San Francisco Bay Area Riding and newbie impression of the bike

Tom Pappas

Hi everyone. I have now put 2000 miles on my NT700VA since I got it used in mid-April. The bike now has 13k on it.

There are so many great rides around the Bay Area and going on the freeway can frequently be avoided. From where we live in Moraga (the East Bay area), I have ridden to places like Mount Diablo State Park, near Redwood and Chabot Parks in the Oakland Hills, Tilden Park in Berkeley, and Briones Park near Martinez, Pinole Valley, etc. Also did a nice ride out to Baker Beach and Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.

Yesterday I drove through the wine country to Santa Rosa, a 160 mile round trip. The wine country is nice but too much traffic (even on a weekday), and too much urban sprawl!

Other trips I have planned will take me to the Gold Country and Lake Tahoe, and up through Marin County to Mendocino. I am also thinking fof a drive across Nevada on Hwy 50.

Heck, I even found a way to go the 22 miles to Costco in San Ramon without having to get on a freeway!

I love the bike, but the stock windscreen is too small and I get a lot of wind buffeting on my helmet. I will probably install a Cee-Bailey with +4 inches. The bike had a custom corbin seat and the original seat when I bought it and so far I like the original seat better. The corbin sort of locks you into a forward position without much room to adjust position. But this more forward and 1" lower seat does make the windshield slightly more effective. Also, the combination of the leather seat and my Olympia mesh pants is slippery, and doesn't feel as secure as the original seat. I also need a powerlet outlet for my GPS (with Ram ball mount).

My longest day so far has been about 350 miles and aside from the too-low windshield, I was very comfortable and felt good at the end of the day.

I haven't owned a bike since 1976 (honda cb350). When I quit riding my dream bike was a BMW R75, but I never had one. To me, the NT700V is the modern version of what I wanted back in those days and I love it. The right size and weight, and I like how it sounds. A nice thumping twin exhaust that is perfect for my style of easy riding!

The big question for me will come in summer 2012 when a cross country trip is planned. I might move up to an ST1300 for that ride, but so far, I think the NT700 V could do it easily!

By the way, everyone likes my hi-vis Schuberth helmet and Olympia jacket. I was pretty self-conscious about the look but I am glad I went with it!

Safe riding everyone and look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Tom

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I quit riding my dream bike was a BMW R75,

Tom,

Bob Higdon, legal counsel and historian for the Iron Butt Association and I were talking last August and he said that the NT is the K75 BMW should have made. He had bunches and bunches of miles on K75s and loves the NT.

I've got 22,000 miles on mine, do lots of riding on the freeway at 80 or so mph (if you don't ride 80 in Colorado, you get run over), have ridden all year in all kinds of weather (with the major exception of snow). I did a 4100 mile trip to Wisconsin, Michigan, the Upper Peninsula, around Lake Superior and back last summer, and will leave on Wednesday for a 2500+ trip to Texas on my NT. I'm loving mine!

I used to live in Santa Rosa, but didn't ride back then... but I did learn to fly that year.

Welcome to the best Forum I've ever been on!

OP
OP

Tom Pappas

Yup your hooked on the NT.... Just curious your height and inseam? I was thinking about a Corbin seat down the road as well as the plus 4 windshield. I am 5' 7" with a 31" inseam and the full up windshield position the top of the windshield is right in the field of view, i.e. eye level. The reason I have held off is the Corbin riding position of 1 " down and 1.5" forward seems to be my normal commuting seat position but full back is my normal interstate position. I like the option to shift where I am seated. Thus I have held off on any purchases to decide which way to go. The optional wind deflectors did reduce the side buffeting for me and in the rain the gloves are much dryer.
I am just over 6' tall, with a 31" inseam. Stock windshield in high position comes to about my chin. I agree with you that it is nice to change positions, when using the original seat, but the Corbin doesn't allow any movement.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you were able to find a well sorted out NT. Enjoy.

Top Bottom