Saddle Sore Musings

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I've been thinking on again, off again for a few years about a SS1K attempt. Once again I am thinking about it. Why I started thinking about pulling the trigger in high Summer is beyond me.
Choosing a route seems to be the toughest part for me.
I cant decide whether to make the ride interesting or as easy as possible. (and by interesting I mean scenic, off the slab)
IF I make the trip easy I will be more comfortable doing the bulk of the ride at night but If I take the scenic route, I'll want to ride in daylight hours for safety.

I could do the whole ride without leaving Texas but the winds in West Texas are too taxing

Right now the easiest simplest route for me is
Dallas>Memphis>Jackson>Dallas triangle.

But Id like to do some of it in the Ozarks if possible. The only way to make that happen without going thru some dicey mountain roads is to ride out and back, which for me, would be psychologically taxing.
I think a loop is easier on the mind than going out for 8 plus hours then turning around and doing it all over

Thoughts from those of you with certified Iron Butts???

Clay

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Being an old codger, I tried to make my first attempt at a SS1K as easy as possible as I was uncertain that I had it in me to complete. I picked a Saturday in June as close to the Summer Solstice as possible.... the longest period of daylight. I planned a route that was >500 miles out and then back which turned out to be home to Wichita Falls, TX and back. I left very early in the am ~400 so that my travels in the dark there and back would be on I44 which I am very familiar with. Other than very tiring, it was quite easy as I monitored my travels to make sure I stayed on my projected time tables. This gave me the assurance of time to take a rest break when needed. The only thing I didn't plan for was the OK Turnpike and the toll stops. If I were to do it again, I would have obtained in advance a toll pass to avoid stopping to pay the tolls. In any event, it really had little effect on my ride, it was just something I neglected to plan for.

How you attempt your ride is up to you. I think that if I had to do it all over again, I would once again choose the ride that would maximize my chances of success. Remember, you are not limited to just one ride. Once you get the SS1K under your belt, you can attempt more challenging, more scenic rides as you so desire. Which ever choice you make, good luck!

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I agree with Mike. Make it easy. I have found out and backs do not seem repetitive. When you ride out you are mostly looking at the right side of the road. On the way back its the other side. I have been surprised at the things I have seen on the ride back that I had not noticed on the way out

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I watched a video of a guy who went as far as to suggest doing a 'dry run' SS1K without documentation, just to see what the pitfalls are and plan the official ride better. This guy actually aborted several attempts before getting a certified ride on the books. (knowing when to walk away is a good thing)
I doubt I will make a run without trying to make it official.

When I do go, it'll probably be a decision I make on a Friday afternoon and just get up early on Sat and go.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I watched a video of a guy who went as far as to suggest doing a 'dry run' SS1K without documentation, just to see what the pitfalls are and plan the official ride better. This guy actually aborted several attempts before getting a certified ride on the books. (knowing when to walk away is a good thing)
I doubt I will make a run without trying to make it official.

When I do go, it'll probably be a decision I make on a Friday afternoon and just get up early on Sat and go.
To me a dry run without documentation is pointless, a wasted effort. The documentation doesn't take long at all, you just must be very careful that it is done correctly and that none of your documentation gets lost.... your tank bag is your friend. I also used my Spot Tracker as a backup to track my trip and had my local police department lined up to document my departure and arrival. A dry run is OK, just make it count!

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If I were doing a SS1K from Dallas and wanted to try something with a bit of adventure in it, I'd look at going up to Antlers, the Talhina Parkway (OK-1), Mena, Hot Springs, AR-7, (or maybe omit Hot Springs and take AR-27 from Mt Ida to Danville), 21 from Clarksville to St Paul, then Siloam Springs in OK, and then whatever to get back to Dallas with more than 1000 miles and less than 24 hours.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
SS1000 are fairly easy. 1st was 1,040 mile in 21 hrs 10 minutes. All in NC except slight corner of TN. Horrendous rain along coast, but I kept going. It was mid March. Didn't start to get warm until Charlotte, from coast, and that was about 1/2 way.

2nd one was from Seminole, OK to Salisbury, NC. 1078 miles 17hrs 6 min, basically all I40. Would have had faster time then, but hit torrential rain in eastern TN, lost 45 minutes. So just do it....a SS1500 in 24 hrs is much harder

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
If I were doing a SS1K from Dallas and wanted to try something with a bit of adventure in it, I'd look at going up to Antlers, the Talhina Parkway (OK-1), Mena, Hot Springs, AR-7, (or maybe omit Hot Springs and take AR-27 from Mt Ida to Danville), 21 from Clarksville to St Paul, then Siloam Springs in OK, and then whatever to get back to Dallas with more than 1000 miles and less than 24 hours.
Phil
I have ridden each of the roads you suggest multiple times. All of them are GREAT rides. Mid to Northern Arkansas is kind of my playground, but I don't think I'd be comfortable riding any of those roads at highways speeds after sunset. I once rode AR7 after dark from Hot Springs to I40 (in the rain) it was not fun.

I think if I was going to try to make the ride mildly interesting I would make my way up 69 to I40 and catch I49 north out of Ft Smith up to I44 then go northeast for a while, then just double back

Most likely for a certification run I will stick to the Dallas/Memphis/Jackson/Dallas Triangle
Date of attempt will likely be a gametime decision

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
RedNigel wrote: "I think if I was going to try to make the ride mildly interesting I would make my way up 69 to I40 and catch I49 north out of Ft Smith up to I44 then go northeast for a while, then just double back."

Sounds like a sensible plan and a good ride. Enjoy! I personally like IBR cert rides, but probably won't do many more. I enjoyed riding to Billings and back (on two different days) for our denomination's Annual Conference meeting a few weeks ago. 523 miles each way, both times in about 8 hours, 30 minutes.

Top Bottom