Saddlebag latches broken

Bike
2010 marroon NT700V
The plastic posts that hold the saddle bag (pannier) latch snapped off on the left side. Same thing about to happen on the right side. Glad I had two keys on me. I taped to lid closed and with the key still in the side release key holder, I made it home.

I've gently used these latches over the years after reading the notorious nature of these latches. But, same outcome.

Posts I have found remedy this with epoxy. So I am in the process of reconstructing the posts. Any other thoughts or ideas.
latch closeup.JPGlatch with key and parts.JPG

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Lots of folks mount external latches. I've got some and will use them the next time my latches fail. This set of latches has been on the bike for 80K miles and usually works with no problems. Every now and then, the right side is hard to get into, but I've learned how to use needle-nose pliers after removing the seat to get into it. Then it seems to work for a long time.

OP
OP
swinford57
Bike
2010 marroon NT700V
New external latches are a solid solution. Thanks for the link. I am probably headed there, so I don't have to worry about the lids popping open.

Please walk me through disengaging the the key mechanism. That is, currently the key will not lock and come out because not all the latches are activated (because one is snapped off). How do you deactivate the lock AND still maintain a seat locking ability.

Bike
2010 NT700V
New external latches are a solid solution. Thanks for the link. I am probably headed there, so I don't have to worry about the lids popping open.

Please walk me through disengaging the the key mechanism. That is, currently the key will not lock and come out because not all the latches are activated (because one is snapped off). How do you deactivate the lock AND still maintain a seat locking ability.
All I did was take the metal latch off the lid and left the mechanism in place.

Another thing I did was to use an adjustable strap to hold my bag liners and other gear away from the lids so there is no pressure against the lids. Good luck, BB

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
When I put on my external Southco latches I removed the entire lock/latch system and gave to someone else here on the forum. The result was that I cold no longer lock down my seat, but it never blew off either. It still took a good rearward tug to pull it off.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I believe you may be able to disconnect the cable from the lock under the seat. I disconnected the cable going to the right side bag but left the left still hooked up. So now my right side latches but does not lock. If that works for left side you could do that.

Brad

OP
OP
swinford57
Bike
2010 marroon NT700V
Okay, here is what happened in the end. I used two coats of JB Weld plastic bond to coat three of the posts and to rebuild the 4th post. I am a believer in epoxy now. It seems stronger than the plastic it is sticking too. I hope it's a long term solution. I will keep my eye on the plastic posts going forward. If it is not the fix, then external latches are the next step.

THANKS TO THIS FORUM FOR WALKING ME THROUGH THIS.

Here are some pictures of my problem and my fix.IMG_4417.jpgIMG_4423.jpgIMG_4547.jpgIMG_4556.jpgIMG_4561.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Hope it works well for you.
Mother Honda really should have done better on these latches.

Brad

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R

One external latch placed just below the grab handle is plenty. I opted for the equivalent to the Southco latches.

Here's a link to my thread covering these latches. Brillot2000 - Improved Pannier Latches

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Most or all of the external saddlebag latches are designed to fit on a flat surface but the mounting position on the NT saddlebag has a curvature.

Was this a problem and if so, how did you solve it? I did this once before on Deb's bike and I had to make a tapered spacer so it would work properly.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Hey - Thanks for the info about the wobble shims! It'll save me a bunch of time laboring at my bench vice with mill file in hand. :rolleyes:

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Most or all of the external saddlebag latches are designed to fit on a flat surface but the mounting position on the NT saddlebag has a curvature.

Was this a problem and if so, how did you solve it? I did this once before on Deb's bike and I had to make a tapered spacer so it would work properly.
That is not entirely true with the latches that I selected. The clasp of the latch can go past the centerline for of the pivot point for items that are not completely flat.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3

I made my own tapered shim's from plastic stock I had on hand.

Bike
2010 NT700V

I installed Southco latches without any wedges or removing the locking mechanism. I installed them three years ago, made three trips from south central Pa. all over New England and had no trouble with the latches. Adding a couple hooks inside and using a nylon strap across gear and bag liners, keeps any pressure off the lids. BB

IMG_2650.jpg

Top Bottom