I closed the bags.

Zinc Alloy Draw Latch 3" Non-Locking Replace Southco V7-20-101-50 for Saddlebags Check these out. A post from long ago recommended these. I put one on and it works great. Can get locking or non on Amazon for less than 10 bucks.
I did as well, work great no ignition key needed.

Start here with my tread on the subject. External Latches - Brillot2000

You’re going to have to scan through all my post. There’s a template you can printout and tape down to drill the holes and other important details regarding the installation.

Good Luck.

This might help figure out the latches
Great Video! wish I had seen this before I rode the bike!, I live in Florida and a friend found an NT for sale in Michigan where he lives. I bought the bike and flew to Michigan last summer, he picked me up at the airport, drove to his house and we proceeded to go on a 100 mile afternoon ride. the bike was like brand new with 5000 miles, very smooth and comfortable. The next day we took off with 4 other guys for a 5 day 1700 mile tour to the Upper Penninsula of Mich. and all around the state.
Had a great trip, especially after not riding more than about 50 miles at a time for over 10 years and totally unprepared. Anyways, the bike didnt have a top trunk so i probably over packed the side bags and had some trouble working the latches but got them to close and take off. After a few nights on the road it wouldnt close and one of my riding buddies "helped" me slam it shut. Well, after that it wouldnt do anything and I found the little steel loop piece laying in the box broke off. Close investigation showed remnants of gray epoxy where it had been "fixed" before. Well, grabbed some duct tape and finished the last couple days holding the broken side up. (at least I found red duct tape, bike color, lol). When we got back, I had to catch a plane in the morning but re-epoxied the latch first and seemed to hold. (JB Weld). I shipped the bike to FLA a couple months later and have used the side latch many times and it's working fine. The key is aligning both latches and pressing shut together firmly. I dont know that I will trust it without some kind of back-up on a long trip with valuables but it has worked around town ok for now. Anyways, I love the bike other than that, thats my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom